What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Scotch nightcap.
IMG_20220807_230756690.jpg

This one I added crystallized lime when I packaged. I had no room in the fridge so I primed the keg w a sugar and the crystal lime. I like the result. Last year I made a very similar recipe but I added the lime zest at flame out. I liked both but the first brew w the zest seemed to loss it’s lime flavor while this one is hanging on.
Lime zest is infuriating! I goofed around with it quite a bit in the late-90's and could never get it to work on the hot side. Reasonable quantities just fade out and larger quantities wind up tasting like that bag that you find in the back of your fridge when you're looking for that jar of, "I know I bought that last year, where the hell is it?" You can't determine which leftover bit of vegetable it used to be because it's now brown and slushy and it smells like too much lime zest added on the hot side.

With such a strong and unique flavor, you'd think lime would be one of the most trouble free and reliable flavors to add to beer. And I guess it is, provided you pinch your lime fresh into the glass.

Lime: A great friend to beer drinkers, mortal enemy of brewers.

Fizzy yellow liquid, waiting for this heat to break ... :confused:
You and me both! I'm soooo ready to brew tasty brown things, but the weather is still a month out from that. Right now, I am to brown porter as a fifteen year old is to boobies. My thoughts about ordinary bitter violate the forum rules.

Until then, a bit of Panther Piss Super Dry while I do the final math on the follow up keg of Panther Piss Super Dry.

5BF31B66-3E60-423B-9F26-C080B0BB977B.jpeg

Lime zest is infuriating! I goofed around with it quite a bit in the late-90's and could never get it to work on the hot side. Reasonable quantities just fade out and larger quantities wind up tasting like that bag that you find in the back of your fridge when you're looking for that jar of, "I know I bought that last year, where the hell is it?" You can't determine which leftover bit of vegetable it used to be because it's now brown and slushy and it smells like too much lime zest added on the hot side.

With such a strong and unique flavor, you'd think lime would be one of the most trouble free and reliable flavors to add to beer. And I guess it is, provided you pinch your lime fresh into the glass.

Lime: A great friend to beer drinkers, mortal enemy of brewers.
Agreed there. I so far am enjoying the crystallized lime but it’s only been about 5 weeks and it sorta feels like I cheated. I played fast and loose with the priming/lime solution too. Half kegged and half bottled and I haven’t tested a bottle yet. I’d love to unlock that fresh squeezed lime flavor but I think it’ll be outta my grasp.

Bad news... COVID+ (is that picture a HIPAA violation? 🤔).
View attachment 777304

Good news... mild symptoms; I can taste and smell beer!
OT HB wheat sour
View attachment 777305
Hope that all it does. Know of around 20 folks who caught this lastest batch all came out with flying colors.

Guzzling a HB Kombucha, Basil, pineapple, ginger.

Attachments

• 16600927414962391921155882391156.jpg
    16600927414962391921155882391156.jpg
    669.1 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back