What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One more
PXL_20231210_022508746.jpg

Kids still go to Malls??? ☺️
Two daughters and a wife, yes we do. I’ll probably be back here tomorrow with my wife for her birthday and mine.
Yes December is an expensive month in our house. Three birthdays in 48 hours and Christmas.

Two daughters and a wife, yes we do. I’ll probably be back here tomorrow with my wife for her birthday and mine.
Yes December is an expensive month in our house. Three birthdays in 48 hours and Christmas.

My condolences/congratulations! 😆
I teach college kids & they seem to get my references less & less often. Guess they learned about malls from Stranger Things.

Thought I’d give you a sneak peek of my upcoming January 2024 IPA Extravaganza! I’m in the process of sourcing a bunch of IPAs - West Coast brewers mostly - but not necessarily WCIPA’s! There’s a lot of fuzzy murk here, and you know I prefer them clear…! Stay tuned, beginning in January!

IMG_6148.jpeg

Blustery day so had a productive day indoors. Made doggie treats with some spent grain from the Kolsch I brewed Friday. We don't have a dog, but I like to give them to neighbors and friends who do.

20231210_151047.jpg

Then baked a small boule of caraway pump rye in a Dutch oven. But I forgot to add the secret ingredient of molasses, so it didn't rise as much as I would've liked. Still tastes good, with decent crumb.

20231210_151909.jpg

Then, time for a couple brews. The last of the Guinness Extra in the fridge.

20231210_144357.jpg

And something more local-ish.

20231210_150440.jpg

Well I figured if I opened enough of these beer flaps, I’d finally hit a strong Weissbier or Hefeweizen. Gmoastier Wieninger Weisser Bock, produced by Privatbrauerei Wieninger GmbH & Co. AG is just that beer.

That sentence didn’t sound very promising did it? Well I have to say, I’m really hit and miss with a lot of Weissbier and Hefeweizens. Opening this can and pouring, I was excited. Really a strong Banana ester came on, smelled great! The Faustian bargain for me with Wheat beers is always that frequent and typical phenolic / clove yeast induced flavor which I do not enjoy. Eck. To be fair, I shall glug this entire glass and report shortly…….

Jeopardy music….

Well, Weisser Bock is a strong beer, I’m picking up warming notes from the 7.1% ABV. I believe this beer is an ale as most Weissbiers are – still that phenolic taste carries all through the 500 ml glass. Low flocculating yeast. Cup-o-mud.

I know a lot of you Beernicks really groove on that clove thing. To me, the phenolic character harkens back to a time when I was sorting out my water issues – my tap water had Chloramine is it which converted to a phenolic taste in many of my early beers. Yuck! Of course I drank it anyway, all 5 gallons. Hey, it’s homebrew (and I was cheap) ---- I’m not dumping 5 gallons of off-flavor beer for Gawd’s sake! Woof.

IMG_6149.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back