What are you doing instead of brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully I'm working this Saturday, then painting the nursery. I plan on bottling my coffee stout on Sunday. Oh and working on all the left over beer from my Xmas party last weekend.

I 'get' to go out of town to the in-laws... bottle Sunday, and God willing... brew. But that may be out.

Going to a LHBS today that I have not been to yet. Will be looking for ideas for my next brew. Thinking about some sort of IPA or a Dark Ale. Then I will most likely bottle a batch of Coopers Canadian Blonde that is ready to go. This will free up one of my fermentors for another brew.:rockin:

Sunday : Work on refinishing a 1939 Mosin Nagant Sniper Rifle for my neighbor, watch football and BBQ. :mug:

In the theme if I don't know why she swallowed that fly:

I know a home brewer who wanted to frame in his stone foundation so he could get room to brew in the basement,
but the stones were loose so he had to repoint the foundation wall,
And the moisture from the dryer venting inside was loosening the wall so he had to vent the dryer,
so he went to install a glass blocks in the window but the sill was rotten,
So he removed the sill and the frame was rotten,
So he removed the frame but the foundation stones were lose,
So he repointed the stones but the opening was now to big

So (deep breath) he poured a new concrete sil to support the block in the repointed window to install a vent for the dryer so the basement would be dry when he repointed the main basement so that he could frame in the walls for dry storage so that there would be room for the new electric brewery.

I don't know why he swallowed the fly ... I hope he don't die!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1419486315.506644.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1419486336.251503.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1419486349.163046.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1419486360.099464.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1419486380.526871.jpg

I hate project creep. At least you know its done right and you will not have problems with those parts anytime in the near future. Now for the rest of the house...

For want of a nail...

In the theme if I don't know why she swallowed that fly:

I know a home brewer who wanted to frame in his stone foundation so he could get room to brew in the basement,
but the stones were loose so he had to repoint the foundation wall,
And the moisture from the dryer venting inside was loosening the wall so he had to vent the dryer,
so he went to install a glass blocks in the window but the sill was rotten,
So he removed the sill and the frame was rotten,
So he removed the frame but the foundation stones were lose,
So he repointed the stones but the opening was now to big

So (deep breath) he poured a new concrete sil to support the block in the repointed window to install a vent for the dryer so the basement would be dry when he repointed the main basement so that he could frame in the walls for dry storage so that there would be room for the new electric brewery.

I don't know why he swallowed the fly ... I hope he don't die!

Still researching Kottbusser ale. Gonna work up recipe 1st draft in BS2 in a bit. Dampfbier & Bavarian hefe for later with left-over liquor...Want to put this recipe in 2nd homebrewing book. Busy busy...

Kitchen remodeling in our "new" old house.

Goal: wanted our dishwasher in the kitchen badly.

Problem: cabinets from 1950s not tall enough to fit a dishwasher under the countertops.

Solution: remove all cabinets with a crowbar and sledgehammer and replace them with our new cabinets.

Problem: plumbing from 1950s - no shutoff valves under sink, cast-iron drain pipe with huge freaking s-trap and lead-sealed joints, drain-pipe copper welded to the old sink..

Solution: shut off water to the entire house and install shut-off valves plus supply lines to the new sink. jigsaw the drain pipe off of the sink (break two jigsaw blades and finish the job with a hacksaw). beat the copper drain pipe out of the cast-iron joint, clean it up and fit it with a rubber adapter.

Problem: still can't install the dishwasher because the huge-ass cast-iron s-trap is in the way.

Solution: buy a reciprocating saw, saw the cast-iron pipe off flush with the lowest joint, hammer-drill a bunch of holes down into the lead, do two vertical cuts down the INSIDE of the pipe and let swmbo finish the job with a handheld sledge and a pair of chisels and a forehead lamp while I have a beer.

Problem: can't get all of the lead and oakum out of the bottom inner lip of the cast-iron joint, need to wait until tomorrow noon when the stores open to buy a pair of round-nose pliers to finish the job so we can install the new rubber boot.

I can't think of anything I hate more than working with old plumbing. However, I have a new 18-volt lithium-ion reciprocating saw from Bosch. I used a flexible metal-cutting blade and went through a 4-inch cast-iron pipe in less than 10 minutes without even draining the battery down a single bar out of five (I can test the battery capacity by putting the battery onto my drill and squeezing the trigger, thus activating it's "fuel-tank" battery level indicator). At 110 EUR for the saw and 6 EUR for a blade that is now in the trash can, the saw more than paid for itself on this one job alone - it would have easily cost me 300 EUR to have a plumber remove that s-trap from that lead-sealed joint. And bonus, swmbo has a tool to cut a path through the forest at our backyard now!

