What brand grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stlB

Reaction score
I havent brewed batch one yet but am so close I can taste it. So to my question what brand pale ale malt to buy and does it matter. btw I will be making a bells two hearted clone. thanks for the replies and happy holidays

Malt or extract?
Malt, for the pale ale I like the Great Western. Great grain for the price. DME Briess IMO is the best DME out there.

always been happy with briess for extract.

Lately for malty all grain beers I've been using the Gambrinus (which I think is cargill) ESB malt. I like it!

I have used rahr which I am not impressed with, my go to is great western since it is popular here on the west coast and I can find it pretty cheap... oh yeah it is a good grain too.

Thanks for the info so far fellas. Sorry I didnt state that it would be all grain and I will be ordering from country malt.

I use Canadian 2-row Pale and Best Malz Pils...

I have "heard" that some judges can actually taste a difference in quality when a beer is brewed with Briess grain. Which, by the way, Country Malt here doesnt even sell.

If you want to get to the nitty gritty, start looking at malt analysis sheets for different types of pale malt, that will give you some solid facts on what you are buying.

I use Canadian 2-row Pale and Best Malz Pils...

I have "heard" that some judges can actually taste a difference in quality when a beer is brewed with Briess grain. Which, by the way, Country Malt here doesnt even sell.

If you want to get to the nitty gritty, start looking at malt analysis sheets for different types of pale malt, that will give you some solid facts on what you are buying.

What is it that you see on a Briess analysis sheet that you don't like?

A lot of beers made with Briess malt have done very well in the second round of the NHC, these judges you know must not judge there.

Back