What can I do with DARK LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewHopHop

Reaction score
I purchased some dark LME about a month ago for some recipes I found online, but after brewing one of the other recipes there (and not being too fond of it) I decided to start researching recipes and ingredients more. Turns out that most "good" or "recommended" extract recipes don't use dark LME so now I have 6 lbs of it and I'm not sure what to do with it?

Any suggestions??

The black IPA in my recipes ( a stone sublim. self right. inspired beer) used dark LME (Briess I think I used) and it was awesome.

Awesome thanks for all the replies. Looks like I can salvage my Dark LME :) I'll look through some of these recipes and find one that looks good, or I could make starters but would probably only use it for darker beers.

Thanks everyone!!

Yeah, dark lme can still make excellent beer, its just that a lot of places don't list what goes into their dark lme so its hard to convert that recipe to AG or converting an AG recipe to extract for you. Northern brewer is one of the exceptions, and with the ppg and 30L color you might be able to figure out what percentage of each is in there. Otherwise toss a little roasted barley, maybe some black patent if you really want it dark in some steeping water and you're well on your way to a tasty stout!

I'm with ericpete18 - steep about half a pound of roasted barley, maybe a couple oz. of black patent, and ferment with Wyeast Irish Ale. Mmmmm.

Oh, and you might want to try Munton's KreamyX on your stouts if you bottle condition.
Pez.

Latest posts

Back