What are you reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just looking for The Long Walk and realized that I go rid of it, with most of my books. Might have sold at a garage sale or just put in garbage in a deep cleaning a few years ago. Anyway, most of my books are gone. I've heard of people donating to libraries or schools. I've been reading 90% on my Kindle for several years, so I'm not accumulating any more books.

What do you avid readers do with books after you read them?

I was just looking for The Long Walk and realized that I go rid of it, with most of my books. Might have sold at a garage sale or just put in garbage in a deep cleaning a few years ago. Anyway, most of my books are gone. I've heard of people donating to libraries or schools. I've been reading 90% on my Kindle for several years, so I'm not accumulating any more books.

... I have totes full of books in my basement, books bursting off of every shelf, books stacked on my end tables, and books stuck into every crevice where one will fit. Apparently, "horde them" is the answer. Oh, and I have little kids, so there are kids books everywhere else.

I don't like reading off of a tablet. Maybe I'm a Luddite, but I like the feel and look of paper. There's something to be said for the tactile experience of turning a page. I just feel more engaged in a way that swiping a screen can't replicate.

My "solution" has been to go to the library more, but I still buy a handful of books every year, and a few still turn up as gifts. Plus, I'm always pulling out books to reread. It's a never ending battle, but it's better than when I would buy every book I wanted to read new. I should go through and get rid of the ones I know I won't reread, though.

.... I've been reading 90% on my Kindle for several years, so I'm not accumulating any more books.

I read mostly eBooks these days (Kindle, PDF...), mostly using Kindle Reader on my tablet.

I mostly hold on to reference books....like Daniels D.G.B. !

Other physical books usually come from and return to a book exchange. I spend a lot of time on boats and most marinas have a book exchange area.

Got Jared Diamond's "Guns, Germs, and Steel" and "Collapse" from such a book exchanges. Both amazing books. Returned them to an exchange so someone else could experience them.

Other true surivial at sea books:

"Adrift" by Steve Callahan

"Albatross" by Debbie Scaling.

I read Adrift a long time ago. That's a good one.

For a fascinating tale at sea, one of my favorites is The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst.

I recently re-read the story of Thor Heyerdahl and the Kon Tiki is a fantastic story of a remarkable and suicidal journey at sea.

Skeletons on the Zahara is a great one too that starts at sea with a ship and sailors, but ends up much different.

I've read a bunch of epic kayaking books. The best was Running the Amazon. Keep Australia on your Left was funny.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't buy fiction any more, not even used. Except for the classics (love Dickens!) that I might pick up again down the road, I rarely re-read anything. I don't even buy e-books unless they are on sale; I can't justify spending almost as much as a physical book for them. I get almost all of my reading material from the library. We have a very good intra-library loan system here and they will purchase books if they don't have them. This also serves as a nice limiter on how much time I spend reading fiction.

I just finished the third book in the Big Sigma series by Joseph Lallo, Artificial Evolution. What a fun read. It looks like he's going to continue the series too, which I am happy about.

Book.jpg

I don't buy fiction any more, not even used. Except for the classics (love Dickens!) that I might pick up again down the road, I rarely re-read anything. I don't even buy e-books unless they are on sale; I can't justify spending almost as much as a physical book for them. I get almost all of my reading material from the library. We have a very good intra-library loan system here and they will purchase books if they don't have them. This also serves as a nice limiter on how much time I spend reading fiction.

Lots of freebie classic eBooks on Google Books and Gutenburg. I read Twains "Life on The Mississippi" last year which I downloaded. Interesting to me because I grew up on the Mississippi and enoyed read the historic accounts of many places I know...and Twain is always entertaining and insightful.

The Islandman- Tomas O'Crohan. A biographical record of life on the Great Blasket Island on Dingle Bay of the coast if Ireland from 1850 through 1937.
I'm going to have to pick the Islandman. There is a novel called Twenty Years a Growing (by Maurice O'Sulivan) which deals with growing up and living in The Great Blasket just before the island inhabitants completely emigrated. I had the pleasure of seeing The Blasket from Dingle Bay as well few pints plain in the town of Dingle.

Lots of freebie classic eBooks on Google Books and Gutenburg. I read Twains "Life on The Mississippi" last year which I downloaded. Interesting to me because I grew up on the Mississippi and enoyed read the historic accounts of many places I know...and Twain is always entertaining and insightful.

