What came in the mail for you today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A nice box of beverages from our recent FotHB trade showed up today from @BrewMan13 .FedEx took their sweet ass time delivering it, but my momma said good things come to those who wait. They are chilling in the kegerator now and I can’t wait to try them.
0317CA82-9FF9-4984-AC1A-F810D218D5B3.jpeg

Not beer related. I just discovered Boveda packs and ordered a seasoning pack for my humidor (83%) and a 4 pack of 72% to use after seasoning. Yeah, those arrived today.

I would love to say that my RO system that I have been promising myself for over a year came in, but since I am still waiting on my tax return (filed in February), no, there is nothing in the mail that should be.
Be patient. I just got my refund a week ago. Don't know why they are so slow this year - never been this bad before.

Brew on :mug:

Unfortunately, nothing brewing related. But my wife is a vegetarian and I bought some of Better Than Bouillon's vegetarian "No Beef" and "No Chicken" versions for making seitan, tofu, and other meatless dishes.

For anyone that makes a lot of soup or dishes where they use broth or bouillon, Better Than Bouillon products are the way to go.

I would love to say that my RO system that I have been promising myself for over a year came in, but since I am still waiting on my tax return (filed in February), no, there is nothing in the mail that should be.

if it makes you feel better, my 2019 return wasn’t processed until about a month ago. I mean, the deposited the check I mailed with it in like 10 days of filing, but the return itself took a good 16 months to process.

Unfortunately, nothing brewing related. But my wife is a vegetarian and I bought some of Better Than Bouillon's vegetarian "No Beef" and "No Chicken" versions for making seitan, tofu, and other meatless dishes.

For anyone that makes a lot of soup or dishes where they use broth or bouillon, Better Than Bouillon products are the way to go.
I agree…I’m vegan and I use them all the time.

Some 16g CO2 cannisters. Going away next weekend and want to bring some 1 gallon kegs but don't want the hassle of taking one of my 5lb tanks so just bringing these instead!
How does it work? Would the beer be already carbonated and the 16g CO2 be just for serving?
When I didn’t know anything (still don’t), I tried to carbonate a one gallon keg with those 16g joints and it was a failure all the time. I know now why but wondering how you are doing your portable gallon kegs.

How does it work? Would the beer be already carbonated and the 16g CO2 be just for serving?
When I didn’t know anything (still don’t), I tried to carbonate a one gallon keg with those 16g joints and it was a failure all the time. I know now why but wondering how you are doing your portable gallon kegs.
Quite likely that's how it'll work - beer is already carbed and just needs a little CO2 to push it out of the keg. Shouldn't take much since its already carbed.

Cool…thanks! I’m just getting to a point where I’m ready to start sharing my brews and a nice portable system is how I want to achieve that. Thanks again.
my first foray into kegging was just with the little cartridges, and they do eventually carb the beer, but yes in this case the one beer I will be taking is already done and carbed, and the IPA I will roll with one of my 5lb tanks to quick carb and the 16g cartridges will just be for serving pressure.

I want to put in a liquor cabinet on the front of my keezer and have a shiny surface behind the bottles. However, to keep the keezer narrow enough to take through a door, I don’t have the space to put an actual mirror in unless I glue it to the freezer’s skin which would cause insulation problems.

So I bought a mirrored vinyl wrap. If it looks too cheesy, I’ll wrap over it with something else.

2D805797-3C4E-47C7-BC5B-B7D0BB1A2F2D.jpeg

I've been wanting that book for awhile. If I remember it was kinda pricey so I held off. Are you happy with what's in there?

I wouldn't expect any content on the order of let's say "How to Brew".

The little history nuggets are interesting as well as the recipes and he explains why they changed if there was a reason. The book discusses each style by chapter and goes through the changes chronologically in those chapters. It's a good British beer history lesson.

I think it will be fun to brew these different beers and get a taste of the past.

Even though it's a paperback there are a lot of old logos inside the book in full color and the book feels of better quality than your typical paperback.

You also have to consider the time it took the author to go through all the records to get these recipes.

The price is a little steep, but if you think about the work to get the recipes, the author's awesome blog that gives us a bunch of recipes for free along with history, and the old logos that you don't see anymore; I would say it's worth it. Ordering it directly from his site gets you a signed copy as well.

Ultimately you'll have to get it to truly know if it was worth it as I'm sure we all have different expectations and reasoning.

AND I've rambled on enough hope this helps.

Last edited:
Man, I'd been thinking about one of these for a while. After seeing this pic, I went to the ThermoWorks website to have a look around and saw the $30 off clearance on the Thermapen Mk4. So I went for it. I guess that means I owe you a 'thank you'. Cheers.

Awesome, I hope you enjoy it! I was going to get that one but money was burning a hole in my pocket and I jumped for the one.

Shiney new 1.75 gal keg from Northern Brewer. I have an excuse to brew a 3 gallon in my Anvil since the 5 gallon Chapman's fermenters are occupied...what to brew...decisions decisions....im thinking a 3 gal Cristmas ale..keg 1.75 and bottle the remaining 1.25. I feel a Come to Jesus moment from the wife coming soon...3 fermenters at once 😳
20210922_143801.jpg

Thermapen Mk4.

I told wifey I was ordering a homebrew accessory and she says, "okay, whatever." But when the package arrived and she saw it on the counter, she said, "oh cool, I've always wanted to try one of these!"

View attachment 743110
You'll love it! Especially if you do any baking/cooking/grilling as well. Ours gets used so often that I bought a second one just for brewing and grilling and our old one stays in the kitchen.

Back