What I really wanted to be doing this weekend was making a batch of stout and a batch of cider.

Kitchen remodeling in our "new" old house.

Goal: wanted our dishwasher in the kitchen badly.

Problem: cabinets from 1950s not tall enough to fit a dishwasher under the countertops.

Solution: remove all cabinets with a crowbar and sledgehammer and replace them with our new cabinets.

Problem: plumbing from 1950s - no shutoff valves under sink, cast-iron drain pipe with huge freaking s-trap and lead-sealed joints, drain-pipe copper welded to the old sink..

Solution: shut off water to the entire house and install shut-off valves plus supply lines to the new sink. jigsaw the drain pipe off of the sink (break two jigsaw blades and finish the job with a hacksaw). beat the copper drain pipe out of the cast-iron joint, clean it up and fit it with a rubber adapter.

Problem: still can't install the dishwasher because the huge-ass cast-iron s-trap is in the way.

Solution: buy a reciprocating saw, saw the cast-iron pipe off flush with the lowest joint, hammer-drill a bunch of holes down into the lead, do two vertical cuts down the INSIDE of the pipe and let swmbo finish the job with a handheld sledge and a pair of chisels and a forehead lamp while I have a beer.

Problem: can't get all of the lead and oakum out of the bottom inner lip of the cast-iron joint, need to wait until tomorrow noon when the stores open to buy a pair of round-nose pliers to finish the job so we can install the new rubber boot.

I can't think of anything I hate more than working with old plumbing. However, I have a new 18-volt lithium-ion reciprocating saw from Bosch. I used a flexible metal-cutting blade and went through a 4-inch cast-iron pipe in less than 10 minutes without even draining the battery down a single bar out of five (I can test the battery capacity by putting the battery onto my drill and squeezing the trigger, thus activating it's "fuel-tank" battery level indicator). At 110 EUR for the saw and 6 EUR for a blade that is now in the trash can, the saw more than paid for itself on this one job alone - it would have easily cost me 300 EUR to have a plumber remove that s-trap from that lead-sealed joint. And bonus, swmbo has a tool to cut a path through the forest at our backyard now!

What I really wanted to be doing this weekend was making a batch of stout and a batch of cider.

Podz, I feel your pain. been renovating my kitchen since the friday before last. The end is near though, gutted the entire kitchen, removed some unnecessary wall that covered the water meter and whole house shutoff, wired in a secondary electrical panel, relocated the sink, added in plumbing for a dishwasher, and wired a proper amount of receptacles in the walls. Paint goes on the walls tomorrow, and the cabinets get installed. Then I gotta get the counters ordered and install the new floors. After that I will take delivery of the new appliances and finally have a kitchen again.

Finding and fixing old plumbing/wiring problems is a huge PITA, but at least now you know it is going to be done right. I mean I found that my oven was piggybacking the same circuit as my clothes dryer. That is fixed now and I can breathe more easily.

Finding and fixing old plumbing/wiring problems is a huge PITA, but at least now you know it is going to be done right. I mean I found that my oven was piggybacking the same circuit as my clothes dryer. That is fixed now and I can breathe more easily.

Here in Finland, and most of the EU I suspect, we use a dedicated three phase circuit for the oven/stove. My house is so old that it originally had a wood-burning stove in the kitchen, so the wire going to the stove is a lot newer than the rest of the wiring in this place. Anyway, it's three hots and a neutral jumpered to ground. Not sure if I'll yank it and run 5-core wire or not. In any case, I need to hammer-chisel a channel from the oven to the ceiling so I can get the cable off of the wall and mount my cabinets flush.

And still need to finish hammer chiseling plaster down to the brick and then replaster the walls behind the sink and stove before finishing them with tile.

Oh and the wiring - original. Due to the original wood burning stove, they ran the wiring all the way around the other side of the room (along the ceiling and down to drops). This wiring is so old it's covered with stiff aluminum pipe. You actually need to cut it into pieces just to remove it.

Swmbo is always in a better mood after I give her something to do with her favourite tool - a 2 kilo smithy hammer!

