What are you reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm working my way into Wool and it's pretty cool. One of those books you can't wait to get back too.

Man, I was up till wee hours turning the pages of this one. It's captivating - while reading it you'll be certain it's gonna be made into a movie...

... so I checked just now. Ridley Scott directs for 20th Century Fox. This was a self-published Amazon novella by a nobody. What a sweet success story.

Apparently the story is broken up over 5 novellas. I bought the lot of them as the "Omnibus Edition" for my Kindle for about $5.

Anyway, I'm only about 25% in, but I highly recommend. So far. It's not the elevated writing style of GRRMartin or Cormac McCarthy, more like Rowling or Suzanne Collins. A little plodding occasionally, but always captivating in a dystopian world, foreshadowed mysteries kind of way.

Wool is a 5-novella set that is part of a larger "Silo Series". After Wool, you can read the 3-novella Shift series, which is a prequel to Wool, then Dust, which is epilogue to it all. I'm blowing through them so quickly, I'm sure I'll read all.

I enjoyed it quite a bit as well. It is pleasantly unpredictable. Just when you think you have settled into a groove and have a feel for how things are going to go, the whole plot switches up on you. Great stuff. The author does a very good job of keeping you on your toes right up to the last page of the last book.

I picked up the Dystopian set for Kindle that was mentioned earlier in this thread and started into it this morning. First up, an excerpt from Sand by Hugh Howey! Quite the coincidence given that I just reserved it at our public library a few days ago. So far it has that same "can't put it down" quality as the Silo series.

Read sand and I am on to the rest of the Dystopia collection mentioned as well. Also bought an apocalyptic series of 99 cents as well. Bought the Wool (omnibus) as well. Had to recharge my Kindle with all this reading.

My wife bought me "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Hemingway. I'm all the way to page 18, haha.

Hemingway is possibly my favorite author. I came late to his books, reading "The Old Man and the Sea" right after "Moby Dick." The transition in style blew me away. Hemingway's writing is so simple, so understated. It's like gliding across a clear sea with a whole ocean beneath every line.

As a side note, (for those unaware) Two-Hearted Ale is named for Hemingway's short story "Big Two-Hearted River." I had a great moment in literature when, upon reading the story for the first time, I realized the beer I had seen at the store corresponded to it! I ran out, bought a sixer, and enjoyed both firsts together. I have a super pretentious picture of it somewhere.

My wife bought me "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Hemingway. I'm all the way to page 18, haha.

Hemingway is possibly my favorite author. I came late to his books, reading "The Old Man and the Sea" right after "Moby Dick." The transition in style blew me away. Hemingway's writing is so simple, so understated. It's like gliding across a clear sea with a whole ocean beneath every line.

As a side note, (for those unaware) Two-Hearted Ale is named for Hemingway's short story "Big Two-Hearted River." I had a great moment in literature when, upon reading the story for the first time, I realized the beer I had seen at the store corresponded to it! I ran out, bought a sixer, and enjoyed both firsts together. I have a super pretentious picture of it somewhere.

Yep, the trout on the bottle was what the character in that story was fly-fishing for. I read the story long before I discovered craft beer.

Now on to Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher and The New World Guide to Beer by Michael Jackson (xmas presents) :rockin:

The Islandman- Tomas O'Crohan. A biographical record of life on the Great Blasket Island on Dingle Bay of the coast if Ireland from 1850 through 1937.

Had to replace my phone, which is my reading device, when the speaker went crappy on my old phone (which also replaced my first phone of that model when IT'S speaker also when on the fritz! (Thank you protection plan!)

Anyway, I can use the phone for a few things, but until I have the screen protector put on it I am unable to read books on it. I still have an older model phone with ebook software installed so I charged that up so I could get started on Christopher Moore's "The Stupidest Angel", a Pine Cove novel.

Only a few pages in, but it's got a few of the characters I've come to know and love from previous books. Looks to be as witty and humourous as the others.

I'd really like to see one of his books made into a movie. I think he could do well even on SyFy channel as a Saturday feature, if not a major motion picture.

Got the Game of Thrones box set for Christmas, going to try and finish all the volumes before next season comes out this Spring

Wow, the whole series in so few months? That is a very optimistic reading list. I kind of had to plod my through the last one. It may have been fatigue, but that one took me the longest to read.I read fast but dont know if I could get that much done that quick. even when I had to work sundays and was able to read the whole 8 hours.

