What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Collective Arts Extra Pale Ale: very refreshing and quite hoppy but a very different hops being used, can't put my finger on it but it's not like any other Pale I've tried.

Edit: okay evidently 4 different types. Citra, Chinook, Centennial and Simcoe
rhyme_and_reason.jpg

Also: My own brown ale from a 1 gallon kit from Toronto Brewing Co. Not too shabby, my 3rd batch ever, turned out better than expected! :rockin:

Mark, here's what they do to non-Two Roads growlers.

View attachment 158537

Very cute. Think I understand why some places would be picky about "not theirs" growlers, but it's still kind of silly. Not sure what I would decide if I open my own shop.

Stir plates are not necessary to make a starter, they just make the process easier and better. I have used the "pick up and swirl as often as possible" many times, you just don't get as much oxygen in the starter and don't get as much cell growth as you would if using a stir plate.

You don't have to have a stir plate to do a starter. If you are around you can just give the flask/jug/jar a swirl every 15-30 minutes. You won't get as many yeasties that way, but it will still be better then pitching just the smack pack.

Stir plates not really required. I dont have one and get great starters

No it holds heat longer I don't have all the bells and whistles so I have to do a BIAB!

It's not necessary to have a stir plate to make yeast starters. But it does make a big difference. Keeping the yeast in suspension and allowing the whirlpool to pull oxygen into the solution builds up a bigger starter in less time is all. But a simple starter can be made in any sterile vessel, with a starter wort of 1.030 or so. Just shaking it every so often for a day or two will build up a nice culture, refrigerate, decant, warm to room temp, then pitch.

Edit:

Yeahthat

Geeeeez! Did you get that Hello???? Lol

I don't get it. :confused:

Today I'd like to tell my neighbor to choose another day to mow her lawn/leaves so I can attend my webinar in peace.

My racking to secondary didn't go well. Not to mention I probably infected the ****ing stuck stout and I'd like to kick the kid at the LHBS who said I could easily jam a hop bag with 12oz of coconut into a carboy. He is wrong. Coconut all over the GD floor and I ended up dunking a grain bag and putting it all in there. I try very hard to be very specific with these guys about my FV and how I do things (such as bottling) but I feel like they just assume I use buckets and keg.

Today I'd like to tell my neighbor to choose another day to mow her lawn/leaves so I can attend my webinar in peace.

My racking to secondary didn't go well. Not to mention I probably infected the ****ing stuck stout and I'd like to kick the kid at the LHBS who said I could easily jam a hop bag with 12oz of coconut into a carboy. He is wrong. Coconut all over the GD floor and I ended up dunking a grain bag and putting it all in there. I try very hard to be very specific with these guys about my FV and how I do things (such as bottling) but I feel like they just assume I use buckets and keg.

When in doubt, turn to HBT.

I've gotten good and bad advice from LHBS folks. I've also gotten good and bad advice from people on HBT (mostly good). The difference is, if someone offers bad advice here, there are usually 5 people who will jump in and tell them they are an idiot.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm sure your beer is probably fine. It sounds like that stuck stout has been through a lot already and it will probably take more than some dirty floor coconut to turn it south at this point. :D

finsfan said:
I completely feel your pain, you do have Jester King tho so you can complain too much! :D

Yep, just a hop, skip and a 3 hour drive down the road. Not that convenient to go to from the Houston area.
It's a shame Houston doesn't have anything like JK.

Craft beer around me sucks compare to other places and I hate it. Some people do not realize how lucky they are but hopefully slowly it'll get better here

I am very aware of how lucky we are in SE PA - there isn't very much we don't get around here. For us, the 'hardship' is tracking down the shops that have what you're looking for.

When I racked my traditional stout to secondary,I 1st used a radiator filling funnel with a sanitized hop sack to pour the white oak chips & bourbon into the BB secondary. 2oz chips will NOT go through that skinny bloody neck@!#@$#%$&^#@!! Had to sanitize another hop sack & split it. Still had to fenegal it in there! BACHT!! Flash forward to today,The 3/8" tubing I bought at the lhbs was larger ID then at home depot & sucked air. Had to pump 5G manually. I hope it turns out ok,or I'll have 54.5 bottles of shizz for my efforts. And everything went well from mash to bottles too dang it...:eek::confused:

Fuzzymittenbrewing said:
Now that you mention it I never noticed how you guys are never drinking from growlers.

The only places to get growler fills around here are beer bars and some places that specialize in growler fills only. No breweries can fill growlers.

I completely feel your pain, you do have Jester King tho so you can complain too much! :D

What Wes said just a quick 3hr drive to get there. They are very limited here still and the special release will rarely or never leave their property.

There are some good breweries in Houston but nothing that special and stand out. Some breweries produce some great beer but still nothing like Tired Hands and simular. Its seems pretty tame. I'm going to change that when I open one (hopefully :D)

The only places to get growler fills around here are beer bars and some places that specialize in growler fills only. No breweries can fill growlers.

And are very expensive. No $6 fills. $6 pints yes. Some place just screw you over on growlers like 64oz is 4x the price they have per pint so no discount

Yeeeeeeee fooooooking hawwwww! I get to have fooooooking surgery again next Friday to get all my hardware removed oh and wait for it ....................... I get to be charged for a whole new procedure F.M.L. I'm sick of this sheeet missing days from work plus every time I step foot in his office it cost me.

Yeeeeeeee fooooooking hawwwww! I get to have fooooooking surgery again next Friday to get all my hardware removed oh and wait for it ....................... I get to be charged for a whole new procedure F.M.L. I'm sick of this sheeet missing days from work plus every time I step foot in his office it cost me.

that fooookking sucks man

NIZZLE said:
Wait don't you have Obamacare?

That blows. I guess the one positive is that your hand is healed? Will it take long to recuperate from this surgery?

NIZZLE said:
At least you'll have some good brews tomorrow ;)

that sucks dude, hopefully this one is a quick procedure and recovery.

And I thought you were joining me in the permanent hand-hardware club.

DisturbdChemist said:
And are very expensive. No $6 fills. $6 pints yes. Some place just screw you over on growlers like 64oz is 4x the price they have per pint so no discount

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. They completely screw you on growler fills around here.

NIZZLE said:
So the doctor is charging you for another hand job? ;)
Sorry man. Hopefully after this you'll be done and healed. And no more fighting.

Back