782532.jpg

Here in Finland, and most of the EU I suspect, we use a dedicated three phase circuit for the oven/stove. My house is so old that it originally had a wood-burning stove in the kitchen, so the wire going to the stove is a lot newer than the rest of the wiring in this place. Anyway, it's three hots and a neutral jumpered to ground. Not sure if I'll yank it and run 5-core wire or not. In any case, I need to hammer-chisel a channel from the oven to the ceiling so I can get the cable off of the wall and mount my cabinets flush.

And still need to finish hammer chiseling plaster down to the brick and then replaster the walls behind the sink and stove before finishing them with tile.

Oh and the wiring - original. Due to the original wood burning stove, they ran the wiring all the way around the other side of the room (along the ceiling and down to drops). This wiring is so old it's covered with stiff aluminum pipe. You actually need to cut it into pieces just to remove it.

Swmbo is always in a better mood after I give her something to do with her favourite tool - a 2 kilo smithy hammer!

782532.jpg

Yep. sounds about right. Ovens here are dedicated as well because there is the potential to draw a lot of juice. This was done as a quick and dirty job (the clothes washer\dryer were in the kitchen) and that too has been fixed. Sounds like you have some work ahead still. I am grateful for the drywall walls here though drilling through these 30 year + old georgia pine boards has been a chore. I have never stripped more bits than I have on this.

Demolition is the most fun part of any job. That is, until the part when you have to clean up afterwards.

I am grateful for the drywall walls here though drilling through these 30 year + old georgia pine boards has been a chore. I have never stripped more bits than I have on this.

Change to torx-head screws and you'll never strip another bit. They are absolutely wonderful. I've got a huge assortment of them in various lengths.

Change to torx-head screws and you'll never strip another bit. They are absolutely wonderful. I've got a huge assortment of them in various lengths.

Bah! I totally understand the concept of torx head screws/bolts but man, I can't stand those things. I used to work at a bicycle shop as a mechanic and those things were knuckle busters. I hated working with them (versus a Allen head). But I could see the benefit of them over a Phillips head

It's a balmy 38F today. A lot better than the -2F earlier this week.

Today I'm making a couple of sandwich loafs while watching football.

I am starting to think it wasn't the ancient 2X4s and instead was just crappy bits. Changed the ones I was using to a different brand and had no more problems. Got half of my cabinets installed today. Tomorrow I finish the rest of the drywall and paint. Tuesday I finish the cabinets and then have to order the counter top and do the floor. The end is nigh

Worked with designers on my first of many cost-effective homebrew devices. It's going to be my goal to put state-of-the-art features in the hands (and price range) of all my fellow homebrewers.

I'm going to rely heavily on support from my HBT family... Stay tuned!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I am a supervisor in a cabinet shop, this is what we use almost exclusively

To me, it doesn't matter as long as the possibility of slippage is eliminated. But curious, why are these your preference?

Ikea uses those and hex-head bolts on a lot of their furniture as well. Here in Finland, basically the only company that makes screws/bolts/etc is Wurth and they don't seem to sell those kind here.

I'm trying to get to my lhbs tomorrow to grab some Maris otter extract and some hops for a SMASH IPA. Second one gallon batch, second gallon ever...already don't trust kit beer. The only reason I wouldn't brew this weekend is if I don't have time to get to the store. It's half an hour from work, almost an hour from home.

not brewing ... ferm chamber is full :(

Finishing my 3 tier gravity brew stand and storage cabinet, and working on my keggle. Then starting the plan for my natural gas single tier brew rig.

That's what we all would like to believe. The more space, the more junk.

I've told SWMBO that the unfinished half of the basement is claimed in the name of Homebrew. I called dibs, dammit... that's a legally binding contact!

Yup. I claimed the parlor as my brewery/man cave with the computer in it as well. We gotta have our dedicated space to keep everything in one place, after all! :mug:

So, instead of brewing I thought I might get started on our living room gut/remodel. Oh, the joys of living in a 200 year old house. ..... Nah, I'll just brew :)

Painting the kitchen (again)
Picking out the countertops and floor tile.
Trying to rearrange the garage/other areas so that I have space to live in addition to renovate.

Its my wife's baby shower in Sat, so I'm going to the local sports bar to watch football with my FIL. Sunday, watching football at home and listening to the wife enjoy organizing her gifts and complaining about my making her watch football.

Back