What can I use to strain out hops when racking to bottle bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackonblack

Reaction score
Getting ready to bottle. It's been dry hopped in the secondary and the pellet hops are quite messy. Did not use anything to contain them . I have an autosiphon racking cane . What can I put around it to strain out the good but not the yeast. I was goin to use a coffee filter tied around the bottom of the siphon

hop bags, pantyhose, cheesecloth, paint strainer bags, ect... basicly any fine mesh should suit your needs. a coffee filter can work but its a long, slow and a PITA especially when the other stuff is pretty cheap.

hop bags, pantyhose, cheesecloth, paint strainer bags, ect... basicly any fine mesh should suit your needs. a coffee filter can work but its a long, slow and a PITA especially when the other stuff is pretty cheap.

Perfect! Now I just need to pick up pantyhose at the store :/ that won't be easy thank you . It won't filter out the yeast?

I use panty hose when I siphon to kegs or bottling bucket with no ill effect. There's just that awkward moment at the store when you're purchasing a few boxes of hose.

One of these days I'm going to throw in some lipstick and nail polish just to see what kind of reaction I will get.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Really, any mesh strainer or colander will do fine. I use this one. A tad high for a colander but, the expandability allows for use on different size buckets. Trying to filter a batch of beer through a coffee filter would really, really suck. As soon as they become blocked up, the coffee filter becomes useless. You would be changing them out a LOT. You would lose a lot of beer in trying this.

I'm pretty sure to filter yeast you need a 1 micron filter. That's something like a house water filter, so the yeast is safe from the pantyhoes

If you are bottling, the yeast will settle out in a week or two and the beer should be pretty clear. Pantyhose will only work for the hops. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405573250.464461.jpg

Here is a beer 3 or 4 days after bottling without cold crashing or anything. It was crystal after a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I usually place the hops in a grain bag before dry hopping, the bag will float on the top and it's easy to remove after the dry hopping is done.

i stick the end of the siphon hose in a nylon hop bag which is inside bottling bucket. of course, after boiling it and sanitizing it. the hop bag has a draw string which i tie to the handle of the bucket so the bag won't fall into the bucket.

Back