What are your contrarian/"unpopular" beer opinions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 hours sounds like a lot. It takes me well under an hour to bottle a 5-gallon batch and clean everything up. I typically do it either during a 1 hr mash or a 1 hour boil on brew day.

And then I don't have to clean the keg or the keg lines. :ban: (but I still keg for special events or when I run out of bottles).

That's including de-labeling, washing, rinsing, and sanitizing all of the bottles. The last 3 steps are in the dishwasher which takes about an hour to run.

Cleaning a keg and keg lines takes 10 minutes on a slow day though, but to each his own!

I get to Germany a lot, and friends say "wow you must love the great beer". No I don't, it's high quality but very boring.
You're going to the wrong places.
Stick to northern Bavaria/Franconia. That's where the beer is great and interesting and you still have a lot of small, local hometown breweries that are putting out great product (Kellerbier and Rauchbier are Franconia-specific styles). And Kloster (Monastery) breweries like Kreuzberg make amazing beer (Klosterbier).

Munich good but is overrated because the big iconic breweries are just German mega-breweries like ours churning out mass-produced product that isn't worthy of its heritage.

Ive gone dseveral times in the last few years (my GF is Franconian), and been highly impressed with the beers there, but in too much of Germany all you can get is a mediocre Kolsh or Pils.

I'm with you, I often find myself lying when I taste beer my friends have brewed. They're so excited, so rather then dampen their enthusiasm, I agree with them that it's really good and I wonder aloud why they haven't gone pro.

I guess it's just one of those harmless lies, akin to some of the following Valentine's day lies ......"no, that dress doesn't make you look fat" .... or..... "I love you as much today as I did 20 years ago" ....or .... "your the best thing that ever happened to me"

There all just lies your have to tell to keep your relationships intact

I tell people if they don't like it, tell me, I won't be offended, but if they lie to me and say they like it when they don't, I'm going to give them more of it and they'll have to choke it down!

Yeah it's gotten to the point where "you should ever use any crystal malt" is becoming a contrarian position.
I agree. I put 8 ounces of crystal 40 in a Double IPA late last year. Don't tell anyone, or they'll come take away my brewer's card.

I hadn't realized until this thread how contrarian my beer opinions are:

Glass > Plastic

That's including de-labeling, washing, rinsing, and sanitizing all of the bottles. The last 3 steps are in the dishwasher which takes about an hour to run.

I get it. you are doing it wrong. :ban:

all my bottles were de-labeled, washed and rinsed long ago. all i do is dunk them in sanitizer for a few minutes, lightly rinse, drain and fill. The key is to rinse out bottles as soon as you pour the beer into your glass.

Wait, you can ferment *in the keg*???? Is that a thing?
:confused:

Corny keg fermenting has been around for a long time. Look at the link in my signature. There are a bunch of threads about it on this site too.

I ferment in the keg then rack under a closed system to a serving keg. It has its own quirks but i find it to be a net positive.

I get it. you are doing it wrong. :ban:

all my bottles were de-labeled, washed and rinsed long ago. all i do is dunk them in sanitizer for a few minutes, lightly rinse, drain and fill. The key is to rinse out bottles as soon as you pour the beer into your glass.

I did all of that.. still hated bottling, still way more work than kegging. :mug:

I love session IPA. Yeah, it's a marketing ploy but it is some tasty beer. Point brewery is one I thoroughly enjoy.
That and marketing plots are not necessarily a bad thing. I like the pretty cans!

I love session IPA. Yeah, it's a marketing ploy but it is some tasty beer. Point brewery is one I thoroughly enjoy.
That and marketing plots are not necessarily a bad thing. I like the pretty cans!

I agree, I appreciate breweries who brew sessionable beers...I'd like to have a couple of pints w/o getting hammered!

That is definitely not an 'unpopular' beer opinion...Session IPAs might be the most popular style right now...much to my chagrin!

Coors Light packed on ice at the beach on a super hot sunny day is better than any crafty beer under the same circumstances.

Session IPA is fine for homebrew since you can make more of a weaker beer for about the same money as more of a stronger beer. That's great. But when buying it you end up paying a whole lot of money for that extra water which sucks.

Session IPA is fine for homebrew since you can make more of a weaker beer for about the same money as more of a stronger beer. That's great. But when buying it you end up paying a whole lot of money for that extra water which sucks.

AND you can make it better by adding some body. Most of those session IPAs are watery messes.

Corny keg fermenting has been around for a long time. Look at the link in my signature. There are a bunch of threads about it on this site too.

I ferment in the keg then rack under a closed system to a serving keg. It has its own quirks but i find it to be a net positive.
Fascinating.
Well, at any rate, I'm a bottler, not a kegger. I make beer faster than I can drink it, so cellaring in the bottle makes more sense for me. I currently have all or part of 12 different batches in the cellar. Keeping 12 taps running all the time would put me in the poor house.

edit: (And the doghouse.)

Session beers are great but it should be illegal to charge more than $7 a pint or $13 a 6'er for them. Too many times I've wanted a mild or session IPA and they wanna charge $8 for it. Sorry, at that price I might as well get drunk on something stronger.

People are definately suppose to proofread there posts; that way your going to make less mistakes, then without, proofreading. Rules of grammar is something schools should insure their alumnis know about.

Shouldn't we be focusing upon contrarian brewing opinions, rather than grammatical issues?

Back