What Catagory Should I Enter This In?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howamidriving

Reaction score
Hopefully this is in the right sub forum. I brewed this beer without really thinking about entering it in any kind of contest but the county fair is running one this year and we've got really good feedback from this brew so I figured why not? Recipe follows:

Partial Mash, 150F for 60 min:
5# pilsner
1# wheat malt
1/2# flaked oats

Boil:
3.3# Pilsner lme
3.3# Wheat lme
.75oz Magnum 13.2%AA @60
.5oz each Chinook and Galaxy at flame out
about 8oz of carmalized golden raisons at 10min (transferred to primary also)
Yeast: 1 packet Belle Saison pitched at 72F
Dry hop; .25oz magnum .5oz each chinook and galaxy for 4 days.

Stats:
Og: 1.071 Fg:1.010 ABV: 8.01%
IBU: 26,34

Tasting Notes:
The bitterness lets you know it's there upfront, citrusy hops come late in the sip and follow in the finish. The hop character is crazy but its defiantly there. I didn't really get any saison like peppery/funky note from the yeast just yet (although I'm think that could develop with time)

So stats wise it's a decent fit for Belgian Pale and Strong Golden, but the hop character is off obviously. Sasion could maybe work to since it's a little more open of a category.What I was going for with this was kind of a cross between a light Belgian and an east coast IPA with toned down hop character and I think I got pretty close to that.

Any input or further question let me know :mug:

I am a fairly new brewer and pay attention to BJCP styles if only to begin to understand what I'm shooting for. The problem is with a contest, diversion from a particular spec is usually considered a fault. Your beer sounds delicious. Is there an open category? I'd think that you would do well, but I haven't ever joined or seen a contest run so couldn't really say for sure.

Back