What are your contrarian/"unpopular" beer opinions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would sure beat the aroma most of them currently have - either patchouli or unbathed. Or some combination of the two.

Hey, I like patchouli, and ambergris and sandalwood. I was thinking about brewing a Christmas beer with frankincense and mur as the bittering and flavor.

I want to answer every "critique my recipe/I made my first recipe, whaddya think?" post with "it will make beer"

Me too! Lol

The smart a$$ in me always wants to answer the threads that are questions (ie, Does this look right? Did I mess up? Should I dump this batch? Etc...) with a simple affirmation (and btw it's no, yes and yes).

I struggle not to be that guy...

I want to answer every "critique my recipe/I made my first recipe, whaddya think?" post with "it will make beer"

If I see it before anyone posts in a thread that starts out with "What would you call..."

I answer with a name. Bob, Fred, whatever comes to mind.

I don't care if anybody else thinks it's funny or not, but I get a kick out of it ;)

Recently at a church function, a friend of my 12 year old niece asked me:

"Is your name Bob?"
"Nope, it's Jon."
"You look like a Bob."

Bob's my Dad, Mom's an only child, so I can't have an uncle Bob

I do have 2 Aunt Kathys. Figure that one out

Hey all you sour lovers...

The-amazing-health-benefits-of-drinking-pickle-juice.png
;)

Fullers London Pride has a distinctive malty flavour and a rich balance of well developed hop character - no it hasn't, it's insipid and wussy and tastes like any other bland pale ale.

Ok, full disclosure; they're not both "Kathy"

My Dad's sisters, Kathleen and Katherine go by Kathy and Kitty, respectively

I think there is a logic flaw in RDWHAHB. I'm worried about my ****ty beer so if I just go have a home brew, it reminds me of my ****ty beer which makes me worry more.

I think there is a logic flaw in RDWHAHB. I'm worried about my ****ty beer so if I just go have a home brew, it reminds me of my ****ty beer which makes me worry more.

Well THAT one's easy to fix...STOP MAKING SH!TTY BEER & RDWHAHB😉 😁

Well THAT one's easy to fix...STOP MAKING SH!TTY BEER & RDWHAHB😉 😁

I did! Upped my game in yeast health and pitch rates and started building up my water from distilled and my beers have been much improved! I did a lot of worrying during those revelations though :)

My unpopular opinion: Sours suck!!! Blech! They're the beer antichrist! :tank:

Took the words right out of my mouth. I bought one the other day to see what all the fuss was about, took a sip, and what the **** did I just drink?

I can go either way on this one. But here's a heretical, semi-trolly thought:

New England IPA is not a thing. It's just a very poorly executed west-coast IPA. Hazy to the point of murky, wrong water chemistry. Just because it looks like orange juice with pulp doesn't make it a good beer style.
Holy ****...you just answered a question to a thread I posted this morning. In light of all this bull**** NE IPA stuff,. I made a harpoon IPA clone. it is so murky that im waiting for swamp thing to come out of it. The funny part is that I don't even like IPAs! I made it for my girl, and everyone else that is on the IPA kick. Now im troubleshooting something I don't even want to put time into.:off:

Holy ****...you just answered a question to a thread I posted this morning. In light of all this bull**** NE IPA stuff,. I made a harpoon IPA clone. it is so murky that im waiting for swamp thing to come out of it. The funny part is that I don't even like IPAs! I made it for my girl, and everyone else that is on the IPA kick. Now im troubleshooting something I don't even want to put time into.:off:

Um... Harpoon IPA is not a "New England IPA". It's a regular IPA that happens to be brewed in New England. Big Difference.

tomatoes tomatoes, either way it sucks:rockin:

Oh, and Harpoon IPA is crystal clear. If yours was murky, you did it wrong.

So you made a bad home version of a good beer, and are knocking an entire category of beer because you made a bad clone of a beer that isn't even the style you're bashing...

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, just pointing out that the reasoning you are pointing to for your assertion is horribly flawed.

It;s like if I made a bad batch of a Newcastle clone and said porters suck because my Newcastle clone sucked.

Have you ever had an actual NEIPA? Maybe you have, maybe not (you didn't cite any examples other than your home-made clone of something that isn't an NEIPA).

NEIPA are not solely defined by being hazy or murky. It's emerging more as a sub-style of IPA, based on its appearance AND balance. The balance is more towards the late hop additions to drive more juicy/fruity flavors, while backing off the initial bittering charge, limiting it to 30-50ish IBUs. Saying it's a NEIPA refers more to the balance of the IPA, not just the clarity. I've had NEIPAs that aren't super murky and can still see through em, but they were all balanced the way.

But flour in beer? Just stop.

NEIPA are not solely defined by being hazy or murky. It's emerging more as a sub-style of IPA, based on its appearance AND balance. The balance is more towards the late hop additions to drive more juicy/fruity flavors, while backing off the initial bittering charge, limiting it to 30-50ish IBUs. Saying it's a NEIPA refers more to the balance of the IPA, not just the clarity. I've had NEIPAs that aren't super murky and can still see through em, but they were all balanced the way.

