What are you guys using for volume measurement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tylerinthetub

Reaction score
Hey guys, working on my automated build. Using an old Allen Bradley SLC5/02 I scored off ebay. Most of the way through the shopping phase and into some assembly.
IMG_6189.JPG

Anyway, I'm wondering how many of you guys have automated water volume measurement, and how are you doing it? I've got a few options I've been mulling over.

The first is a bathroom scale/op amp combo that will put out a 0-10v ish signal. Would use the boil kettle as the measurement vessel and pump the strike and sparge water out as needed while the PLC measures the weight being transferred in or out of the kettle. This would also require some work on my stand, since the kettle would have to be able to slide, with the burner underneath in between, on the scale. Do-able, but i'm not sure about accuracy.

Second option is I have an older model industrial flow transmitter that uses a mag tube, I could hook this up and program it as a flow totalizer. I was planning on using my boil kettle to preheat the water before transferring because that is heated with gas, but with this method it will just add too many valves, so I'd have to settle for a slower preheat with electric.

Option 3 and the option I'll probably start with is to fill it up by hand and force the bits in that section of logic until i add it.

So how are you guys doing it? Other creative solutions welcome.

Edit: No idea why the picture is upside down but whatever.

Don't forget ultrasound and radar.

Well the options i listed are the ones i have available to me right now for very little money right now, I have worked with radar but only on much larger vessels and am not sure about accuracy vs price on a small build like this.

I have access to pressure transmuters sensitive enough to work with this application, but again looking for solutions people have implemented and have working to get some feed back.

I use a 0-30" differential pressure transmitter and it is very accurate. Was able to pick 2 Rosemont up off eBay for $50. Something similar to this.. hash=item2800c9cbab:g:GgcAAOSwBLlVbK49[/URL]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rosemount-3A22-Alphaline-Pressure-Transmitter-0-30-Range-4-20-MA-Output-45VDC-/171811916715?hash=item2800c9cbab:g:GgcAAOSwBLlVbK49

Back