What are you brewing now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Shady Bohemian" -- Czech dark lager
20210320_090456.jpg
20210320_131429.jpg

Slow down a bit. You harvested yeast from a commercial beer and brewed with it? Can you tell em how did you do it?
Interestingly, I did the same last year with yeast from a Chimay Abbey Ale (750 ml) bottle, but I tried twice with Ommegang and also with Duvel 750s (same parent company, Moortgat), and couldn't duplicate it - I think they use a different yeast to bottle than they do in primary.

On the Chimay, the cork indicated 2017, so the yeast was a couple of years old and in the bottle. My procedure was to (of course) pour off all the beer, and enjoy it! But immediately have ready a fairly small and relatively weak starter - something like 100 ml of 1.010. Instead of transferring the yeast out of the 750, I added the boiled wort to the bottle (figuring the bottle was plenty sanitized after being two+ years sealed). I used a rubber balloon instead of an air lock during the early stages. I swirled the bottle every now and then and kept the temp up at around 70 - 72 F (21 - 22 C). After the balloon inflated (may have taken more than 24 hours), I went to the next step, which was to add a slightly bigger qty of wort (150 ml) at a slightly higher gravity - like 1.015. May have done one more step in the bottle (repeating with slightly more wort, slightly higher gravity) before transferring to a larger starter vessel, but the idea is to gradually work the yeast cells up until you have something close to what you'd buy from White labs or Wyeast.

When the volume in the bottle was more than half, I started working with larger vessels and eventually worked up a pitchable quantity for a 3.5 gal batch (initial batch sizes for my first all-grain batches), but you could continue to build for a 5 gal or 10 gal batch size.

I'll say it was a one-of-a-kind batch. I really felt fully vested in the outcome, since I raised these yeast from a few million dormant cells to a few hundred billion active cells. The beer had an extremely nice Belgian-style taste profile, and I drank them faster than intended. I hope to try this again this year, and wish you good luck in trying to do the same.

Stout finished up yesterday and now to buy some maple syrup to keg on top of it. Gonna let this imperial stout mellow out for 6 months. Next is another pseudo lager that was absolutely phenomenal.

HB Hefe batch #16. Third Hefe brew. I optimized for 4VG and I really taste the cloves. The other ones were fine but third time's a charm!
20210414_191935.jpg

Gonna do my first Italian pils tomorrow. Under pressure because I don't have controlled temp . My first 3 attempts at a lager with pressurized fermentation have worked out well. Expecting the same.

Gonna do my first Italian pils tomorrow. Under pressure because I don't have controlled temp . My first 3 attempts at a lager with pressurized fermentation have worked out well. Expecting the same.
Damn, that took off! Started at 1.066 ( A bit higher than anticipated) and after 3 days its 1.010! One pack of 34/70 under25 psi.

Cream Ale and Mexican Cerveza, both pitched with Voss Kveik
When the cream ale is done, please post back on what you think of the flavor. last year the same cream ale recipe 3 out of 5 preferred the Voss as it had a slight citrus undertone vs the us-05. btw, the voss drops like a rock and was clear in the fridge after only one week.

Hola ya'll, long time no post...

Made landfall recently in the Galapaglos (sailed from Panama). The local "Endemica" craft brew brand aint bad.

Attachments

• 20220411_182905.jpg
    20220411_182905.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220412_114844.jpg
    20220412_114844.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
I’m about to keg an oatmeal stout fermented on Kveik. I was looking for some vanilla flavours but I don’t think they came through. I’ll have to wait for carbonation and serving temp though.

Back