What can I use??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docbee

Reaction score
Just brewing my secong kit, a British Pale Ale, and after I had started I realize that the Irish Moss is missing. What can I use in the secondary fermantation step to help clarify since I don't have a LHBS and will have to wait on an order to arrive. Not wild about opening the primary fermantator in mid fermentation unless I have to.

Actually, if you just leave it in secondary for a couple of weeks it should clear up just fine. I'm not familiar with anything you could add at this point to flocculate.

You can add Polyclar if you'd like. Just be aware that you will probably lose a half gal of beer if you want to keep your brew as clear as possible (by not racking the polyclar to the bottling bucket).

Some people will add finings too. I tried that once and was not satisfied with the results.:(

Irish moss or nothing...

Polyclar is a plastic finings. Isenglass (fish bladder) & plain gelatin are alternatives. Waiting almost always works.

I've used gelatin a couple of times. You don't have to use a lot, just make sure it's unflavored.

This is only because I wanted to bottle sooner rather than later.

Waiting should be fine. Having a hazy beer will not affect flavor at all, so I would opt on the "not sacrificing volume for aesthetics" side of the fence.

Thanks for the input!!! Taste is the ultimate goal and a little haziness is not a concern for me, but I have family coming for Thanksgiving already licking their lips at trying my brews. So of course I'd like to make a good impression with my first two brew sessions, and for the people not "learned" (not that I am) in homebrewing appearance probably will make a difference.

Has anyone tried putting Irish Moss in the secondary??? Or does it require boiling action to be of any effect??

Latest posts

Back