What are you listening to (music!!!) right now? Embarrassing or not... share

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This isn’t what I’m listening to now; it’s what I was listening to then.

33DCDFF1-6312-439F-8DD4-209019743616.jpeg

Notice that this is a local (LA area) radio station’s list, not a national one. But, this is very representative of what folks were listening to at the time.

I was a HS junior at this time, and I remember every song on the list, still have a bunch of them on vinyl, and know the words to more of them than I care to admit. Also notice that there is every genre of music except classical and, maybe, Lithuanian folk music, on this list. Listening to the radio was a lot more fun when you couldn’t look at the time and think “Oh. It’s 3:15. They’re gonna play ‘Don’t Stop Believin’ in 3 minutes”. :cool:

A lot of great songs being mentioned. From above, whether you call it Motown, soul, or R&B, those songs from the 70s hold a special place in my heart. The Spinners, The Stylistics, Marvin Gaye, The Temptations, etc. all fantastic.
Heading out to a few wineries now but I'll post some of my favorites later. In the mean time rock on!!

OK. Forum posters have asked me to do additional postings.

Here goes. I'm currently listening to the Yardbirds song "Over Under Sideways Down" from June of 1966.

This a rock band formed in Surrey, England during the early-1960’s. The “Yardbirds”.

The Yardbirds began as the “Metropolitan Blues Quartet” while at Kingston Art School.

The Yardbirds where only the US Pop Charts from May 1965 until May 1968. 3 short years, but the group is considered as a one of the legendary rock bands. The group had 9 songs in the top 100 of the charts with 2 of the songs in the 10 ten of the charts.

The Yardbirds disbanded in 1968. Soon after the group the “New Yardbirds” were created. The “New Yardbirds” became the group Led Zeppelin.

"Over Under Sideways Down" reached number 13 on the US Pop Charts.

And now "An American Dream" by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

A folk-country-rock group from Long Beach California. The “Nitty Gritty Dirt Band” popped onto the charts in November 1970 with their hit “Mr. Bojangles”.

For a while the group changed their name to simply “The Dirt Band”. Wasn’t too long before returning to their original name. By the early 1980s the “Nitty Gritty Dirt Band” were history.

"An American Dream" is from December of 1979. The harmonizing female singer is Linda Ronstadt.

Here goes. I'm currently listening to the Yardbirds song "Over Under Sideways Down" from June of 1966.

This a rock band formed in Surrey, England during the early-1960’s. The “Yardbirds”.

The Yardbirds began as the “Metropolitan Blues Quartet” while at Kingston Art School.

The Yardbirds where only the US Pop Charts from May 1965 until May 1968. 3 short years, but the group is considered as a one of the legendary rock bands. The group had 9 songs in the top 100 of the charts with 2 of the songs in the 10 ten of the charts.

The Yardbirds disbanded in 1968. Soon after the group the “New Yardbirds” were created. The “New Yardbirds” became the group Led Zeppelin.

Legendary band.

The Yardbirds, (mostly in name only) still occasionally tour, with drummer Jim McCarty as the only original member. A friend of ours, Godfrey Townsend, is the current lead guitarist. He's played, toured, and recorded with several rock legends. Check out samples from his instrumental cd where you'll hear clear influences from Clapton, Beck, Gilmour, etc. here.

I know it's Friday night in the good ole USA, but I do hope I haven't put everyone to sleep.

How listening to The Guess Who "Shakin' All Over".

A rock band formed in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada joins us. The Guess Who.

They initially calling themselves Chad Allan And The Expressions. In 1965, to give an impression they were British, remember 1965 was during the British Invasion, their label printed “Guess Who” on their first album cover. The group actually liked the “Guess Who” name and kept it for their group name.

The Guess Who were Canada’s most popular rock band of the 1960’s and early 1970’s.

The Guess Who were so popular and loved by Tricia Nixon, US President Richard Nixon’s daughter, that in July 1971 The Guess Who performed at the White House in Washington, DC. Of course, The Guess Who’s song “American Woman” was very popular, but the group were asked to not sing the song during the performance as “American Woman” is an anti US song. Instead of singing “American Woman” the Guess Who sang “Hand Me Down World”.

The Guess Who were on the US Pop Charts from May 1965 until November 1975. They had 4 songs in the top 10 of the charts with 1 of those songs at number 1. Today’s song reached number 22 on the charts and it was their initial chart entry.

“Shakin’ All Over” from May of 1965 by The Guess Who.

The guy Jimmy Page in that group was pretty good.

Legendary band.

The Yardbirds, (mostly in name only) still occasionally tour, with drummer Jim McCarty as the only original member. A friend of ours, Godfrey Townsend, is the current lead guitarist. He's played, toured, and recorded with several rock legends. Check out samples from his instrumental cd where you'll hear clear influences from Clapton, Beck, Gilmour, etc. here.

I think it's a shame and rip off where "groups" perform without any real members of the band. D*mn, the 4 Top and the Temptations haven't aged at all (they've actually gotten younger over the years.). Someone in the original group swept the floor when they were done performing Now, hey, they tour as "The 4 Tops" or "The Temptations". Total rip off.

Ah, "Sugar Shack" by Jimmy Gilmer & The Fireballs. My first favorite song many, many, many, many, many (stop it!) years ago.

A country singer and guitarist born April 3, 1942 in Valdosta, Georgia. Billy Joe Royal.

Billy actually grew up in Marietta, Georgia as his family moved there when he was young. At age 11 Billy performed on his Uncle’s radio show. At age 14 he learned to play the steel guitar and performed with the Georgia Jubilee in Atlanta. While in high school Billy formed his first band “Billy Joe & The Corvettes”.

Billy Joe Royal was on the US Pop Charts from July 1965 until June 1978. He had 1 song in the top 10 of the charts. It was his initial chart entry and probably his most widely known song “Down In The Boondocks”.

By the late 1970’s his popularity faded. In 1985 Billy Joe Royal rejuvenated his career by switching totally to being a country performer.

The song reached number 14 on the US Pop Charts. Linda Ronstadt did her version in December 1982 (reaching 37 on the charts).

“I Knew You When” from September of 1965 by Billy Joe Royal.

I’m listening to Imagine Dragons.

I come home tonight and my wife is burning incense and our new neighbor is retaliating by blasting music out her window.

I walk in my house and my wife is singing and dancing to the neighbor’s music. She loves Imagine Dragons.

Neighbor needs to bring better game.

EDIT: They turned it down when they saw her twerking to Eminem’s Lose Yourself.

Last edited:
Back