But flour in beer? Just stop.

I agree with this, I've been brewing IPA and pale ales heavy on the late additions since I learned to brew in early 2011 long before i ever heard of a NEIPA, my beers were always hazy back then when a lot of people went the extra mile for clear beer, now that i have gotten much better at brewing and patience rewards me with clear beer I see folks adding flour to beer for a juicy appearance

I have excepted the fact I will always be behind the curve haha [emoji23]

Adding flour to beer to increase haze is dumb (as well as 100% unnecessary), but fortunately I think it's a very, very small number of people and breweries doing it.

Oh, and Harpoon IPA is crystal clear. If yours was murky, you did it wrong.

So you made a bad home version of a good beer, and are knocking an entire category of beer because you made a bad clone of a beer that isn't even the style you're bashing...

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, just pointing out that the reasoning you are pointing to for your assertion is horribly flawed.

It;s like if I made a bad batch of a Newcastle clone and said porters suck because my Newcastle clone sucked.

Have you ever had an actual NEIPA? Maybe you have, maybe not (you didn't cite any examples other than your home-made clone of something that isn't an NEIPA).

Well im glad you are not trying to pick a fight....because the rest of your sentences are super misleading. Like I said not really an IPA guy at all so I apologize for offending you. anyways, have a great day sir!:mug:

Well im glad you are not trying to pick a fight....because the rest of your sentences are super misleading. Like I said not really an IPA guy at all so I apologize for offending you. anyways, have a great day sir!:mug:

No offense taken, and I don't even think it's necessary to defend the style (NEIPA) if you don't like it.
And I truly am not picking a fight.
I am simply pointing out that the sample you used for the basis of your opinion is severely flawed, as it is not even in the style.

Moreover, a homemade clone of a beer, no matter how well or poorly executed, is not a good indicator because it is likely to be quite different than the actual commercial version. Perhaps I was overly aggressive in calling it a "bad" homebrew sample, thereby indirectly insulting your brewing ability, which was not my intent - my point is that if you made a Harpoon clone and it is couldy, then you are already experiencing at least some degree of the variance I just referenced (homebrewed clone vs. commercial).

I guess my point is that before knocking a style, you should probably try one or two of the better commercial versions if you can (I recommend Green or Julius by Treehouse). I see from your profile that you are in Nurnburg, so that may be a real challenge, but it's worth the effort when you can, because NEIPAs are actually quite popular among people who are not traditional IPA fans (especially of West Coast IPAs) because they lack the assertive bitterness that turns many people off, with the hops focus being on flavor and aroma (usually citrusy and or tropical).

As I said, if you're not interested in the style, it's no skin off my back, but if you are interested in giving it a try (you may like it), you should use a better data point. That's all.

I realize in retrospect that I came across overly aggressive about the whole matter, and for that I apologize. I really wanted to point out that you were using flawed data to arrive at your conclusion.

Cheers. :mug:

No offense taken, and I don't even think it's necessary to defend the style (NEIPA) if you don't like it.
And I truly am not picking a fight.
I am simply pointing out that the sample you used for the basis of your opinion is severely flawed, as it is not even in the style.

Moreover, a homemade clone of a beer, no matter how well or poorly executed, is not a good indicator because it is likely to be quite different than the actual commercial version. Perhaps I was overly aggressive in calling it a "bad" homebrew sample, thereby indirectly insulting your brewing ability, which was not my intent - my point is that if you made a Harpoon clone and it is couldy, then you are already experiencing at least some degree of the variance I just referenced (homebrewed clone vs. commercial).

I guess my point is that before knocking a style, you should probably try one or two of the better commercial versions if you can (I recommend Green or Julius by Treehouse). I see from your profile that you are in Nurnburg, so that may be a real challenge, but it's worth the effort when you can, because NEIPAs are actually quite popular among people who are not traditional IPA fans (especially of West Coast IPAs) because they lack the assertive bitterness that turns many people off, with the hops focus being on flavor and aroma (usually citrusy and or tropical).

As I said, if you're not interested in the style, it's no skin off my back, but if you are interested in giving it a try (you may like it), you should use a better data point. That's all.

I realize in retrospect that I came across overly aggressive about the whole matter, and for that I apologize. I really wanted to point out that you were using flawed data to arrive at your conclusion.

Cheers. :mug:

no harm no foul man, I try to drink ipas because in Germany that is the main type of craft beer there is, and i like to go to these bars and check out what other brewers make. But on the other hand, all the beer here is great. And I was saying my clone sucks. I can do super low ibu ipas. but other than that I feel like im drinking straight hops.

ive had some that are hit or miss, and being that a lot of people come by and drink beer at the house, I try to make a little bit of something for everyone. I will shop around and see what I can find. I will be in the states at the end of the year, may just have to wait.

My unpopular opinion: Sours suck!!! Blech! They're the beer antichrist! :tank:

What? I'm offended and I can't handle criticism. You either have really bad taste or you just haven't seen the light yet. I must convert you or heckle you into silence. Oh wait... you said sours and not NEIPA? Never mind then. Carry on.
:D

Latest posts

Back