What brown beer did I make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephenabney

Reaction score
I brewed my usual nut brown recipe, but on brew day realized I that the flaked oats I bought were actually flaked barley. I just went with it, and what I ended up with looks like a brown and sorta tastes like a stout (at least at time of bottling). Is there a name for this type of beer? Recipe below and picture too.

10lb marris otter
1lb victory
.5lb flaked barley
.5lb crystal 120
.25lb chocolate

1oz fuggles 45min
1oz Golding 15min

5% abv
25 ibu
17srm

Cali ale yeast

Thanks for the advice. Beer tastes good, just not sure what to call it!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396123931.502883.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Flaked barley doesn't have a roasted taste at all, so if you're getting a roasty flavor from your beer, then maybe it wasn't flaked barley? Or else you're picking up on the roasty flavor of the chocolate malt.

I used flaked barley for head retention and body instead of carapils in darker beers as it works great for that, but it can create a haze so I don't use it in light beers.

Flavorwise, it would have no impact.

Was the only difference that you used flaked barley instead of flaked oats? If so, then call it your usual nut brown. That's a pretty minor substitution -- certainly not a big enough change to create a different style.

I wonder if it was the fact I used up the bottom of the bag of my chocolate that did it. It was powdery and fine from all that had settled to the bottom of the bag. Maybe that's more potent?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back