What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@camonick ’s 90 Shillings Clone. Though I never had the real thing, I will say this is a terrific example of a Scottish ale. Great color, head retention, and celerity. Wonder toasted bread and a slight toffee/caramel notes. I really enjoyed this one! View attachment 701827
Thank you very much!!! I’ll join you.
HB 90 Shilling clone
Sláinte
CCBF6978-8A1C-48B9-9519-AE6F92B86CCA.jpeg

I kinda am lusting over that bottle opener. Where'd you get that, if you don't mind my asking?
It was a gift from @LoneTreeFarms when we did a beer trade a while back! It doubles as a weapon too b/c it’s solid! Haha It’s my favorite bottle opener and always get comments on it when people are over.

It doubles as a weapon too b/c it’s solid! Haha It’s my favorite bottle opener and always get comments on it when people are over.
It deserves all the compliments it gets.
Cheers.
@LoneTreeFarms if you're listening, you gave pshankstar a great bottle opener and I was wondering where you got it, if you don't mind?

That sounds fun. I need to read all the information in the Thread to see what to do.
It’s a great time and really simple. You need to offer 4 beers of hb. Ideal 4 different styles but some offer more and some offer less. From my experience 8 beers is usually peoples offer, if it’s not all home brew some will toss in a well known beer from their area. Some people throw in extra like stickers or glass but that’s not mandatory. No one stresses anything though and everyone enjoys trying each others beer and the comradery

Looks good! What was your mg and ca ppm. In my experience these are the two that tend to leave the mineral character

Brewed Sept. 26th. On reflection what I said was mineral taste was more likely hop burn.
Somewhat new to building water profile. But here's what I used on my previous neipa, starting with distilled water, and I was planning on using it again for this one.

Screenshot from 2020-10-09 17-36-23.png

Night before brew day I realized I didn't yet have my water. Went to the store and all they had was spring water, no distilled on he shelf. So I was forced to use no-name spring water, and I didn't add any minerals.

For this brew I went with:
Whirlpool 170°
- 2oz LupooMax Citra
- 2oz LupoMax Mosaic
- 2oz Strata
- 1oz El Dorado

Dry hop 3 days with same amounts of each. Due to my setup I'm unable to cold crash.

Kveik Voss yeast fermented at 88° when yeast pitched, Finished in 36 hours and ended at 82°
1.062 OG
1.013 FG

Brewed Sept. 26th. On reflection what I said was mineral taste was more likely hop burn.
Somewhat new to building water profile. But here's what I used on my previous neipa, starting with distilled water, and I was planning on using it again for this one.

View attachment 701848

Night before brew day I realized I didn't yet have my water. Went to the store and all they had was spring water, no distilled on he shelf. So I was forced to use no-name spring water, and I didn't add any minerals.

Whirlpool 170°
- 2oz LupooMax Citra
- 2oz LupoMax Mosaic
- 2oz Strata
- 1oz El Dorado

Dry hop 3 days with same amounts of each. Due to my setup I'm unable to cold crash.

Kveik Voss yeast fermented at 88° when yeast pitched, Finished in 36 hours and ended at 82°
1.062 OG
1.013 FG
Doesnt seem like water issue but hop burn is totally plausible. Especially if you dryhop at Warner temps. For me, in heavily dryhopped beers, the only way to eliminate hopburn is if I drop yeast out of suspension with a soft crash and then dryhop at around 58-60

Doesnt seem like water issue but hop burn is totally plausible. Especially if you dryhop at Warner temps. For me, in heavily dryhopped beers, the only way to eliminate hopburn is if I drop yeast out of suspension with a soft crash and then dryhop at around 58-60
Thanks @Dgallo I always appreciate your knowledge and insight. Yeah, I was forced to dry hop at around 75°. I'd like to be able to soft crash cooler but my Speidel fermenter won't fit in my full size garage fridge with the no-oxygen transfer kit attached. Maybe when the weather cools (November - March) I can crash on my back patio as temps generally fall into the 40's overnight.

This is similar to my setup....

View attachment 701848

Whirlpool 170°
- 2oz LupooMax Citra
- 2oz LupoMax Mosaic
- 2oz Strata
- 1oz El Dorado

1.062 OG
1.013 FG
You sure it wasn't cat food or some such again??? 😳...😳😳

Back