What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here ya go!

https://www.browneyedbaker.com/soft-pretzel-nuggets-with-spicy-cheese-dipping-sauce/
One thing I did differently was to bake the baking soda in the oven for a couple hours at 275*. It apparently converts it from sodium bicarbonate to sodium carbonate (more alkali) and makes it act more like lye which is used in many pretzel recipes.
Not apparently, it does at temps above 176f. It releases CO2 and H2O. This happens naturally during baking which is why Baking soda helps to rise.
Converting Bicarb to Carbonate before will reduce some of the "rise" since the H2O and CO2 have been released.

Not apparently, it does at temps above 176f. It releases CO2 and H2O. This happens naturally during baking which is why Baking soda helps to rise.
Converting Bicarb to Carbonate before will reduce some of the "rise" since the H2O and CO2 have been released.
In this recipe the baking soda is used in the boiling water, not as the rising agent in the pretzel. I would think that boiling it would have the same effect as pre-baking though.

NY Strips on the Blackstone griddle
IMG_20200928_185927.jpg

In this recipe the baking soda is used in the boiling water, not as the rising agent in the pretzel. I would think that boiling it would have the same effect as pre-baking though.

It supposedly does not. Boiling water is only 212 degrees F. To convert sodium bicarbonate to sodium carbonate you need a higher temperature I believe. Simple enough to test though, if you have a pH meter. And even when using food grade lye in standard pretzels, the alkaline agent is added to the boiling water.

It supposedly does not. Boiling water is only 212 degrees F. To convert sodium bicarbonate to sodium carbonate you need a higher temperature I believe. Simple enough to test though, if you have a pH meter. And even when using food grade lye in standard pretzels, the alkaline agent is added to the boiling water.
Conversion begins at 176f. However, I don't know the time it would take to convert.

I use to make pretzels and the lye or baking soda is used in the boiling water. It not only gives them their shinny chewy crust but also that pretzel flavor. I'll have to make some now.

I cooked a pot of Mom's chicken and dumplings. I didn't take a pic sorry. I loved cooking with mom she was a wonderful country cook and worked in some very nice restaurants. Minnesota Fats use to come to the Perfection Club and ask " Is Juanita cooking?" If they said yes Fats would say "then I'm eating". She told me once she liked my chicken and dumplings better than hers. I preferred Mom's.

View attachment 701746
Spatchcocked
Chicken on the grill. It’s great!
Great minds. I decided the one thing I have not yet done on the new grill is smoke a spatchcocked chicken. Just added the chicken to the grocery list and will cook it tomorrow!! Looks delicious!

The last few turkeys I have cooked were all spatchcocked too. Just a fantastic way to cook poultry.

Went to a place that claims it's "the largest Asian mart in Michigan," called 168 Asian Mart. I wouldn't doubt that it's the largest. I couldn't find what I was looking for easily and didn't recognize 70% of the items. The photos I glanced at on their website don't do it justice as far as size goes.
In any case, I had a go at a vegetable curry using thick noodles, roasted cauliflower and roasted carrots. No complaints.
currry101120.jpg

Nice looking crumb on that sourdough and the steak looks perfect.
Thanks, hubby doesn’t like sourdough overly crusty so I pull it out of the oven before it gets dark.
730BB1E6-DE97-49BD-B5F3-0EC51D1991EF.jpeg

I thought this roast was pork when I brought it out to thaw, but it was really eye round. So beef again tonight.

Back