What can I expect in an underpitched porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bleme

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
7lbs Extra Pale LME
8oz Debittered Black Malt
8oz Caraamber
8oz Chocolate Malt
8oz 2-Row

Steeped 40 min at 155F. 60 Min full boil.

2oz Willamette @ 60min
.75oz Hallertau @ 15 min
.25oz Hallertau @ 5 min

1.056 OG. After 5 minutes of continuous, vigorous shaking I had at least 2 inches of foam on top, the most I have seen yet. I remembered I needed a starter the night before, which was already too late, so I just pitched appx 66B cells of Wyeast 1028 London @ 70F. Mr. Malty recommended 195B. 28 hours later I was getting 9 bpm (bubbles per minute) in the airlock.

I know this is going to make beer and I'm not worried at all, but what differences can I expect from underpitching this yeast?

They say under-pitching can lead to off flavors from stressing the yeast. What off flavors? I don't know. The nice thing is you have a porter, a very flavorful beer, which IMHO will cover up any off flavors that might be produced by under-pitching. I think you are going to be fine.

In general, the beer could end up too sweet and cloying, kind of thick tasting. This is due to the amount of remaining sugars in the beer after fermentation. Your OG will tend to be higher since less yeast is pitched. This depends on the beer's SG, fermentation temp., yeast strain, etc. as to the degree of the issue, if any. I guess you'll have to see what FG your beer comes out with. The yeast might end up making an excellent porter regardless.

With it only being a 1.056 gravity beer, I don't see the yeast quitting on him. It's not like at that level it is going to kill them. It's only a 6% at best beer. Pretty much every strain of yeast I have ever seen is capable of handling that. Like I said before, I think he may just stress them a little. Just my thoughts though.

I agree, with this particular recipe and OG, the OP should have pretty good results. I should have been more clear about that, as I was speaking more generally in my earlier post.

Latest posts

Back