I enjoyed every minute of the series. Compared to parts of The Wheel of Time it moves along quite nicely!

But yeah, you better hurry to get through it before the next season starts. The books are ahead anyway, so you are probably fine.

Just a warning though. You-Know-Who dies...

I ran to B&N to get a book for one of my wife's classes, but spotted Robinson Crusoe while searching. Have about 20 pages left.

I'm still waiting for Skin Game to come out in paperback. Seems like it takes longer for a new Dresden Files book to come out since Butcher started the Codex series.
Regards, GF.

Funny, I literally just finished reading the Codex series about 15 minutes ago. The Codex is done, although he's supposed to have a new series coming out - The Cinder Spires. I hear the next DF book is gonna be called Peace Talks. I dunno...when has Harry been big on peace?

Ive always felt I should like Hemmingway more. His books appeal to me because of the lifestyle. "Islands in the Stream" for example...is about several islands significant in his life. All adjacent to the Gulf Stream. I spent many NYEs staying at The Compleate Angler on Bimini. He used to spend a lot of time there. Loads of Hemmingway memoribelia on the walls. Trajically, it all went up in smoke. Another was Isla Parasio in Cuba...beautiful spot.

For a real life correlary to Moby Dick try The Story of the Whale Ship Essex. Very similar real story. Melville worked in the whaling industry during the same era and almost certainly new the story of the Essex. Speculatution is that it was the inspiration for Moby Dick.

Ive always felt I should like Hemmingway more. His books appeal to me because of the lifestyle. "Islands in the Stream" for example...is about several islands significant in his life. All adjacent to the Gulf Stream. I spent many NYEs staying at The Compleate Angler on Bimini. He used to spend a lot of time there. Loads of Hemmingway memoribelia on the walls. Trajically, it all went up in smoke. Another was Isla Parasio in Cuba...beautiful spot.

For a real life correlary to Moby Dick try The Story of the Whale Ship Essex. Very similar real story. Melville worked in the whaling industry during the same era and almost certainly new the story of the Essex. Speculatution is that it was the inspiration for Moby Dick.

Yes! The story of the whaleship Essex is a fantastic book. The first chapter will grab you. In fact, Herman Melville bases his iconic book on this true story of a whale taking down a ship. The book is equally about the epic survival story of the whalers that survived while floating the ocean in whaling longboats, cannibalism included.

Here's the version I read which I highly recommend. http://www.amazon.com/dp/0141001828/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:

"Islands in the Stream" is one of the most emotionally powerful books I've ever read - which is amazing to me when I consider that I had never heard of it before I found it on the library shelf! It's fantastic. I'm not a little envious that you've spent time on Bimini.

Great tip on "The Story of the Whale Ship Essex." It will have to go on my reading list!

Funny, I literally just finished reading the Codex series about 15 minutes ago. The Codex is done, although he's supposed to have a new series coming out - The Cinder Spires. I hear the next DF book is gonna be called Peace Talks. I dunno...when has Harry been big on peace?

Best Harry Dresden quote ever:
“You're in America now, our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer.”
Regards, GF.

Just finished "American Sniper" by Chris Kyle....definitely worth a read

I'm glad I found this thread. I now have some good ideas about what to read next.

Have any of you read the Gormenghast trilogy by Mervyn Peake? A friend recommended it and I'm about 80 pages in to the first book, Titus Groan. So far it is just so freaking dreary, and very little seems to be happening. I'm thinking about abandoning this book, which I rarely do. Does anyone have an opinion? Does it get better?

Quite cooincidentally, I went to the movies this weekend and there was a trailer for Heart of the Sea, the true story behind Moby Dick.

My sleep aid book: Incidents of Travel in the Yucatan by John Lewis Stevenson. Fascinating from a big picture perspective, but the writing style and minute attention to trivial social detail, both common of the era, are very tedious and help me nod off to sleep.

Best Harry Dresden quote ever:
“You're in America now, our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer.”
Regards, GF.

Similar to a statement in "Confessions of An Economic Hitman" (very good, true story). Said to a South American politician by a USA agent. Paraphrased: "In this pocket I've got a few million for you and your family. In the other pocket I've got a bullet with you name in it. Which would you prefer?"

Yes! The story of the whaleship Essex is a fantastic book. The first chapter will grab you. In fact, Herman Melville bases his iconic book on this true story of a whale taking down a ship. The book is equally about the epic survival story of the whalers that survived while floating the ocean in whaling longboats, cannibalism included.

