What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hb neipa, citra and nectaron. That bottle in the background is for tomorrow... hb club jack barrel, kegging the RIS that's been in the barrel for 6 months and once it's empty we're filling with a Scottish wee heavy. Gonna be a fun day.
20240322_175027.jpg

Very tasty Münchner Lager.
View attachment 844741
I lived on that stuff when I was back home in Oregon for The Great Disembowelment. Thanks to you guys, I learned that German beer isn't skunky, stale, nasty swill when canned and I noticed that I could get that stuff for about 2/3rds the price of the very trendy, but horribly rushed, local rubbish. That's a fantastic beer! It really opened my eyes and inspired this pigswill that I'm sipping...
4D6E0A45-DD0D-4AE8-9E12-46E179D5ED27.jpeg

As you can see, I missed the mark, but that was (mostly) by design. Since this would be served in late-winter/early-spring, I went 20% Munich and 4oz of Melanoidin because I wanted to make certain that I didn't miss the bready thing. I think 10% Munich and 2oz of Melanoidin, if any, should hit the mark with hand grenade accuracy (good enough for me).

I'm in good spirits tonight. In anticipation of better weather to come, I brewed my first batch of Panther Piss since getting home and I enjoyed some UK IPA while cleaning up. Here's a pint in my kettle while it's waiting for the PBW to be pumped in from the MLT. Looks like it's due for another round of beer stone removal, nuts. Cameras are cruel.
D2DB0BA0-1643-410D-A9D6-E2C549C725BC.jpeg

The 15 year runs around $120, the 12 is about half that. I've only had the 15 in a whiskey bar, and it's very smooth. The 12 stands up well and is a good value.

Green Spot is another Irish whiskey worth seeking out.

I need a line on where you're getting for those $. :)

IMG_4348.jpeg
IMG_4349.jpeg
Last night the 5 Year Anniversary Stout from Vitamin Sea while working with our college intern till 1:30am. Thanks @TheDudeLebowski it was delicious.
Tonight the cognac barrel stout from OH. If my notes are correct I’ve had this bottle in the cellar for three years. The barrel character is still powerful, in a good way to me.
Today was my best friend’s memorial service. It was an exhausting day mentally. On the way home my wife recommended I pull a cellar beer in memory of Mike, so this seemed fitting.

Cue the idiot 25 year old me learning that you can actually buy Absinthe on the internet....

Awwwww, #(%*%*!

It's always the shipping ;)

It was banned in the US until the 2000s, but now you can find it in some liquor stores, though you probably already know that. :)

St. George Verte is a nice, US-made absinthe that is well worth finding. I like Mansinthe, but I think it's out of production now. Kubler makes a nice blanc absinthe. Lucid is just so-so.

Avoid the faux absinthes, often made in Eastern Europe. Basically, neutral spirits infused with botanicals with food coloring added.

Loves me some 'sinthe. Even have a set of stemware and slotted spoons.

It was banned in the US until the 2000s, but now you can find it in some liquor stores, though you probably already know that. :)

St. George Verte is a nice, US-made absinthe that is well worth finding. I like Mansinthe, but I think it's out of production now. Kubler makes a nice blanc absinthe. Lucid is just so-so.

Avoid the faux absinthes, often made in Eastern Europe. Basically, neutral spirits infused with botanicals with food coloring added.

Whatever my son made, it was awesome!

PXL_20240120_220151181.jpg

Oh, I believe I've seen them on this forum, and drooled at them. Clever bits of kit, sir! I'm envious.

I appreciate the advice, but honestly, like Scotch, the silly trade war that never should've been has sapped all my interest in spirits. I used to buy a single bottle of 15yr annually, then that went to a bottle of 12yr, when whisky became popular.

Now, I don't care--to my loss. I miss it, but I'm not paying those BS prices.

In the balance, I have about 200lbs of brewing malt on hand, two fermenters, and a dozen kegs, so the need for whisky isn't there anymore. Much to my sorrow! ;)

I miss the old days.

Last edited:
Oh, I believe I've seen them on this forum, and drooled at them. Clever bits of kit, sir! I'm envious.

I even have one of those fountains for slowly dripping ice water over the sugar cube into the glass of absinthe. Got it free (along with 4 stem glasses and spoons) from a liquor store manager who was about to toss it. His store had received it as a promo from Lucid.

20240322_223744.jpg

I even have one of those fountains for slowly dripping ice water over the sugar cube into the glass of absinthe. Got it free (along with 4 stem glasses and spoons) from a liquor store manager who was about to toss it. His store had received it as a promo from Lucid.

View attachment 844782
We really need a "pulls underwear up to his chin and chews on it" emote on this forum.

View attachment 844782
IMG_3355.jpeg

Back