What craft beer do you secretly despise?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to love #9, but the last couple times I've had it I swear it tastes different. Anyways, I'm not a fan of DFH 90 or 120, anything by Brooklyn Brewing, and I would have said Shipyard, but their Black IPA is spot on. I had Old Rasputin once and wasn't a fan either.

Brooklyn Pilsner is actually a pretty well made beer. I'm not a big fan of most of their other beers.

Picked up a four pack of founders breakfast stout over the weekend. Never had it before and quite frankly didn't live up to the hype. Has a hot alcohol bite to it, minimal chocolate and coffee. Mostly acrid tasting, both at fridge temps and after it warms up. Bottled in November 2014.

Love ESBs, but didn't care at all for Red Hook's ESB.

Orval. Guess it's an "acquired taste":drunk:

dfhar, I don't think I've tried that one. I'll pick some up and give em a chance. I think Saranac's Pilsner is one of the best ones I've personally had.

Well, don't get your hopes up too high :) I certainly enjoy drinking it once in a while, but it's definitely not world class.

Sam Adams chocolate cherry bock makes me sick. Or at least made me sick the one time I tried it.

Any craft beer that's cloudy but isn't supposed to be. WTF is wrong with you Seattle?!? Mac and Jacks and Manny's really? Why do you let brewers just be out and out lazy like that?

The highest rated craft beer that I secretly despise? Goose Island Bourbon County Stout - it's like adding vodka and rubbing alcohol to a double shot of espresso -WHY? Large amounts of roast and alcohol burn without anything to balance it is awful -and RIS is my favorite style of beer; just not BCS.

And I'm attracting more hate but the Duchess... -No beer should have that much acetic; that's malt vinegar, not beer.

Avery Anniversary 15 - seriously tastes like there's 3 dead mice in every bottle; worst beer containing Bret EVER (and again, I like most modern Bret beers).

And the 2005 version of THIS jalapeno beer; more jalapeno than beer: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/5443/25971/

Adam

I work at a "fine" food store and I got selected to be on the beer selection team. It's great I get paid to drink beer with cool people. However we get samples from new breweries. It's insane how many send out samples with such crazy problems.

Anyone else tired of this Barq's Beer? It is supposed to have "bite", but whenever I drink a 6er I just lay on the floor moaning like a schoolboy after Halloween.

I used to love #9, but the last couple times I've had it I swear it tastes different. Anyways, I'm not a fan of DFH 90 or 120, anything by Brooklyn Brewing, and I would have said Shipyard, but their Black IPA is spot on. I had Old Rasputin once and wasn't a fan either.

I actually have a few 120 mins aging alongside a narwhal and Bigfoot going to do a year by year comparison eventually

I'm all honesty I think some breweries should not allow the brewmasters to drink during work hours because some beer tastes like cat piss and I can't understand how anyone can drink it *cough* BEERCAMP *cough*

I haven't found anything brewed by Goose Island that I don't dislike. I really find their beers mediocre at best. I don't understand how they're so popular honestly.

"Despise" might be too harsh, but out of every purported "craft" beer I've ever had, the entire crushingly mediocre Southern Tier repertoire falls into my "No Respect" bin.

Fortunately, they're easily avoided...

Cheers! ;)

I think this is a good spot to point out once again how amazing it is that our personal taste can be so different, yet we all seem to have a shared love for craft beer.

I'm all honesty I think some breweries should not allow the brewmasters to drink during work hours because some beer tastes like cat piss and I can't understand how anyone can drink it *cough* BEERCAMP *cough*

+1

I was kind of geeked at the idea of a hoppy Lager.
I though this was a great chance to introduce all my Lager friends to hops.

This beer tries to be a Lager and Hoppy, unfortunately it succeeds at just that!

+1

I was kind of geeked at the idea of a hoppy Lager.
I though this was a great chance to introduce all my Lager friends to hops.

This beer tries to be a Lager and Hoppy, unfortunately it succeeds at just that!

Pyramids IPL is pretty good but I don't know how it compares to beercamp.

Personally I hate pyramids apricot ale but only when it's in the bottle. On tap, it's golden nectar.

Grabbed a pick 6 today, so I finally got to try a SN Hop Hunter.
I had high expectations since I like most everything from SN (except beer camp & rye ipa)
Hop Hunter reminds me of soda that has a flavor extract added.
It is a beer with a hop flavor added just before bottling.
A real let down, just glad I had 1 and not an entire 6 pack
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1425771360.593957.jpg

DFH Midas Touch. Way too sweet and didn't like the grape in my beer.

Southern Tier Pumking and Warlock. Both were just bad, and I tried to like Pumking in '13 and '14. Couldn't do it...

I love brown ales... Having said that, I wouldn't drink Newcastle is you waterboarded me
I've had "The Broon" when I was in Newcastle, England. it was way better over there. I've tried back in the U.S. again and can't do it..
And I had some Green Flash Palate Wrecker that took 2 sips and I poured it down the drain
next time, just send it to me.

idk about craft beers i hate, but the commercial import i despise secretly is Foster's Lager. Still, it's better than most american commercial efforts.

Sampled a Grand Cru sour once.

Once.

I know people love 'em, but I'm pretty sure that sours are just not my thing.

Boston Beer Company. I see they are teamed up with some former Magic Hat people to create subsidiaries of crappy novelty beers.

So.... Pretty much doing what the Big Name breweries have been doing: Selling beer for business purposes, rather than for the sake of selling good beer. This will probably happen to most craft breweries when they get bigger and market share gets more difficult to get hold of.

I actually have a few 120 mins aging alongside a narwhal and Bigfoot going to do a year by year comparison eventually

You've reminded me of something I never understood, aged bigfoot. The whole point of an american barleywine is that big hop character. Why age them into a oxidized mess. I love that beer fresh. Way better than side by sides i've done with aged ones.

Used to like it, but I just can't get into Great Lakes Xmas ale anymore. Most of these holiday ales are too over the top for me, I may have one a year to remind myself why I should just stick with a good porter or oatmeal stout in the dead of winter

You've reminded me of something I never understood, aged bigfoot. The whole point of an american barleywine is that big hop character. Why age them into a oxidized mess. I love that beer fresh. Way better than side by sides i've done with aged ones.

Have to disagree. Oxidation in bigfoot takes on a woody and sherry characteristic. Bigfoot is fantastic after 7 years. I do 6 year verticals and usually the aged 3-years and 6-year tie as the best. Don't get me wrong, fresh is awesome too. I am drinking at least a 4 pack a week of that stuff right now.

Back