Here's the version I read which I highly recommend. http://www.amazon.com/dp/0141001828/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

If you liked that, also try "Custom of The Sea". Another very well written account of a true sea story.

BTW, they call this story the greatest true one ever told, but I think the winner is easily of Shackleton and the Endurance. If anyone is into true life (non-fiction) adventure stories, PM me I've read a ton.

Shackleton had big steel cajones. The original "South", written by Shackleton, presents this epic expedition like he was walking across town for tea.

Similar to a statement in "Confessions of An Economic Hitman" (very good, true story). Said to a South American politician by a USA agent. Paraphrased: "In this pocket I've got a few million for you and your family. In the other pocket I've got a bullet with you name in it. Which would you prefer?"

Does this story take place during the Eisenhower administration & does it involve the Chiquita banana company?
Regards, GF.

BTW, they call this story the greatest true one ever told, but I think the winner is easily of Shackleton and the Endurance. If anyone is into true life (non-fiction) adventure stories, PM me I've read a ton.

An incredible story! I haven't read it in years, but their perseverance is astounding. It's hard to imagine a group of men enduring more harsh elements, longer odds, and coming out on top.

Shackleton had big steel cajones.

True. But the problem with big steel cajones in the Antarctic is that they get stuck to everything.

Another good book that I can't resist mentioning (and which is an easier read than Endurance), is "The Long Walk: The true story of a trek to freedom." An amazing account of fortitude in the face of war, harsh elements, wicked men, and personal loss. And the impetus for the writer to seek out the story teller adds an unusual hook from the outset - he saw a yeti.

Does this story take place during the Eisenhower administration & does it involve the Chiquita banana company?
Regards, GF.

Response with a number of reading recommendations below.

No, " ...Hitman" takes place much later in the 1970s, but its on a common theme with...

"Bitter Fruit" (excellent, non-fiction) which documents the Eisenhower/United Fruit Company debacle in the 1950's. At the behest of the United Fruit Company (near industry monopoly predating Chiquita), the USA overthew Arbenz (one of the first democratically elected Presidents of Guatemala), installed their own hand picked puppet, and threw Guatemala into a brutal 30 year civil war. During that civil war, brutal attrocities on a large scale were carried out by the Kabil, a special forces group trained at the notorious School of the Americas (Google that too).

"PB SUCCESS documents/history". The name of the operation at the heart of the Bitter Fruit story, Google "operation PB SUCCESS" (launched by Eisenhower). The USA's program of mostly psychological warfare which resulted in the overthrow of Arbenz in 1954. Let freedom ring!

"Guatemala Truth Commission Reports". Also look up the Truth Commission reports conducted after the signing the peace accords (~1996). Warning, some of the verified accounts in this document may keep you awake at night. For example, graphic accounts of the Kabil massacring entire villages, men women and children, without using a single bullet..."wet work" which took many hours to complete. An effective terrorism campaign, putting those lessons learned at School of the Americas into practice, which brought the civil war to a grisly end.

"Silence on the Mountain". Another excellent book by journalist Daniel Wilkinson, probably the best written of the bunch, which picks up after the peace accords. He was the first to break the story of the attrocities of the civil war. This combined with Bitter Fruit give an excellent overview of this ugly chapter in history from the 1950's - 1990's.

A brutal example of why we should also have separation of Corporation and State. This all culminates in one of of Perkin's concerns expressed in "...Hitman" which is that the USA is fast becoming a "Corptocracy". To paraphrase the Constitution "...by the Corp, for the Corp". Recent deeply flawed decisions by the Supreme Corp are nudging us closer to this reality.

My political perspective aside, these are all excellent reading which document an ugly side of history we (collectively), nor our kids, learned in the carefully crafted propoganda delivered in school, but really should.

Another good book that I can't resist mentioning (and which is an easier read than Endurance), is "The Long Walk: The true story of a trek to freedom." An amazing account of fortitude in the face of war, harsh elements, wicked men, and personal loss. And the impetus for the writer to seek out the story teller adds an unusual hook from the outset - he saw a yeti.

haha. That's funny, I read that book, I don't remember the Yeti. I liked the description of the Russian gulag.

haha. That's funny, I read that book, I don't remember the Yeti. I liked the description of the Russian gulag.

The Yeti is a footnote to the story, really, but it was the bit that got a journalist into the main character's home. The introduction, where they explain this, the relationship between the two, and how the story got into print, is interesting in itself.

Latest posts

Back