What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New place using elec instead of gas range. Cast ironed a butchers cut of top sirloin on an old Kenmore stove top. I still prefer gas but I will manage for now.

Attachments

• KIMG0606.JPG
    KIMG0606.JPG
    934 KB · Views: 0
New place using elec instead of gas range. Cast ironed a butchers cut of top sirloin on an old Kenmore stove top. I still prefer gas but I will manage for now.

Might be electric, but that's exactly how I like my steaks, charred on the outside, MR on the inside. You must have gotten that cast iron mighty-hot before you flopped that steak on there.

Looks great! The key to pastrami is 1) if you're starting with a homemade corned beef, de-salt twice by soaking in water, 2) don't dry it out when smoking (foil it!)

Started with a brisket flat. Brined 8 days while out of town. Rinsed off when I got home and placed overnight in a clean water bath hoping to knock out some of the saltiness. Used one of the many online pastrami rub recipes. I was too busy today to babysit my Weber kettle so I didn't smoke it as was my original plan. Triple wrapped in foil, placed on a rack in a roasting pan with a cup of water, sealed the roasting pan as best I could with foil and placed in a 225 oven for 6.5 hours. Came great.

I'll do it again in the summer, but actually smoke it.

Started with a brisket flat. Brined 8 days while out of town. Rinsed off when I got home and placed overnight in a clean water bath hoping to knock out some of the saltiness. Used one of the many online pastrami rub recipes. I was too busy today to babysit my Weber kettle so I didn't smoke it as was my original plan. Triple wrapped in foil, placed on a rack in a roasting pan with a cup of water, sealed the roasting pan as best I could with foil and placed in a 225 oven for 6.5 hours. Came great.

I'll do it again in the summer, but actually smoke it.
I just rub with pepper and coriander. Start with whole black pepper seeds, whole coriander seeds, mill them, rub away.

Might be electric, but that's exactly how I like my steaks, charred on the outside, MR on the inside. You must have gotten that cast iron mighty-hot before you flopped that steak on there.
Pretty hot, also the steak wasn't at room temp when cooked it so the sear was long makes for good crust. Love me cast iron steak especially pork chops.

Back