What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really well done SIPA. Mouthfeel is like a 8%er. Nice citrus/stonefruit presence. Only 4.5%

PXL_20230430_223245242.PORTRAIT.jpg

Multi tasking down in the office.

Should be drinking Pepto instead of Vitamin Sea Brewing watching the Bruins

Other monitor? Watching livestream of a project I worked on. Always something going on. Last one natives down in the Amazon made the payload retreat from launchpad due to protests. This one? New rocket and a lightning strike last week
IMG_20230430_194242.jpg

(Cream de) Lemoncello from earlier today.

There is some coagulation with the heavy whipping cream but it's not bothering me. Probably need to have the sugar content between 1/2 and 3/4 cups though. 1/2 is a bit too little. I think 1cup of the Everclear lemon mixture per750ml is too much also. I'll also use or make alkaline water for the next batch in attempt to smooth out the mouthfeel.

Have a plan for the next batch but I still have 4 of these left....

PXL_20230501_011414400.PORTRAIT.jpg

(Cream de) Lemoncello from earlier today.

There is some coagulation with the heavy whipping cream but it's not bothering me. Probably need to have the sugar content between 1/2 and 3/4 cups though. 1/2 is a bit too little. I think 1cup of the Everclear lemon mixture per750ml is too much also. I'll also use or make alkaline water for the next batch in attempt to smooth out the mouthfeel.

Have a plan for the next batch but I still have 4 of these left....

View attachment 818949
I think you may be running into what happens with egg nog. I'm sure if u Google egg nog curdle/clotting you'll find the scientific process going on. What you want to do is add your booze into the cream. Not your cream into the booze. It also happens when the abv is too high

Last edited:
I think you may be running into what happens with egg nog. I'm sure if u Google egg nog curdle you'll find the scientific process going on. What you want to do is add your booze into the cream. Not your cream into the booze. It also happens when the abv is too high
Thank you sir for a starting point to research!

Another...

PXL_20230501_024433216.PORTRAIT.jpg

Thank you sir for a starting point to research!

Another...

View attachment 818955
It's probably more visible in lemoncello but it took a while for it to settle the clotting in egg nog. There is an equation where it occurs. My best recipes that ive found, I usually up the booze by 50% and that's when I sometimes encountered clotting. It's more of a visible thing. It didn't effect the taste and a simple mixing smoothed it out. I have quarts of clumpy :) egg nog over 5 years old with raw milk and it keeps getting better with age. I have no fear as it has a lot of bourbon in it. Maybe push it to the max ratio and add a shot if you want to avoid the clotting and get a good whallop

Knowing I'm working on the backyard for the next couple weeks. Cut the WCIIPA short. Was planning on keg dry hopping but decided to use the hop oil. Zero diacetyl detected in the 7day fermentation using ALDC. Used 3ml of oil in a 2.5gal keg. Noticable aroma burst. Stronger taste profile, kinda knocks you back. But I like that. Definitely a WCIPA hop oil, more dank. We'll see how that holds over time. Got another 97ml so WCIPAs for a while it is! 😁

PXL_20230501_203820310.jpg

Lager brewed in early March; One of my lower ABV beers.
IMG_0108.JPG

10 gallon

10# Pilsner (Weyerman)
2# two row (crisp marris otter)
2# rye malt (Briess)
2# flaked corn (Briess)
1# oat malt (Canadian malting)

1 oz N Brewer, first wort
1 oz Tetttanger, 40 min boil
.4 oz Cascade, hop step at 160F, whole leaf, home grown, dried and frozen vac packed

SWIMBO's concerns addressed. Wood not exposed to fire, check. Fire not exposed to grandkids, check. No more fire blow outs underneath, check. Swapping out red fire glass for turquoise, check. Couple more bags of fire glass should do it. (I do like the blue better, but don't tell her! 😁)

This deserves a HB Dubbel
PXL_20230501_232754343.MP~2.jpg

Last edited:
This week’s smokestack comes in the form of a gargantuan and hefty West Coast IPA, Double Dales, by Oskar Blues Brewery. Tipping the scales at a massive 9.0% ABV in a Big-Boy 19.2 ounce can, that’s like drinking four regular beers. Bud Light drinkers exit the room, please!

Great tasting, easy drinking, Double Dale’s hides all this booze behind a great defensive line of hops – I could smell them 18” away from my pint glass. I’m really liking these big cans - I always enjoy a beer bigger that the glass I’m chugging from!

Whoa Nellie – hey what is this? The back end of that final remaining 3.2 ounce pour looks cloudy… Is this a “Can Conditioned” beer? Well, I am impressed! Double Dales has a “Pinkie finger” of head, medium to medium-low carbonation and decent lacing. Possibly some of those hop oils at play here. Great orangey color, this IPA is a crowd pleaser. Great thing is, if I want to zone out behind the bleachers for a couple hours, I only need to pack along two cans!

double dales.jpg

This week’s smokestack comes in the form of a gargantuan and hefty West Coast IPA, Double Dales, by Oskar Blues Brewery. Tipping the scales at a massive 9.0% ABV in a Big-Boy 19.2 ounce can, that’s like drinking four regular beers. Bud Light drinkers exit the room, please!

Great tasting, easy drinking, Double Dale’s hides all this booze behind a great defensive line of hops – I could smell them 18” away from my pint glass. I’m really liking these big cans - I always enjoy a beer bigger that the glass I’m chugging from!

Whoa Nellie – hey what is this? The back end of that final remaining 3.2 ounce pour looks cloudy… Is this a “Can Conditioned” beer? Well, I am impressed! Double Dales has a “Pinkie finger” of head, medium to medium-low carbonation and decent lacing. Possibly some of those hop oils at play here. Great orangey color, this IPA is a crowd pleaser. Great thing is, if I want to zone out behind the bleachers for a couple hours, I only need to pack along two cans!

View attachment 819020
You have good taste! 😉 Brewery is 20min away. Guess I should go there some day...

My original completion date of May 1st failed but we're getting there...

PXL_20230502_000441913~2.jpg

Back