What brand BIAB bag do you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-lord

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got 7 bags that I've used over the years and all are still in good shape and I only use 2.
1 Wilser Brewer and 1 Brew Bag. Both are excellent and a great deal.
I think the Brew Bag might be better for tighter crush and its supposed to be 210 micron but I don't know what the Wilser bag is.
Just curious what others like or don't like about their bags.

I get mine from the dollar (make that 108-yen) store. The size is just about right, and I don't feel bad about throwing one away if I'm too lazy to clean it!

Wilser.

I like that it does not have unnecessary webbing straps. That makes it easy to use a prusik hitch to grab the bag wherever I want to for hoisting it.

Went through the paint strainer bags and the cheap (and coarse) LHBS bags. Bought a Wilser bag of each size kettle a few years ago and never looked back. Those bags will probably outlast me. Plus one for Wilser's ratchet pulleys and prusik hitch cords.

I've got 7 bags that I've used over the years and all are still in good shape and I only use 2.
1 Wilser Brewer and 1 Brew Bag. Both are excellent and a great deal.
I think the Brew Bag might be better for tighter crush and its supposed to be 210 micron but I don't know what the Wilser bag is.
Just curious what others like or don't like about their bags.

I've only done 3 BIAB so far (+1 in fermentor & 1 still bottle conditioning). Wilser bag has done the job so far.

Wilser for me. I have no complaints, but I do want to but a BrewBag and do a side by side.

It has come.
It is beautiful.
heavier duty than the amazon bag I was using.
The heavier duty locking pulley feels solid and it's nice and clicky.
My poverty pulley with the friction lock from HD did the job but this is nice.
Bet I don't have to pull up on the bag while pulling the cord to lift it with 20-30lbs of grain in it.

Will hopefully try tomorrow.

Cheap paint strainer bags worked fine in my 22 quart Presto pressure canner. I moved up to an 8 gallon kettle and the paint bags still worked but the tops tore after one or two uses because they really weren't big enough for the larger diameter. So I bought a Wilser bag and it works great.

Wilser since day one.
They hold 25# of wet grain no problem...I'd probably still be using my first bag but I seem to forget to dump the grain out or wash them from time to time :rolleyes:

Brew bag ... I have an winch and cable on my brew stand with a hook on it. The brew bag straps will go over the hook and I can hoist the bag out of the kettle to drain, twist and squeeze.

Wilser bag all the way!! I also use the bag hoist setup so no more backaches from struggling to lift it out myself. I was formerly using paint strainers bags, but switching to a wilser bag radically improved my brew day and the tighter mesh lets me crush finer while drastically reducing the amount of husk particulate that ends up in my fermenter.

Wilser. Got over 40 brews with mine, still looks like new, only a little darker.

I quit using a bag and have started using a 400 Micron basket by Chad at Arborfab.

So far, working great.

Pros stainless steel 400 micron basket. Woo hoo.

Cons Only one I can see is that there is a slightly smaller amount the basket will hold (compared to my old bag anyhow) due to the fact that I ordred 3/4 inch feet and have 3/4 inch clearance either side. A bag would fill the space completely, So, there's that.

Hasn't been a concern to me with a 30lb plus grain bill.

Been using and reusing the Brew Bag to do MIAB without almost no problem (see below) for a while now.

I have the brew bag its awesome as long as I keep pumpkin out of it

The only time I've had a stuck lautur/sparge was because of pumpkin as well... and I've done a 40/60 rye malt/wheat malt with it.

Paint strainer and a bag with strapes,working on the pulley system

This. Exactly. Like I was reading about myself. Without the self loathing or sarcastic non-sequiturs. My Wilser is 119 batches (5gal) strong and a lovely patina. It is art in motion.
Went through the paint strainer bags ... Bought a Wilser bag ... a few years ago and never looked back. Those bags will probably outlast me. Plus one for Wilser's ratchet pulleys and prusik hitch cords.

I got a used Wilser that came with some other equipment I bought and it works great. Other than the expected patina it has it's holding up great.

I also picked up "The Brew Bag" so I could have a back up and so I can use it to strain the wort as it goes into the bucket. The Brew Bag guys are located close to home so as a business owner I like to support local business. It's built pretty tough but I only have 3 brews thru it so far.

Both work great and I'd recommend either one.

Brew Bag from bagbrewer.com. I've been using it for 5 years, over 100 brews (including 15 gallon brews) in my 20g Concord triclad pot. No complaints whatsoever. It's been great, though I am considering moving to a SS mesh basket at some point to increase flow during mashing.

Black Friday sale @ wilserbrewer 20% off prices that are already 20% below “most other retailers” lol

Details in the sponsor showcase.

Thanks
Wilser

My Wilser bags came in the mail yesterday. Fantastic quality. Thanks for the two hop bags included. 5 batches with paint strainer bags and I stepped up. These bags are top notch! Can’t wait to brew.

Another vote for @wilserbrewer. Top notch quality and it has lasted me so far for a few years. Only mistake I ever made with it was not cleaning it out immediately and finding a lovely surprise waiting for me after a week...

Are you me? That's been exactly my experience! Tried to save the bag by washing it with bleach, but in the end I decided it wasn't worth the chance that I'd introduce something nasty into my next batch so I just ordered a new one. Barring any further brain farts on my part, it should last me quite a while.

Wilser bag testimonial - About 18 months ago I bought a wilser bag to fit my 4 gallon kettle. Already owned a WB for my 15 gallon kettle, (love it), but wanted to someday do 1 or 2 gallon batches. Never opened the bag until a few weeks ago - the morning I planned to brew a couple one gallon batches. Found out the bag didn't fit the kettle. Ended up using my big bag in the smaller kettle to save the brew day. Last Saturday I emailed Mike to tell him what happened, not expecting him to do anything about it since my fault that it had sat in my house for 18 months unopened. He replied right away and asked that I send back the original bag. I got it in the mail that day, and today when I got home from work today a new bag was waiting for me in the mailbox. Of course I opened it right away and verified it fits the 4 gallon kettle, (it does). Perfect timing since I'm planning on brewing a one gallon batch of Milk Stout tomorrow.

Remarkable customer service!! His bags are well built and at a really good price. That's why I'm recommending anyone looking to get into BIAB, or anyone who like me just wants another sized bag, look to Wilser Bags first. His product and customer service can't be beat!!

Thanks again Mike!!

I use a pillowcase, (specifically for that only) low tech but I only do less than 1 gallon brews anyway. I don't drink much beer.

Latest posts

Back