What are your contrarian/"unpopular" beer opinions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexnova

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Totally copying this thread idea from another forum. :D

What unpopular or contrarian opinions do you hold about beer, be it homebrew or commercial?

One rule: No arguing. This is supposed to be a happy occasion!

b0ccf5dcf41e3a3f4b63e290bdb0dc465715aa6bbc8154f4a399d3079654f08f.jpg

:mug:

I'll start...

There are too many damn IPAs. One craft/micro near me makes IPAs almost exclusively. Then there's now "brown IPA" and "session IPA" ... it all sounds gimmicky to me. At this rate there'll be a gose IPA by the end of the year. :rolleyes:

Rehydrating dry yeast is unnecessary. I know Palmer says to rehydrate, but IMHO this is using a baker's trick (proofing) where it's not needed. A baker needs the wee yeasties to do their thing in just a few hours before baking, and rehydrating/proofing gets things going faster. Brewing is on a longer time horizon.

"Hard" versions of sodas ... why? I really don't see the point. If I want a "hard" root beer, I'll just spike my root beer with liquor. A little gin is fantastic.

Totally copying this thread idea from another forum. :D

What unpopular or contrarian opinions do you hold about beer, be it homebrew or commercial?

One rule: No arguing. This is supposed to be a happy occasion!

b0ccf5dcf41e3a3f4b63e290bdb0dc465715aa6bbc8154f4a399d3079654f08f.jpg

:mug:

I'll start...

There are too many damn IPAs. One craft/micro near me makes IPAs almost exclusively. Then there's now "brown IPA" and "session IPA" ... it all sounds gimmicky to me. At this rate there'll be a gose IPA by the end of the year. :rolleyes:

Rehydrating dry yeast is unnecessary. I know Palmer says to rehydrate, but IMHO this is using a baker's trick (proofing) where it's not needed. A baker needs the wee yeasties to do their thing in just a few hours before baking, and rehydrating/proofing gets things going faster. Brewing is on a longer time horizon.

"Hard" versions of sodas ... why? I really don't see the point. If I want a "hard" root beer, I'll just spike my root beer with liquor. A little gin is fantastic.

I know there is no arguing, but just a rebuttal to your one point. I don't think proofing (which is not the same as rehydrating) is necessary if you have fresh yeast. But, not rehydrating does mean you're likely to underpitch since about half the yeast cells die when hitting the wort if they're not rehydrated. I used to also think rehydrating was a waste of time until someone with a microscope and experience did cell counts of wort after sprinkling dry yeast vs. rehydrating, and indeed, there were only half the viable cells as compared to rehydrated. I did a search to provide a link to this experiment, but couldn't find it. I think it was posted on this site.

After reading this experiment, I looked into the mechanism to explain it, and it makes sound biological sense (I have a biology degree). Basically, when a dry yeast is added to liquid, it does not have the ability to control the flow of solutes through the cell membrane at first. This can result in cell lysis and death. Rehydrating in water first allows the cell membrane the ability to control the flow of solutes before putting them into a solution full of solutes.

What unpopular or contrarian opinions do you hold about beer, be it home brew or commercial?

My unpopular opinion about home brewing with extract is that extract brews do not always finish at 1.020 or higher.

There are too many damn IPAs. ... it all sounds gimmicky to me. :rolleyes:

Agreed IPAs are overdone.

I ditched my hydrometer... haven't used one for a long time. My beer comes out great and gets me feeling good. :drunk:

Never used corn sugar/dextrose. Beer tastes better with cane sugar.

I think hard and fast rules about how long bottled beer takes to carbonate cause people to either miss out on drinking beer at its best or waste beer that isn't ready. Light session strength beers carb fast and taste best as fresh as possible - great with a single week in the bottle. Opening a really big dark ale before 3 months is a waste.

Not sure if the big beer part is unpopular, but I don't hear different on drinking session beers early from many people.

Bud Light is the best Beer in the world, Millions of people agree with me.
Second Best: Best Damm Root beer
Best Foods: White Bread, Mc Donalds, same reason as above.
Best Entertainment: Network Tv, Top, Top 40 music. Any movie that has explosions.
END OF SARCASTIC RANT

I don't see the point in brewing a 4% lager. I'll just go buy a case of Coors for $12 and call it a day. Hell! I don't even care to make lagers anymore! I'd rather just make a fine ale!

I don't brew anything under 7% abv. That includes sours. Anything less is a waste of valuable time for me.

Bourbon barrel beers are friggin' everywhere nowadays, and are all the rage... and I don't like them at all.

I don't see the point in brewing a 4% lager. I'll just go buy a case of Coors for $12 and call it a day. Hell! I don't even care to make lagers anymore! I'd rather just make a fine ale!

I don't brew anything under 7% abv. That includes sours. Anything less is a waste of valuable time for me.

Sour beers are friggin' everywhere nowadays, and are all the rage... and I don't like them at all.

I have been hacked!! Lol

And I fixed it for you,,,

That breweries should spend more time & money focusing on making great beer instead of marketing because marketing leads to this sort of mindset: "I bought it because of the the awesome artwork on the label....I stood in line for 3 hours so I know it's great beer....I paid $15 for a 12 ounce beer of octothorp-birchbark-lichen-peppermint beer so it's got to be good....if it's not hazy, I'm not drinking it". I had best stop there with my examples. But before you respond I will say that I brew with unusual ingredients sometimes; though I like my beer clear, my hoppy beers have a haze (different than the color of yellow skim milk); and my beer tastes better because I share it with my friends for free!

I have been hacked!! Lol

And I fixed it for you,,,

I love sour beers. Unfortunately, majority of the ones on the market are not very good lately... so much so that I hesitate to buy any recently. Seems every brewery wants to make some, yet only a handful seem to understand sours. Shame.

3 Floyd's always releases fantastic sours. Obviously the same for Rare Barrel. Never pass these up, sour lovers!

I don't see the point of recirculating the wort. If you heat exchagner is working right the wort will be at pitching temp (or as cold as your gonna get due to your cooling water) in one pass.

Back