What could I do with 1 lb of Galena hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ouroboros

Reaction score
I've got an opportunity to pick up a cheap pound of Galena pellets from the LHBS. I've never used them before, but it was a good price and I needed to pick up some weight in a fairly neutral high alpha hop. I've read that galena won't leave wierd aftertastes when used to bitter... is this true?

I'm especially concerned about styles where I won't use too many aroma or flavoring hops and can't mask the lingering aftertaste of the bittering addition. IMHO C hops, Simcoe, and Brewer's Gold leave a little "something" in the beer even when they have been boiled for 60+ minutes, nugget feels like you're taking a belt sander to your tongue, and Magnum is about as neutral as you can get. Where does Galena fall?

Also, does anyone have experience using Galena as a late hop addition? Is it similar to nugget? It smells like nugget so much that I want to make a late-hopped galena/nugget IPA, but sometimes hops change their character in weird ways when they hit boiling wort.

I've been going through about 10 oz of Galena pellets for the last couple years. It isn't quite as clean as Magnum for bittering, but its close. I haven't used it for flavor/aroma, so I'll let someone else weigh in on that.

It's closely related to nugget. I use it a lot for a nice clean bittering - it seems very refined there, even at excessive IBU's, without the sharp attack that (for example) Columbus has. I find it vaguely 'englishy' as a bittering addition, with a bit of earthy/woodsyness to it, and I've never used it as a flavour or aroma hop.

Latest posts

Back