What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a sous vide ribeye on Saturday. Since I don't have my circulator yet and didn't want to pull out all my homebrew equipment, I did the simple stovetop method.

Dusted with a Santa Maria style rub, a bit of chipotle, and black pepper, then in the bath at 133-135 degrees for a few hours. A little butter and a superheated cast-iron skillet later, and it was done.

Damn fine eats!

(And yes, it really was as big as it looks in the pics!)

1389639361245.jpg

1389639379689.jpg

1389639399924.jpg

1389639417099.jpg

Oh dammit that looks good. I have been planning on making Oxtail stew for years.

You bet it was! A bit of work but so worth it, I started it yesterday so I could cool and skim the fat. Packed a good bit of spice not that I'm complaining.
Very complex flavor. I will be revisiting this again.

#1 Wild Caught Shrimp and Scallop Teriyaki with Mung Bean Sprouts and Snow Peas on Rice

#2 Chicken Piccata w/ Meyer Lemons and Home Made Pasta

Both dishes look amazing.

I made the second dish frequently (I have a pasta maker and a lemon tree!). I need to do more dishes like your first one. My wife loves that kind of stuff.

Both dishes look amazing.

I made the second dish frequently (I have a pasta maker and a lemon tree!). I need to do more dishes like your first one. My wife loves that kind of stuff.

I am a big piccata fan but unfortunately don't run across really good lemons often enough. I don't mind it tart but my wife prefers it more sweet.

As far as the other dish I've spent years trying to master cooking the seafood just right and making the sauce have the right flavor, body and sweetness. I've definitely got the cooking method nailed down on the seafood (A well oiled 450F cast iron skillet) and the sauce is getting close. I've found low sodium soy sauce to be a big help in bringing a lot of flavor to an asian sauce without making a salt bomb.

I use the low-sodium soy sauce too.

OT: BTW, are you a designer? Was wondering about the name.

I am a big piccata fan but unfortunately don't run across really good lemons often enough. I don't mind it tart but my wife prefers it more sweet.

As far as the other dish I've spent years trying to master cooking the seafood just right and making the sauce have the right flavor, body and sweetness. I've definitely got the cooking method nailed down on the seafood (A well oiled 450F cast iron skillet) and the sauce is getting close. I've found low sodium soy sauce to be a big help in bringing a lot of flavor to an asian sauce without making a salt bomb.

Did a sous vide ribeye on Saturday. Since I don't have my circulator yet and didn't want to pull out all my homebrew equipment, I did the simple stovetop method.

Dusted with a Santa Maria style rub, a bit of chipotle, and black pepper, then in the bath at 133-135 degrees for a few hours. A little butter and a superheated cast-iron skillet later, and it was done.

Damn fine eats!

(And yes, it really was as big as it looks in the pics!)

Yes! Sous vide then quick sear (usually charcoal at 500*+) is how I cook all my thick cut and dry aged steaks. Turns out great doesn't it!? Did you go a few hours to try to infuse the seasonings, or just to raise the internal temp?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

Yes! Sous vide then quick sear (usually charcoal at 500*+) is how I cook all my thick cut and dry aged steaks. Turns out great doesn't it!? Did you go a few hours to try to infuse the seasonings, or just to raise the internal temp?

I went that long because it was exceptionally thick, and because it was coming to temp from frozen, not the fridge. I defrosted it just enough for the seasoning to adhere to the surface, then re-bagged it and tossed it in. So it was just to bring it to temp.

You'll wonder why you didn't try it sooner. It's almost criminal how easy it is to make a perfectly-cooked steak.

Yeah, I tend to have a lot of half-finished projects.

Tonight is Totino's Pizzas and Hopslam. But I'll stop by the store and pick out steaks and get them seasoned and packed. It will be a nice mid-winter diversion.

That sounds awesome! Is the Maris Otter reduction a Maris Otter beer reduced in a pan?

I took 1/2lb of grain, crushed and steeped with 2 cups of water @ 155*f for 1/2 hr. Sparged in colander with another 1 cup of near boiling water. Simmer on the stove for an 1-1/2 hrs until it was syrupy. I added the balsamic to balance the sweetness (1tbs) added some capers and some parsley.

Made up some french onion soup, sweet potato bisque, broccoli mushroom casserole and key lime cheesecake today.. Pretty much just cleaned out the fridge and tried to make some stuff to eat throughout the week ahead. Pie's still in the oven but everything else turned out really well.

Made up some french onion soup, sweet potato bisque, broccoli mushroom casserole and key lime cheesecake today.. Pretty much just cleaned out the fridge and tried to make some stuff to eat throughout the week ahead. Pie's still in the oven but everything else turned out really well.

That's it! I'm heading to your house. You had me at 'key lime cheesecake'....

I picked up a couple of porterhouse steaks on special at the grocery store and cooked using Sous Vide. Turned out REALLY nice! My grill was out of gas, so I grilled them on a cast iron griddle on top of the stove.

They were done a little too much for my taste, because of the time they were grilled, but they were still tender and juicy and seasoned just right.

I made fish & chips on Friday, with beer battered Alaskan halibut & sweet potato fries; I cheated & had store bought cole slaw with it, and a few bottles of Moose Drool.

I did make my own version of tartar sauce tho, olive oil mayo with a spoonful of sweet pickle relish, a dab of horseradish & a dash of black pepper.
Not nearly as grand as what the rest of you made, but it worked well for me.
Regards, GF.

Nothing too terribly intricate this weekend, but it was awfully tasty.

Pot roast in the crockpot with some carrots, onions, celery, garlic, nut brown ale and red wine (these two worked beautifully together in the end), and beef stock.
Mashed potatoes with beef gravy.
Collard greens with onions, bacon, apples, and vinegar.

I need to step up my plating game, you guys are making some beautiful dishes.

dinner.jpg

I soaked 2lbs of black beans overnight for some ham bone soup. Got it on the stove now with a bunch of stemmed & burley cut collard greens,a sweet onion,& some sliced baby carrots. Cut some ham off the bone to add later. then some new potatoes & some left over,Italian inspired tomato soup I make that'll be added at the end. It's fresh garlic & EV olive oil will be great with some basic seasonings & a pan of spent grain biscuits!:rockin:

I soaked 2lbs of black beans overnight for some ham bone soup. Got it on the stove now with a bunch of stemmed & burley cut collard greens,a sweet onion,& some sliced baby carrots. Cut some ham off the bone to add later. then some new potatoes & some left over,Italian inspired tomato soup I make that'll be added at the end. It's fresh garlic & EV olive oil will be great with some basic seasonings & a pan of spent grain biscuits!:rockin:

I just finished a massive batch of black bean cakes, about three dozen.

I'm trying to eat healthier so I added Flax meal and chia seeds along with the usual garlic, onions, cilantro, cumin, cheddar cheese, Mexican spice mix and jalapeno's.

The flax/chia combo really helped the cakes to hold together, which is usually a problem. Browned them in a skillet with a little olive oil. The sample I tasted was pretty good.

Not the weekend per se but thanks to MLK day it's a long weekend for me. Roasting a chicken stuffed with garlic, onion, lemon, fresh tyme, rosemary and sage. Added baby red potatoes, onion, carrots, celery and brussel sprouts.
chicken.jpg

Back