What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying a sample of my Märzen, and wow!! 😀 One of the nicest brews I've ever made. 1.052 - 1.004 in 5 days (oops!), and I'm going to leave it for another week or so. Beer was blooping every few seconds at 6:30 this morning, hovering at 28ºC / 82F (!) still with 1" of thick krausen. Got home at 19:30 tonight, the krausen is gone, and it's only percolating every 40 seconds. Incredible yeast this Krispy! I will brew with it again, and I cannot wait to carb this one up. I'm sure it isn't going to last very long! 🤣

View attachment 746517
2 week old Marzen fermented at 82° ?? I can't even fathom that 😳

16349535921955434813769147397706.jpg
captain and Coke

👹 👹 👹😵😵😵. Last time I partied with the Captain I damned near got busted from Sgt to private. Got chased by the Schweinfurt Germany Gestapo, got in a fight with the post gate guard, told a SSGT to stick his head where the sun don't shine and got into fisticuffs with a German tree...not my proudest moment in uniform. Never touched the stuff again. I won't even go into the international incident in Mexico courtesy of Mezcal tequila....

2 week old Marzen fermented at 82° ?? I can't even fathom that 😳

You know what, @seanjwalker1 if one was a true German beer purist, one would probably not be able to call my brew a 'true German Märzen lager'. This is the best part of the Skare strain of kveik in the Escarpment Labs 'Krispy'. Very high flocculation, very high fermentation temps with the clean finish of a cold-style lager in a fraction of the time. Once I get some bubbles, I'll buy a Hacker-Schorr Märzen for comparison.

This morning, the temp of my wort was dead-on at 26ºC / 78F with the bubbler showing life every minute, no heat belt or covering. Got home tonight, it's at 24ºC / 75F with a bloop maybe every 2 mins. Trying another sample now, and it has such a beautiful malty flavour with an extra clean, crisp (Krispy) finish. Cannot wait to carb for Halloween! :cool: :mug:

You know what, @seanjwalker1 if one was a true German beer purist, one would probably not be able to call my brew a 'true German Märzen lager'. This is the best part of the Skare strain of kveik in the Escarpment Labs 'Krispy'. Very high flocculation, very high fermentation temps with the clean finish of a cold-style lager in a fraction of the time.

This morning, the temp of my wort was dead-on at 26ºC / 78F with the bubbler showing life every minute, no heat belt or covering. Got home tonight, it's at 24ºC / 75F with a bloop maybe every 2 mins. Trying another sample now, and it has such a beautiful malty flavour with an extra clean, crisp (Krispy) finish. Cannot wait to carb for Halloween! :cool: :mug:
IM not knocking it! I'm actually very interested in trying it. It's just hard for an old brewing dog like me to get my head around the idea that a yeast like KVIEK could make a warm fermented beer taste like a lager! The time and kegerator space that could be saved!! Remarkable!

👹 👹 👹😵😵😵. Last time I partied with the Captain I damned near got busted from Sgt to private. Got chased by the Schweinfurt Germany Gestapo, got in a fight with the post gate guard, told a SSGT to stick his head where the sun don't shine and got into fisticuffs with a German tree...not my proudest moment in uniform. Never touched the stuff again. I won't even go into the international incident in Mexico courtesy of Mezcal tequila....
That damn tree had it comin 😉

So an hour or so ago I posted a picture of the last pint of a delicious ale from a keg that just kicked. .
Instead of doing the smart thing and calling it a night, I decided to have a nightcap. I pulled the first pint of a keg that had been conditioning in the fridge. Acetobacter up the kazoo! A true dumper! Immediately I was pissed; but now, not so much. It's just water, I mean beer, under the bridge.

In thirty years of this hobby; this was about the fifth batch I dumped. Thinking about the paucity of dumpers in my long career made me smile for a few reasons :

1. I'm obviously a master brewer.
2. Obviously my process is close to flawless.

OR MAYBE

3. Apparently I like shitty beer.
4. Apparently my palate sucks.

Whatever, I'll be cleaning those kegs tomorrow and refilling them with the nectar of the gods.

Sipping on some homebrew. Hopfenweizen that slightly misses the mark. I tried to get more advanced than I probably needed to with the mash procedure and over acidified the mash a touch. I also opted for a big whirlpool addition instead of dry hopping which put a little too much bitterness into the beer. It's certainly drinkable. There are things to like and things to fix about this beer. I will have no problem polishing off the keg but it isn't good enough that if I had ordered it somewhere I would have paid for another pint. I feel like I know what I did wrong, I can easily fix it for next time and it will be a great beer the next time.

View attachment 746632
I'm honored! Here's a honey wheat I brewed recently. I've been getting some good head lately 😂

dude, i am so sick of you showing me how it's done....i had to get my sexy pilsner glass out, and do a quadruple pour, that took f'n 5 minutes to get the protein hard enough for this one! lol

1635007275513.png

what do you think? am i improving? ;) :mug:

HB Blackcurrant IPA. Maris Otter and a bit of Carapils for malt. Hopped with Bramling Cross for 78 IBU. For yeast I used the yeast cake of a Dark Mild made with Wyeast London ESB. 9 days sitting on thawed flash frozen blackcurrants mashed with a potato masher.
Tastes tart, bitter, and good. It reminds me a bit of Lambrusco.

I ended-up with 7.6% ABV, so one could call it a light DIPA with a full days supply of vitamin C!

IMG_7157.JPG

Back