What are y'all using to hold your fill hose to the kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like the Ruby Street Hook and Fill (Hook & Fill — Ruby Street Brewing) but I have trouble spending $70+ on it. What ingenious methods are y'all using to attach a fill hose to the top of your kettle?
I have a food grade hose from a dedicated hose bib in my brewery (garage) and use a hot water filter with a 90° SS connection that lets me hang it on the side of my HLT. I start at 125°-130° before heating to strike temp.

Seems as though a bottle washer would hang over the edge of the kettle just the same as Ruby's. Low budget style.
1656168162836.png

I fill from the top. RV drinking water hose to filter. Through my water meter and solenoid valve to braided hose. I put hose through the handle on the BK or HLT then up over the lip and in and it rests on the sidewall nicely while filling.

I fill from the top. RV drinking water hose to filter. Through my water meter and solenoid valve to braided hose. I put hose through the handle on the BK or HLT then up over the lip and in and it rests on the sidewall nicely while filling.
What is the size of your filters, and how fast do you push water through them? Full hose flow?

Whole house carbon filter just for chlorine. 10 Inch I think. Yeah full flow. Seems to work as I have never had any off flavor from chlorine.

The largest 10" filter measures 10" x 4.5". Maximum flow should be limited to about 2, 3, or 4 gpm depending on the specs of the particular cartridge. Flow house flow is typically double or triple that. For instance, a garden hose is about 5-7 gpm.

Point being that people often push water through filters faster than the filter can treat the water.

Russ

I'm guessing with my long boils is maybe why I don't have off flavor from chlorine.
The way I run my system I never do just a 60 minute boil. I prefer to do 75 to 90 minute boils. I have a little over a gallon in my cfc and hoses so I'll boil for a hot break then recirculate to swap the wort in the cfc and hoses and start again with a quick hot break then start my 60 minute boil. Was reading that 15 minute boil will release chlorine from water. I may slow down to see what different it makes. If some chlorine is making it through I'm wondering how that affects the mash. I don't pre-boil my water.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220625-112805_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220625-112805_Samsung Internet.jpg
    497.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Resized_20170516_210045.jpeg
    Resized_20170516_210045.jpeg
    540.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thanks! Does anybody here clip a hose to the top of their kettle for filling?

How long does it take to fill, Can't you just hold the line coming off the water filter? If it takes more than a couple minutes, then you might want to look into a less restrictive filter.

If you're using any kind of quick disconnect on the drain ball valve, you can put the compatible counterpart on the end of the garden hose and clip it right on. That's a much better way than any over the top options in my opinion.
1656293737461.png

1656293765200.png

If you're using any kind of quick disconnect on the drain ball valve, you can put the compatible counterpart on the end of the garden hose and clip it right on. That's a much better way than any over the top options in my opinion.
View attachment 773218
View attachment 773219
Ah! I didn't consider this. I have one of your systems, so I'll be looking at your BLQD to GH fittings. Thanks!

@Bobby_M - would I be causing any problems running water into my kettle against flow of the Topsflo pump? If not, I could run water it in the recirculating hose end. I thought about just putting it directly into the "T", replacing the pump input, but I can't shut off the output to the pump.

Back