what could I use this for...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickThoR

Reaction score
I recently acquired a large restaurant tea dispenser,( the stainless kind that sits out by the napkins and drinks and stuff at fast food joints) it's about 5 gallons and I figured I could do something home brew related with it.... any one ever used one? I so far I have thought of -

-mini keggle
-small batch primary fermenting vessel
-put tea in it...
-scrap it for cash....

Any awesome ideas?

Any way to test how much pressure it will hold (without exploding it)? Can you remove the valve that pours the tea?
Can you post some pics of the exterior/interior?

No pressure, it doesn't seal, the top just sets on it. The valve is removable, and stainless ones are available (it currently has a plastic one)

Starsan is an acid, Stainless wouldn't be the best thing to keep Starsan in. Not that it would rot through it.

Good point, but I guess I just never considered that being that it is a weak acid. I was thinking more like using it for brew day and then emptying it, as I don't generally store large quantities of starsan since I use tap water to dilute it.

I was toying with the idea of making it a conical, I would hopefully be able to find a correct sized stainless funnel, solder it, and add a valve at the bottom. But.... this seems like alot of work....

Starsan is an acid, Stainless wouldn't be the best thing to keep Starsan in. Not that it would rot through it.

Starsan is about the same pH as soda. I don't think it will pose any harm to stainless (after all, that's what corny kegs were designed to hold...). Beer is also acidic, of course (though not as much).

Again, not that it would eat through it or destroy it in anyway. I just know when I passivated my kettles and conical, there was a metallic "odor" while the Starsan was just sitting in the stainless vessel.

I have one as well, ( no pic), oval shaped stainless vessel, plastic valve, approx. 5 gallons...............Sitting with my brewing equipment, and never used it.

I'd put some delicious sweet tea in that baby and have something to drink when beer is not advisable. You know, like at 7 in the morning, or when operating heavy machinery... or after a long hard day when you're supposed to be watching your children while the wife is out shopping, and you're already super tired and the beer only helps to lull you to sleep, and you wake up to find that the kids have decided to empty every damn drawer and cabinet in the entire house and you have like 10 minutes to try and clean it all up before the wife finds out..... Is that too specific?

Again, not that it would eat through it or destroy it in anyway. I just know when I passivated my kettles and conical, there was a metallic "odor" while the Starsan was just sitting in the stainless vessel.

You are okay with prolonged starsan in stainless. There are people on here who use an old corney to store/dispense starsan. Heck, my SS brew buckets actually said to use some more concentrated(than normal) Starsan to passivize them when I first got them.

I would be more worried about the other parts with the starsan. Non stainless steel (springs, etc) and the plastic parts (spout, etc). as for brewing equipment being made out of it, HLT? Does it have a method of chilling or heating its contents or is it just a big jug?

Back