what clipped the the top off my hop shoot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenb

Reaction score
This is strange. I have a 2nd year Mt Hood hop plant with two bines. One of them, which is almost a foot high, has been somehow clipped clean at the top. I assume that means the shoot is toast. What in the world can make a clean cut like that? Has that happened to anyone here? And am i right in assuming that the bine will not climb and sprout any longer after being cut at the top?

So does this mean the shoots will stop growing at the height they are now? Gotta wait until next year for cones?:confused:

I caught a spanish murder slug (yes, they are named that in Sweden!) munching away at one of my garden hops, that gave a clean cut result when I looked after killing the slug... Fortunately it was not my beer hops!

So does this mean the shoots will stop growing at the height they are now? Gotta wait until next year for cones?:confused:

Nah... they will put up other shoots. I believe commercial hop growers cut the shoots back until they see one or two that really take off then train those to climb. RDWHAHB :D
JJ

The existing bines will feed energy into the root & new shoots should come up, even this late.

My hops are really struggling with all this cold weather. The weeds, on the other hand are doing fine. Cleared the hop patch out last Friday and everything is covered again.

Something took a number of mine off, but they've all put up new shoots. A couple of bines put up a few different shoots which I trimmed back, only keeping the ones highest up and re-training them.

Latest posts

Back