What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That'll work
IMG_20200517_172816.jpg

If you brought that to the table and set it before me I'd be aghast! LOL!

Wow, interesting-looking birds. Is the meat any different than your average chicken? Also black??
No difference in color, just black skin. It's a little tougher than the regular commercial birds.

Taste-wise, its unfair to say gamey, but its definitely full flavor. More like pheasant or even turkey. Tougher, as mentioned, though our yard-bird chickens growing up were tough and flavorful too since they were really free-range. They had a coup. But thats all.

Regarding the head (comb) and feet add tons of collagens to make a rich broth. Cooked fully, its soft like beef tendon in pho. I'll admit that it looks gross, but sooo tasty!

I definitely appreciate what the critter lends to the broth but my mother would have keeled over if anyone brought that to the table in HER house so I did not grow up with such things. I learned to appreciate that stuff a bit later in life! I love bone broth and always use the wing tips, back, neck, etc. of the chicken for chicken stock but have never worked with the feet or head/combs....

I definitely appreciate what the critter lends to the broth but my mother would have keeled over if anyone brought that to the table in HER house so I did not grow up with such things. I learned to appreciate that stuff a bit later in life! I love bone broth and always use the wing tips, back, neck, etc. of the chicken for chicken stock but have never worked with the feet or head/combs....
I'm just a good ol white guy from California, but my Asian friend's parents love me. Guess its the running joke where they always pick on the white guy and serve the pig ears, chicken feet or other innards that their kids wont eat and laugh when they get grossed out. Little did they know that my family's deep roots grew up poor in depression era south. Chicken for dinner was the whole chicken. Guess We never grew out of it as we had it growing up too. We've never known any different. We were nose-to-tail way before it was cool.

I'm just a good ol white guy from California, but my Asian friend's parents love me. Guess its the running joke where they always pick on the white guy and serve the pig ears, chicken feet or other innards that their kids wont eat and laugh when they get grossed out. Little did they know that my family's deep roots grew up poor in depression era south. Chicken for dinner was the whole chicken. Guess We never grew out of it as we had it growing up too. We've never known any different. We were nose-to-tail way before it was cool.

Mexican wife ... The only thing I can't eat is brains. What's the point? They taste like sh*try scrambled eggs.

Mexican wife ... The only thing I can't eat is brains. What's the point? They taste like sh*try scrambled eggs.
Mostly agree, but add spicy sausage to the mix and its good. Or add to spaghetti. Or Moroccan spiced and seared with pita and hummus. Or miso glazed with hot chili oil.

But really, I don't go out of my way for brains, not really that flavorful and the texture is ok. Also don't care for kidney. Always has a pissy smell.

Mostly agree, but add spicy sausage to the mix and its good. Or add to spaghetti. Or Moroccan spiced and seared with pita and hummus. Or miso glazed with hot chili oil.

But really, I don't go out of my way for brains, not really that flavorful and the texture is ok. Also don't care for kidney. Always has a pissy smell.

Exactly - it's like scrambled tofu - sh*tty texture and flavorless by itself. I get it if I was slaughtering a cow and wanted to use everything; however, I'm at a taco stand on a corner with a three legged table, and a bottle of Coke. Pastor, gracias.

This!
But I'll also do Buche or Lengua tacos. It's how I judge a taco stand. And that taco better be simple: meat, cilantro, onion and a lime. Salsa on the side.

Lengua es favorito de me suegra : ) ...or something like that...

Buche is great, too! I'll go cheeks, intestines, etc...it's really just the brains (texture and no flavor = meh).

Black chicken & fresh ho-made tofu soup.
View attachment 681257
Basic simple cure-all soup. Chicken, salt, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, garlic. Served with a fresh squeeze of lime and pepper sauce.

I get the heads and feet 😋.
View attachment 681258
I know where meat comes from and I had worked with a woman who talked about how tasty chickens feet are, having the head in the bowl... I don’t know. A fish can look at me from the plate, and the head of a pig is okay, but that little chicken head, is a no for me. Thanks for sharing, though I didn’t know black chickens had black skin.

I know where meat comes from and I had worked with a woman who talked about how tasty chickens feet are, having the head in the bowl... I don’t know. A fish can look at me from the plate, and the head of a pig is okay, but that little chicken head, is a no for me. Thanks for sharing, though I didn’t know black chickens had black skin.
My wife says the same thing. She does well with fish-head soup. But she used to have to leave the room when I eat chicken feet. She's better now, at least she sit at the table now when I eat the feets.

This!
But I'll also do Buche or Lengua tacos. It's how I judge a taco stand. And that taco better be simple: meat, cilantro, onion and a lime. Salsa on the side.

And pickled red onions :D

Im lucky around here. I can get more than beef tongue. Goat and lamb tongue pop up from time to time. A simple carnita though is probably my favorite or a jerk seasoning fusion of carnitas.

LOL you guys are a tough lot!! I get the whole "nose to tail" philosophy. I just don't want a lot of that stuff on my plate. I do love some good liver, and I'll eat tongue, but I don't want no heads looking at me from my plate from
E7AD4DE1-312F-4215-84C2-7556E46EA499.jpeg

any critter!! :)

On another note - if any of you watch "Sous Vide Everything" on YouTube - LOVE Guga! Made my version of his ramen hack sliced beef soup. A lot of work but dang it was so good. KOTC kept raving over it as he ate it. Since we do keto, I used the hearts of palm noodles in it. Great substitute! I forgot to take a picture until after I started eating it so the "pretty" of the sliced sirloin is kind of lost in this picture. Had shoyu tamago (soy sauce semi-hard-cooked eggs), sliced radish, green onions, cilantro, sliced ripe Fresno Chile, and a delicious broth which had some peanut butter in it for added interest!

Last edited:
Whipped these up since i had everything on hand.
1 Medium red onion sliced thin
Pinch of salt and 2 TSP of sugar to weep the onions for 15min
1/8 Cup Acetum brand organic cider vinegar
3/8 Cup fresh squeezed lime juice
Pinch of Mexican oregano
Mix with fresh chopped cilantro or culantro just before serving (optional)
pSHp8uM.jpg

EytbZGd.jpg

All of my popover have failed the last dozen or so times. No clue!! Recipe?
What do you mean by fail? What is your result?
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-popovers-recipe
This next recipe is very close to what I do for regular popovers accept I bake them for 20 minutes then open the tops plunging two forks it to open a split in the top, the let the bake 10 minutes that step keeps them from collapsing and adds crispness.
https://barefootcontessa.com/recipes/popovers

Last edited:
What do you mean by fail? What is your result?
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-popovers-recipe
This next recipe is very close to what I do for regular popovers accept I bake them for 20 minutes then open the tops plunging two forks it to open a split in the top, the let the bake 10 minutes that step keeps them from collapsing and adds crispness.
https://barefootcontessa.com/recipes/popovers

I follow a recipe in a book called The Bread Bible, and I always had mixed results. The last dozen attempts have been not good. They're basically buttered bread unrisen muffins? Lol, they're good, but they never pop up.

I follow a recipe in a book called The Bread Bible, and I always had mixed results. The last dozen attempts have been not good. They're basically buttered bread unrisen muffins? Lol, they're good, but they never pop up.
These two recipes have workEd well for me, I preheat the oven and the popover pan, while that is happening, I mix my room temp ingredients (my old timey oven is slow so the batter gets a chance to rest). When the oven is up to temp for 15 mins, I pull the pan, grease the cups, pour the batter and they go into the oven.
May your next go at it be a success.

Back