What are your favorite fermenters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_K

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone likes for fermenters for mead. I see a lot of people using 1 gallon jugs, but that sure makes adding and removing fruit a chore! I am thinking of buying some SS Tech brew buckets. They are stainless steel, conical base, and have a very wide opening for adding fruit and other things. And of course have a small spigot so I won't need to siphon at all, which is a huge benefit in my opinion (I don't like siphoning, especially cleaning and sanitizing the siphon!). Is there anything similar, better, than this setup? They come in 3.5, 7, and 15 gallon sizes.

Much less expensive - and are fairly easy to drill and attach your own spigot - I like plastic, food grade buckets. They come in many different sizes too.

Much less expensive - and are fairly easy to drill and attach your own spigot - I like plastic, food grade buckets. They come in many different sizes too.

Yeah, and they are about 10x cheaper for sure. I have a 7 gal bucket that came with a spigot and lid for IDK, maybe $25. I use it for bottling. Two things I don't like about it- 1) it's plastic and 2) the lid seals pretty well, but is fairly difficult to remove. Also possibly 3) really difficult to get the last 30 oz or so of liquid out!

Yeah, and they are about 10x cheaper for sure. I have a 7 gal bucket that came with a spigot and lid for IDK, maybe $25. I use it for bottling. Two things I don't like about it- 1) it's plastic and 2) the lid seals pretty well, but is fairly difficult to remove. Also possibly 3) really difficult to get the last 30 oz or so of liquid out!

The spigot on mine takes a standard 90 degree pvc elbow, just screws on. I only have about 4 oz left at the bottom of the bucket after bottling.

I start in a bucket. 6.5 gal. or 2 gal. Then rack into glass. 5 gal. or 1 gal. to clear & age.

Plastic may be an issue for you - won't argue over that but the only "lid" I use is a clean towel or dish-cloth. I am not brewing beer. I am fermenting wine or making mead. I need access to de-gas, add nutrients, and stir several times a day. A lid that seals is not anything I am looking for - and a small plastic elbow allows me to bottle everything but the last 50 ccs or thereabouts :mug:

They make a tool to open the lid easier. I sit on the lid and pull up with my fingers. That's easy enough for me. As for the last few ounces put a wedge under the opposite side of the bucket.

I use a plastic bucket for the primary (6.5gal), and Better Bottles (6gal) for the secondaries. Also have a 5gal glass carboy for those special occasions. Never had a problem with either. I don't do small batches, only large. My bucket doesn't have a spigot, I use a siphon (one of those with a piston). Sure sanitizing the siphon takes a few minutes, but you gotta sanitize the hose anyway and you can do it at the same time for all.

If you have trouble getting the last out of the fermenter, go get a book. Then use it as a wedge. :)

for you guys that use plastic, you don't find off tastes in your mead?

I strayed from a bucket because i read that it can cause oxidation or let air in and "contaminate," turn your brew to vinegar. Further research before i started i see a lot of people use buckets/pales.

I'm only on my first brew and learning.

Been using plastic buckets and bottles for nearly 6 years. Never had a fault in a beer or a wine that I could attribute to the fermenter.

for you guys that use plastic, you don't find off tastes in your mead?

I strayed from a bucket because i read that it can cause oxidation or let air in and "contaminate," turn your brew to vinegar. Further research before i started i see a lot of people use buckets/pales.

I'm only on my first brew and learning.

I could be wrong but I am not sure mead ever turns into vinegar, whereas Wine is more susceptible. I am not sure why.

It is key to use a "food grade" plastic bucket. I work extensively with commercial bakeries and they use them for everything from apple slices to lemon curd. The can sit in the buckets for more months than they would ever admit to and there are no issues with off flavors or oxidation. It is KEY though that be be completely sealed properly (the lids are a ***** to put on and take off). If the lid is on right and you don't have tons of head space, they can stay in the bucket from start to finish....

Unpasteurized Honey has its own antibacterial properties and helps to prevent bad bacteria. But with wine it has lots of bacteria from the skins and in the air that gets in the process so more care need to be added at least until the wine gets fermenting.

Back