What are you reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonk4

Reaction score
Right now I'm reading Chuck Klosterman's "I Wear The Black Hat". Its about villains in popular culture.

I'm not currently reading anything. I just finished up "The Ocean at the End of the Lane". Quite a good book. I'm going to start Game Of Thrones in the next couple of days I think.

Good luck with Game of Thrones. My friends really like the series and I'm no stranger with the fantasy genre, but nothing good happens to anyone! I've been meaning to give it another go, though.

I just finished reading Terry Pratchett's The Color of Magic which I really enjoyed, and am most likely going to start Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere next.

Got hooked on this two authors after reading Good Omens which they both co-authored.

I enjoyed Good Omens, too. It was a couple of years back, so I don't remember a whole lot but I remember liking it.

So far I do to granted I have only read the Color of Magic and Good Omens but I recently bought 3 more of the discworld books

I really liked some of the foot notes in Good Omens

Happy, Happy, Happy: My Life and Legacy as the Duck Commander by Phil Robertson

Trump University Commercial Real Estate 101: How Small Investors Can Get Started and Make It Big by David Lindahl

House of Cards: A Tale of Hubris and Wretched Excess on Wall Street by William D. Cohan

Yep - usually read more than one book at a time. Always have a few going.

I just started designing great beers, I have a vacation coming up next week and it should be a good beach read.

I'm not much of a pleasure reader. Last book I read was the hobbit, the movie was coming out and I was drinking my way through a case of hobgoblin, what can I say? I was inspired!

Finishing up Yeast right now, but my reading material these days consists of peer reviewed journals(and HBT of course). Though I fit in some Terry Brooks whenever he releases a new one.

Finishing up Yeast right now, but my reading material these days consists of peer reviewed journals(and HBT of course). Though I fit in some Terry Brooks whenever he releases a new one.

What kind of journals?

Jonk4: Mostly Acid coal mine drainage and bacterial/iron interactions. Though For the summer I'm looking at ammonia/ammonium in coastal waters of central California.

I just finished Joshua Bernstein's book Brewed Awakening. It's a quick read about different ingredients, brewers and styles. I liked it as a general overview about beer. I especially like the flavor profiles of the different malts and hops. Next I'm going to read The Twelve by Justin Cronin. It's a sequel to The Passage which I read a while back and really enjoyed. I would recommend it to anyone who wants something to read.

I'm halfway through the last book in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, A Memory of Light. This is book #14 of a series he started writing in 1990 I think, and he died prior to the last 2 being written. If you're a fantasy nut and have a lot of spare time give em a whirl.

Servlet & JSP programming, Effective Java & the ever classic Concrete Mathematics... yeah seriously. Everyone thinks I'm nuts but I really do enjoy technical books/pubs. One of the upsides of making something you love your profession I guess.

On a lighter note though I recently read My Life as A White Trash Zombie which was a fun read if you like the whole zombie genre. Hounded: The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book One is probably 30% done on the Kindle right now and though it took a little getting used to I am enjoying it too. If you are a fan of urban fantasy (Dresden Files for example) it's worth checking out.

Breakfast menus for restaurants that went out of business in the 80's.

Just finished 'Wonder Boys' by Michael Chabon, and before that his best-seller 'The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay'. What an amazing writer - great stories with a raw sense of humor. I've also been thumbing through 'For the Love of Hops' and just started 'True North' by Jim Harrison. Good stuff.

Cool thread - props to the OP.

Just finished 1Q84 and still looking for something new to start. I've read a few by Murakami now and 1Q84 was my favorite. Long, but kept me engrossed the whole time.

Flyboys by james Bradley. Completely different story from the stupid movie. Tells the story of the US attack on Chichi Jima in WWII which Pres. Bush Sr. was part of, as well as the capture and cannabalism of 9 aircrewmen who were shot down in the attack. Excellent book.

'Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption' by Laura Hillenbrand. Historical book about Louis Zamperini, a POW and Olympian. Read it a couple years ago. It was hard to put down.

'Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption' by Laura Hillenbrand. Historical book about Louis Zamperini, a POW and Olympian. Read it a couple years ago. It was hard to put down.

That was a great read.

Yeast and Designing Great Beers. Last week I ordered For the Love of Hops and Beer School: Bottling Success at the Brooklyn Brewery

Just finished 'Wonder Boys' by Michael Chabon, and before that his best-seller 'The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay'. What an amazing writer - great stories with a raw sense of humor. I've also been thumbing through 'For the Love of Hops' and just started 'True North' by Jim Harrison. Good stuff.

Cool thread - props to the OP.

Chabon is great. I really like his nonfiction stuff too, like Maps and Legends

I picked up A Moveable Feast By Hemmingway while I was brewing this weekend. Once I finish that I'm going to start A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. Yeah, they're for kids but I've heard that they are a fun read.

Into the Storm: Destroyermen Book 1
Rural Ranger; A Suburban/Urban Manual Field Guide of Traps and Snares for Food and Survival

I got sidetracked and started The Giver by Lois Lowery last night. I'm halfway through it and it is really compelling.

On a lighter note though I recently read My Life as A White Trash Zombie which was a fun read if you like the whole zombie genre. Hounded: The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book One is probably 30% done on the Kindle right now and though it took a little getting used to I am enjoying it too. If you are a fan of urban fantasy (Dresden Files for example) it's worth checking out.

I just finished the sixth book in the Iron Druid series. It's great. I love Oberon the talking dog.

I'm reading the Emperor of Thorns by Mark Lawrence. It may very well be my favorite trilogy of all time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Half way through Stephen Hawking's A Briefer History of Time.

Ha, me too. Reading while I wait for Beer Companion and New World Guide to Beer in the mail.

Yeast and Designing Great Beers. Last week I ordered For the Love of Hops and Beer School: Bottling Success at the Brooklyn Brewery

Yeast is great. I was expecting to like Designing Great Beers more than I did.

Back