That brings back memories... I grew up in Ohio. My brother and I were collecting wood pallets and old innertubes in our back yard to build a raft to take us down the Ohio and then the Mississippi. We mapped our route and planned thoroughly based on Huck Finn and Jim's travels, but then found out that there were locks were on the river that would have made our journey too difficult. We read all the Twain books back then. They were partially our guide to growing up (Hardy Boys too). But I never read Life on the Miss - I didn't start reading non-fiction until I was older.

I'm going to have to pick the Islandman. There is a novel called Twenty Years a Growing (by Maurice O'Sulivan) which deals with growing up and living in The Great Blasket just before the island inhabitants completely emigrated. I had the pleasure of seeing The Blasket from Dingle Bay as well few pints plain in the town of Dingle.

Right on, I can send it to you after I finish it if you want. My folks picked it up there and its migrated more than an Irishman.

John Dies at the End

Anyone read this? The first chapter was whacked and very funny in a whacked kinda way. Super nutty paranormal ghostbusters weirdness.

Holy carp this one got crazy and scary. It seemed pretty funny but NOT scary at first, but the main character's world is getting major freaky. Read a lot of it last night. It's turning out to be one of those I can't put down.

I am currently half way through the "The Practical Brewer" by Master Brewers Association of America." Its a fun read so far. Really dives into the macro and micro side of brewing.

The Arabian Nights, aka 1,001 Arabian Nights. Interesting read so far, but I am only up to around the tenth tale...I have a long way to go.

I had to put aside "For Whom the Bell Tolls" to read "The 5 Patterns of Extraordinary Careers" by Citrin and Smith. It's kind of interesting, but there's not a lot in here I hadn't already intuited.

Essentially, these guys data mined the archives of a corporate recruiter and sent out a bunch of surveys to find patterns in extraordinary careers. Which is fine, but then they use a case-in-point for each topic, and those case studies are examples from super famous and successful CEOs and GMs. It's hard not to read the case studies and wonder if this is really an example of their point or if it's just coincidental. It's also hard not to wonder if there really is a lesson I can glean from something one really successful person did in one extraordinary circumstance. Jesus walked on water, but there's not much I can do to replicate it. Still, there are some occasional good points and nuances I hadn't considered. Overall, the book I talked about earlier in this thread by Useem was much better.

In other news, guess who has a corporate reading list?

John Dies at the End

Anyone read this? The first chapter was whacked and very funny in a whacked kinda way. Super nutty paranormal ghostbusters weirdness.

Just read the preview; holy $hit! Think I'll stop by the bookstore in the morning & pick this up. This looks to be quite an interesting, entertaining & exciting read!
Thanks for the heads-up on this one PP, I doubt I would've heard of it otherwise.
Regards, GF. :mug:

John Dies at the End

Picked this up Friday morning & found it very difficult to put down all weekend. A damned good read! It's WEIRD, funny, sad at times, VERY exciting, some parts require some mental gymnastics from the reader, but it's a roller coaster of a good read. Thanks again for the heads-up on this one PassedPawn!

Picked this up Friday morning & found it very difficult to put down all weekend. A damned good read! It's WEIRD, funny, sad at times, VERY exciting, some parts require some mental gymnastics from the reader, but it's a roller coaster of a good read. Thanks again for the heads-up on this one PassedPawn!

Don't tell me what happens at the end! I stalled on it... I'm in California visiting family and not reading.

Just started reading "Water: A Comprehensive Guide for Brewers" by Palmer and Kaminski. Not bad so far, though I am only 1/3 into it.

Donate to the library. In fact, I've got a couple of books to take over there along with my DVD collection. I've ripped all the DVDs to my NAS anyway...

I'm down to one box of books in the house... Mostly reference or hardcover.

Same here. Friends of the Library. The local libraries have small volunteer (read senior citizen work force) bookstore attached.

I don't usually read. Just isn't my thing, never really has been. That said,
The Original Tales of the Brothers Grimm, being the first edition translated into English seems worthwhile and my style. Not too far at this point, but enjoying the classics as they were intended.

You know, those good ol' times when *SPOILER* Cinderella's sisters listened to their mother's advice to chop off chunks of their feet to fit the classic footwear? Perhaps you don't remember that and it's time for a refresher?
/ *SPOILER*

Latest posts

Back