What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
standing still would be nice. I'm guessing it's a great looking dog.
Now, this is not a joke, we had a dog who'd run around and around the garage so much he made a high-banked track in the lawn that you could see from the satellite photo.
Those were the days....
She wasn’t supposed to be in the picture, she was laying down chewing a bone and yep our back yard has tracks everywhere. She’s a ball of energy always chasing a ball. She’s anxious for the pool to be open, labs?

Bigfoot. Awful! Perhaps Sierra should have named this Bigtaint instead.

20220226_205614.jpg

Edit: First time trying this.. I REALLY wanted to like it. I really did. Truth is, I don't. I don't like this one bit. The reason I don't is that it is SO alcohol-forward that that is all that you taste. No complexity like you'd find with a Belgian Quad or Doppelbock. The experience of drinking this is not too dissimilar to what you would have drinking MD 20/20. Disappointing. I'd much rather drink whiskey. Wormwood, black pepper and not much else here. In addition, this is WAYYYY too hop-bitter for the ABV, and that is what ruins this for me. It makes the raw ethanol bite punch you straight in the face. Unpleasant. This tastes like when you accidentally get some deep woods off in your mouth while treating your face. Think what Jeppson's Malort would be like if it were an ale. I hate this. I want my $6 back!

1645933185548.png

I'll just let Unpopular Opinion Puffin speak some "trufe"

1645933916449.png

Last edited:
There's no way those onion rings aren't/weren't awesome. if you made them, could you be so kind as to post your batter recipe on the "What did I cook this Weekend" thread? I got a decent batter but it pales to what I just saw.
@Section1 posts really, really nice tacos regular enough that I know his/her name on sight and what to expect.
I love it.
Sorry, but those onion rings were out of a box. My son bought some leftover boxes of oysters and onion rings from his FFA chapter.
Edit: they were really good though. And for anyone who cares, Dunkel pairs with bull fries way better than brown ale.;)

No worries, funny that "packaged" never occurred to me.
I will say this for the frozen food places--
She wasn’t supposed to be in the picture, she was laying down chewing a bone and yep our back yard has tracks everywhere. She’s a ball of energy always chasing a ball. She’s anxious for the pool to be open, labs?
No labs but they've been in our lives forever because of relatives, now you mention it. They're just a treat to have around. Super sweet dogs they are, all around incredible.
We happened to nab a stray, 25 pounds of condensed energy, on a New Year's Eve, 3am in the morning, in blizzard of a snow storm some time back. Had he not come when I called him from across the fence where he was standing in the neighbor's yard, we wouldn't have owned a dog. Smart dog.

Did you ever brew the Scottish Ale? My dad's still fighting cancer in the Sierra's. If he ever makes it down to SLO, will fly out and will check out that new brewery for sure...🤞. Thanks for posting!
Not yet, I need to free up a keg first. But I did spec out a recipe in Beersmith, using yours as inspiration. I'll shoot for a slightly less abv than yours, around 7%

Earlier today I drove up to Atascadero to Wildfields Brewhouse to drop off a couple HB's. First time there and first time trying one of their beers. Yours was way better, seriously.
They have a HB contest, judging is on March 1st. The two top brewers will get to brew their beer on WF's system. There seems to be a lot of really good homebrewers around here so I'm sure I don't stand much of a chance, but hopefully I'll get some good feedback.

OK, I admit I bought this beer mostly because of the label, but also because I’ve had a couple of this guy’s other beers (it is a one man brewery) and thought they were pretty good. The owner/brewer raises Vizlas and all of his beers have some breed of dog in the name.

I don’t consider myself an accomplished practioner of the lupulin arts (which is to say I don’t brew a lot of hoppy beers) but I think I could brew a better IPA by accident. This is bitter but with no recognizable hop flavor and with a weird, sweet finish. But, it does have a clever label.
Edit-forgot 2nd pic.
View attachment 760903

View attachment 760905
Any idea on the brew date? That can break a great IPA without remorse

C8A79EA7-9E15-4F74-BB23-6460CF4B6D4E.jpeg

Any idea on the brew date? That can break a great IPA without remorse

View attachment 760934
Yeah, I thought of that. There was no date on the can. The best way I can describe the taste would be like drinking a straight up WCIPA, something like SN Torpedo, while sucking on a sugar cube.

Sorry, but those onion rings were out of a box. My son bought some leftover boxes of oysters and onion rings from his FFA chapter.
Edit: they were really good though. And for anyone who cares, Dunkel pairs with bull fries way better than brown ale.;)
Nick, this is the notice printed on the side of the menu at a little place called the Edgar Bar in the little wide spot in the road that is Edgar, Montana, about 30 miles south of Billings. They also have bull fries on the menu. It’s a great restaurant.
7819B416-4944-4A95-9660-969E2C218F25.jpeg

Nick, this is the notice printed on the side of the menu at a little place called the Edgar Bar in the little wide spot in the road that is Edgar, Montana, about 30 miles south of Billings. They also have bull fries on the menu. It’s a great restaurant.
View attachment 760937
Quite a few years ago, we had a drunken local ride his horse inside our local bar on New Year’s Eve night. Gotta love little towns!!

Bull fries? They seem to be a thing.
A Western delicacy. Rocky Mountain Oysters (aka: bull fries, prairie oysters, Montana tendergroins, cowboy caviar, huevos de toro, or swinging beef). You’ll often hear people say they’re going to a “nut fry” when a local organization is serving them for a fundraiser.

Last edited:
The more I sample this Imperial Cream Ale the more I like it. Kudos to Northern Brewer! (This is their Empire Builder ICA all grain kit). This is the kind of brew where you have 3 or 4 then the next day you are like "Holy crap, I banged my buddy's cousin last night!" and he ain't even mad at you.
20220227_012018.jpg

Damn, that’s pricey but, it is good. Was in Iowa over Christmas and had TG a lot. Hitting them up again in August.
Overall, TG is very expensive. Their dry hopped Pseudo Sue is $20 for a 4-pack. They put out really great stuff, and clearly are selling.

Not yet, I need to free up a keg first. But I did spec out a recipe in Beersmith, using yours as inspiration. I'll shoot for a slightly less abv than yours, around 7%

Earlier today I drove up to Atascadero to Wildfields Brewhouse to drop off a couple HB's. First time there and first time trying one of their beers. Yours was way better, seriously.
They have a HB contest, judging is on March 1st. The two top brewers will get to brew their beer on WF's system. There seems to be a lot of really good homebrewers around here so I'm sure I don't stand much of a chance, but hopefully I'll get some good feedback.

Thanks for that! The Scottish Ale was a 1 hit wonder for sure. The important part is your participating and will get some feedback. Have you had FsW 2022 Parabola yet? Hasn't made it to Austin yet.

OT...my electrolyte and vitamin B concoction. Picture doesn't do it justice. It looks florescent green, hazy, of course. 😉

16459890404542790058853020481604.jpg

Back