What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old Rasputin clonish action. Nice Deschutes NEIPA...not over the top.
aviary-image-1535754766134.jpeg

HB 6.5% Wheat but tastes more like a pale (too much hops)
It is darker than what the picture suggests
Grain: 64% 2row, 25% white wheat malt, 5% flaked wheat, 5% honey malt
1 gallon batch
Hops: 2g Simcoe at 60, 2g Simcoe at 30, and 15g Mosaic at flameout
Simcoe 13.3% and Mosaic 12%
Yeast S-05 (didn't want banana/clove so I went neutral yeast)

My thoughts are
a) Grain bill needs adjusting
b) AA levels were too high on the hops and used too much hops

It is a great light pale ale
View attachment 586037
Not sure about the hops because those are such small amounts but I use more of a 50-50 split between the two row in the white wheat and maybe mash in a little warmer @ 154-156. Does seem a little dark but I'm guessing that was the honey malt. Maybe get rid of the honey mall and replace it with some Munich or Vienna or possibly aromatic to give it a little more body. Or maybe even some oats... looks like a nice beer in the pic though

Not sure about the hops because those are such small amounts but I use more of a 50-50 split between the two row in the white wheat and maybe mash in a little warmer @ 154-156. Does seem a little dark but I'm guessing that was the honey malt. Maybe get rid of the honey mall and replace it with some Munich or Vienna or possibly aromatic to give it a little more body. Or maybe even some oats... looks like a nice beer in the pic though

Mashed at 149f and let drop to 140f over 30 mins, and then I brought it to 160f and let it drop to 144f after another 30mins. So I think I got the range out of it I wanted, and I wanted to run it lower for the first 30. I think, as you noted, my ratios were off. It's a good pale ale; it's not a wheat.

HHB sure does make some good NEIPAs!!!!

View attachment 586104

@jimyson have you ever harvested any of their yeast?

I’m going to harvest from Keybump with the assumption of high ABV tolerably. I’m just curious if they use a single house strain or multiple? The cans have a whole bunch of jive on the side and I’m way too old to understand that lingo [emoji12]

HHB sure does make some good NEIPAs!!!!

View attachment 586104

@jimyson have you ever harvested any of their yeast?

I’m going to harvest from Keybump with the assumption of high ABV tolerably. I’m just curious if they use a single house strain or multiple? The cans have a whole bunch of jive on the side and I’m way too old to understand that lingo [emoji12]

Their write ups are on point. I’ve not nabbed any yeast. Let me know how that works out for you. I haven’t the slightest idea if they use more than 1 strain. I would bet it’s a single.

I may as well crack one with you.

IMG_0001.JPG

Next release:

IMG_1407.JPG

Back