What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buffalo-style wings with a side of rice with cilantro and lime:

3MsDie5.jpg

It seems crazy that there is that much lacto left on washed veggies to completely ferment these in 5 days!

We don't wash per se - we rinse in filtered water just to make sure there is no dirt/extraneous materials left on them. We buy organic for fermenting too, to get as much "good stuff" as we can get on them!

Happy Cinco de Mayo! Good excuse to eat something with a Mexican flair - we're gonna have taco salads made with taco-seasoned browned ground venison, fresh baby lettuces, Hatch chile guacamole, green onions, black olives, shredded cheese, whatever else I find that looks good. Oh yeah some of our home-fermented sliced radishes too! Will try to remember to get a picture later.

Anyone else doing Mexican-inspired meals today?

Happy Cinco de Mayo! Good excuse to eat something with a Mexican flair - we're gonna have taco salads made with taco-seasoned browned ground venison, fresh baby lettuces, Hatch chile guacamole, green onions, black olives, shredded cheese, whatever else I find that looks good. Oh yeah some of our home-fermented sliced radishes too! Will try to remember to get a picture later.

We're going to do something along similar lines, Mexican style stuffed peppers. Making them with red bell peppers, ground chicken flavored with taco seasoning, hatch chilis, onion, black olives, and shredded cheese.

Breakfast burrito is about as close a I'm getting today.

Attempting diy Big Mac for dinner tonight. Wife had her "every few year" crave for McD's, but always gets fast food poops and a belly ache followed by fast-food regret.

Every few years I get a craving for fast food. Sometimes the commercials make their food actually look good. Then I feel sad after eating as it usually is less than satisfying as compared to a good burger.

Have you seen this version? Maybe some hints in there for you.

I haven't. I just paid attention to a mcd add to see what a big mac looks like. I dont think I've set foot in McDonald's since 2007 at midnight at a gas station. Probably 2002 since my last big mac. I couldn't remember what the damn things even look like besides 2-patty 3-bun and sesame seeds.

I have local grass-fed beef, local cheddar, making aioli this morning to make special sauce (I don't use mayo often enough to keep in stock). Bought sesame kaiser rolls from a local bakery. Pickles and shredded iceberg. Seems simple enough.

Also making fries, sweet potato for mrs s-met and regular russet for me. I know sweet potato isn't McD's menu (i dont think); but neither is a delicious burger.

About the only burger I'll buy out any more is the animal-style, protein-style double-double from In 'n Out. We indulge in one of those about every other month or so. They just have this unique flavor to them! Animal style gives me grilled onions and patties fried in mustard, protein-style gives me lettuce wrapped, no bun. Yum, now I want one!

I’m surprised there were not more Cinco de Mayo pictures. Maybe just too busy cooking and partying to post, like I was. Here are pictures of the beef and chicken fajitas in with the veggies for serving!
IMG_2082.JPG

IMG_2083.JPG

Missed pictures of Elotes and Guacamole.

I'm surprised at the lack of Cinco de Mayo pictures. Maybe folks were like I was and too busy partying to post pictures. I did take a couple. Missed the Elotes and Guacamole, but did get the fahitas off the grill and the beef and chicken fajitas in with the veggies for serving. A good time was had by all
View attachment 625731

Roasted salsa verde. First homemade one I ever made I really like.

Ate it all in one sitting.

Did I mention I gained 5lbs this weekend?

I have a green enchilada recipe that is based on a salsa verde made the same way that is just amazing. I always double the salsa portion so we have the leftover for dipping!

Oh yeah. Make a double batch. Half for salsa and half for a chile verde. I use about 1 jalapeno for every 2-3 Anaheim. All depends how hot the Anaheims are. Normally the are really mild unless you get lucky.

Cool trick for salsa verde....After the main blending is done....Add a few tsp of olive oil and give it another spin. It will instantly turn a brighter green and it creates a little avocado like flavor too.

Tested out steaks on a makeshift griddle surface on my weber. Works really well - in fact, I definitely prefer it for a bunch of things now. I can get it very hot. I've done flank (for fajaitas), burgers, beef tenderloin steaks, etc. Last night, a couple of ribeyes and scallops.

upload_2019-5-7_14-13-51.png

upload_2019-5-7_14-13-10.png

upload_2019-5-7_14-14-40.png

My mom gave me 4 cases of Zico Jalapeno Mango Coconut Water. After 3 bottles, I still haven't acquired a taste for it but I am starting to think it might work in a curry recipe. I don't have any experience in cooking curries but I'm hoping one of the experts here might have something for a beginner. We have a couple of small asian markets and 1 Indian spice shop.
61OcUUl9QWL._SY679SX242_SY679_CR,0,0,242,679_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0_SX242_SY679_CR,0,0,242,679_SH20_.jpg

Homemade refried beans completely from scratch

Well this recipe is a GO!!!! Pops tried them....Thumbs Up!!!...Bro tried them and first thing he did was run for some flour tortillas.

About 4 cups of cooked beans (mix of mostly small reds and some canary)
2 heaping tbs of premium lard
4-5 tbs of finely minced red shallot
1 finely minced jalapeno (deseeded first)
Almost 1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp black pepper
Enough bean water to process (beans, 2 tbs onion flakes, 1 tbs Better than Bullion chicken and 1 tsp aji panca powder)

I didnt see any reason to whip them up any further. They are pretty creamy. I just used the slotted spoon to mash them and stir the hell outta them.
rfXwAuy.jpg

ppql9tn.jpg

Homemade refried beans completely from scratch

Well this recipe is a GO!!!! Pops tried them....Thumbs Up!!!...Bro tried them and first thing he did was run for some flour tortillas.

About 4 cups of cooked beans (mix of mostly small reds and some canary)
2 heaping tbs of premium lard
4-5 tbs of finely minced red shallot
1 finely minced jalapeno (deseeded first)
Almost 1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp black pepper
Enough bean water to process (beans, 2 tbs onion flakes, 1 tbs Better than Bullion chicken and 1 tsp aji panca powder)

I didnt see any reason to whip them up any further. They are pretty creamy. I just used the slotted spoon to mash them and stir the hell outta them.
rfXwAuy.jpg

ppql9tn.jpg
I'm gasin they were pretty good...

Chocolate! Realized that I have made mention of my recipe but I had trouble finding it. So here it is,

Chocolate Recipe
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup powdered sugar or to taste

From there....
Pinch of salt
Flavorings
Nuts
Cherries
Marshmallows
Etc....

No idea how to temper yet, I melt in microwave mix and put in silicone molds. Wouldn't hurt to shift ingredients.

Latest posts

Back