What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My attempt with what I had in the pantry
I was pleased, surprisingly so
IMG_20200528_171829.jpg

[
You fried your own shells. In my opinion, that puts them over the top. I don't make corn or flour tortillas from scratch but I do fry the raw corn tortillas or flour tortillas. So easy and well worth it but nobody I know likes to do it.

These are a couple of the Waygu burgers cooked MR. My wife procured 24# of high quality meat. Now we need a dedicated freezer. I believe she was built for the Zombie Apocalypse. The pineapple is for the chicken salad. None of the fun stuff for the burgers--buns, etc. since I'm watching the carbs.

bugers.jpg

[

You fried your own shells. In my opinion, that puts them over the top. I don't make corn or flour tortillas from scratch but I do fry the raw corn tortillas or flour tortillas. So easy and well worth it but nobody I know likes to do it.

Tortillas are easy to make, but they're hard to make thin.

[

Indeed I did buy fresh corn tortillas and I fried them right before dinner.

I hear you. I haven't tried it. I've watched the PBS folks do well with it. I've found there are one or two places that make the raw ones and they are very good. In Detroit, we have Mexican Village where serious skill is already in place.
I have a stable datum: if I can't make something significantly better than I can buy, I'll buy it.
When I make fried tortilla chips, there's a bit of a push and shove as to who gets to take home the remaining bag or three of chips.
What do you think the secret is to make them properly thin?

I make them all the time (made a bunch of them for enchiladas (chicken and beef, verde) this weekend. To make thin, just add more water. Yes, they are super easy to make. Here's the recipe: corn masa, water. :) I use a tortilla press lined with parchment paper. (I made fairly thick ones for the enchiladas here).

1590805211888.png

I make them all the time (made a bunch of them for enchiladas (chicken and beef, verde) this weekend. To make thin, just add more water. Yes, they are super easy to make. Here's the recipe: corn masa, water. :) I use a tortilla press lined with parchment paper. (I made fairly thick ones for the enchiladas here).

View attachment 682729

Yah, but I find that they stick more the thinner they get. Double pressing works for me...press, flip, and press again.

Maybe try parchment paper. I guess it's like wax, but not sure (I've always used parchment).
Parchment is paper impregnated with silicone, so it doesn't really exhibit its nonstick, instant release properties until it's up to oven temperature, but then stays separated from the food and doesn't melt and burn once there. (Really waxed is just good for wrapping stuff cold, and if your Mom used it putting a sandwich in your Adam-12 lunchbox, she was the last one to think it was the best choice for that. ;) )

Parchment is paper impregnated with silicone, so it doesn't really exhibit its nonstick, instant release properties until it's up to oven temperature, but then stays separated from the food and doesn't melt and burn once there. (Really waxed is just good for wrapping stuff cold, and if your Mom used it putting a sandwich in your Adam-12 lunchbox, she was the last one to think it was the best choice for that. ;) )

Haha, I grew up in Parchment Michigan. Grandpa was a lifetime employee of the paper company there (KVP). Believe me, it was the only paper of its type in the house.

Don't know what most of that is but it looks great.

Refried beans with dry chorizo. It was semi cured chorizo actually. Normal Mexican chorizo is raw and not cured. Not very common item outside of Spain, Portugal, Argentina and a couple other south American countries. Luckily our Latino market is well stocked with many things. Mexican chorizo works great for refried beans too but you might want to remove some of the fat after cooking it.

And flavorless for steak. Sure its edge to edge medium rare, but the fat isn't rendered and there's no browning. Sure you can add those things but then its not edge to edge medium rare anymore.

I can see how a curry chicken would work just fine. It's a wet sauce with tons of spices. Browning flavor isn't important. Might give that a try actually. Normally i'd just cook that on the stove top since it's 1 pot and 20 minutes.

I don't see how you're getting flavorless unless you're just not seasoning it? I season with garlic salt, seal, and sous vide - length of time depends on steak cut - ribeyes I usually do 3 hours at 132*, sirloin about 6 hours at 132. I'd do it at 129* but KOTC likes his medium rare - which is a vast improvement over the medium well he ate when I married him 26 years ago!!

When the sous vide time is up, remove steak, pat dry, spray with olive oil, and throw into a screaming hot cast iron skillet 1 minute each side. Does not cook it further, just puts a lovely seared crust on each side. It's our preferred method and we have lots of choices - grill, panfry, all the usual ways, but this is best in our minds - been eating steaks most of my 66 years and find this the most delicious!

To each their own though and I seriously doubt my post will change your mind, as you seem pretty convinced that your steaks are flavorless, for which I am sorry....

Does anyone watch Sam the Cooking Guy on YouTube? He cracks me up! Anyway the other day he made chicken/bacon skewers with BBQ sauce - made them Friday but added a piece of red onion too. Turned out pretty dang tasty, but next time I'd not use the thick-cut bacon he calls for - I'd use thinner stuff so it cooks better. Homemade SF BBQ sauce with the additions he called for, brown sugar substitute instead of regular.

I remembered to take a pre-cooking photo but forgot the after! Gonna reheat them in the air fryer tonight for dinner, maybe I'll remember then....

904EAD23-6ECA-4BA4-8A62-0C2287E4633A.jpeg

Does anyone watch Sam the Cooking Guy on YouTube? He cracks me up! Anyway the other day he made chicken/bacon skewers with BBQ sauce - made them Friday but added a piece of red onion too. Turned out pretty dang tasty, but next time I'd not use the thick-cut bacon he calls for - I'd use thinner stuff so it cooks better. Homemade SF BBQ sauce with the additions he called for, brown sugar substitute instead of regular.

I remembered to take a pre-cooking photo but forgot the after! Gonna reheat them in the air fryer tonight for dinner, maybe I'll remember then....

View attachment 682987
Yes!! My wife and I are subscribed to his channel and watch his videos on the day they're released. Funny AF. There's a reason he's got nearly 2 million subscribers. If you haven't seen his kidney stone saga youtube it. I almost peed myself laughing, as well as cringed at his graphic description.

I don't see how you're getting flavorless unless you're just not seasoning it? ...

To each their own though and I seriously doubt my post will change your mind, as you seem pretty convinced that your steaks are flavorless, for which I am sorry....
I mostly agree with @schematix on this, though I disagree with lack of flavor. I do think Iget better flavor from other methods. I've done great things with SV, but I can do most steaks 10,000x better from fridge to plate in about 20 min (30-40 if I didn't preseason). That sure beats 2-3hrs.

But again, like you said, to each their own. The only "right" way is the way that consistently gives you the results you desire.

You're right, @S-Met, it does take some preplanning (not my strong suit!) but I like the results so well that I am willing to think ahead on it. I get far more consistent results this way. Although I gotta say - my new Meater is really a great way to go when the steaks are thick and you cannot beat that for rotisserie - no other good way to have a thermometer in a piece of meat going around and around AND be able to monitor it from your phone! :)

remove some of the fat
Thanks for clarifying. Removing fat is not in my vocabulary. My biggest beef (I doubt it is my biggest) is low fat chocolate milk. If you're going to have chocolate in liquid, you need to pull out the stops. Besides, when things are low fat, the fat is replaced by sugar usually so that's just crazy.

Flavorless compared to what i get on the grill.

I can see how some might like it. But I have a lot of experience grilling meat and can consistently nail it. I also like the flavor that comes from burning fat and you can't get that in a pan.

I'll also add that another reason i think hot heat methods beat SV for steak is that you get different flavors and more texture from the different layers of doneness. Adds some complexity. SV steak is just too uniform.

Last edited:
Back