What are the disavdantages to using a rectangular cooler for a MLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzybee

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My local BJs has a 62-qt "Coleman Xtreme" wheeled rectangular cooler for $35. I'd been wanting to get a round 10-gal cooler for a MLT, but this price definitely caught my eye.

What are the disadvantages to using a rectangular cooler for a MLT? I plan on batch sparging with a braided manifold.

If you want to batch sparge, there are no disadvantages. I have heard that the round ones work better for fly sparging, but that should be it. Grab it!

For batch sparging, almost none.

For fly sparging, probably uneven sparging of the malt. There's some diagrams in Palmer's book, but I've never seen any real world tests.

What are the disadvantages to using a rectangular cooler for a MLT? I plan on batch sparging with a braided manifold.

It's harder to dance around.
If you also use it as a seat it's large enough that you might have to share.

I use a 75qt Coleman extreme.. I fly sparge.. no problems. I built a manifold to do it of course.. I might be brewing soon and can take pictures once I dig out the brew setup. Essentially I built a copper manifold with little holes that sits across the length of the cooler.. slow drips.. never hits the grain bed.. no channeling, even sparge (as judged by the 80-85% efficiency)..

In short.. just go for it.

Do you brew 5 gallon or 10 gallon batches in it? If 5 gallon, is all the excess volume problematic?

I have heard that you will probably lose some temp due to that but if you wrap it in a blanket and preheat it, the cooler should hold temp really well (obviously depending on the quality of your cooler).

I bought the 52 qt extreme and have little lose of temp. I have only used it for a couple of 5 gal batches, but my efficiency was around 75% for each. Bought this because someday want to be able to do 10 gal batches without buying equipment again

I bought the 52 qt extreme and have little lose of temp. I have only used it for a couple of 5 gal batches, but my efficiency was around 75% for each. Bought this because someday want to be able to do 10 gal batches without buying equipment again

I have the 75 qt and have terrific heat retention. I think it is a non-issue unless you're doing really small batches in a huge cooler.

Agree. I have a 52q and don't lose a degree most brew days. Here's what I do: heat my strike water about 8-10* hotter than my actual strike temp. Move it to the cooler. Put the top on the cooler and let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes. Then, open it up, and stir the water until it drops to the actual strike temp (usually just a few minutes). Add grains, stir well, close it up and come back in an hour.

This gives the cooler some time to heat evenly, which reduces the likelihood that you'll lose much temp over the next 60 minutes.

I bought the cheap 28qt rectangular from WalMart. It actually holds 24 qts and there is no foam in the top. I tried using Great Stuff, but something about the surface of the inside of the lid prevented it from working normally and now I just fold an old blanket four times and put it on top. It loses about 4 degrees per hour, which can be pretty easily overcome by the addition of some boiling water--I'll have the lid off anyway to check pH, etc.

I am glad I only spent $15, because I have recently become concerned about the leaching of bad things from plastic into 155 degree water, and will (hopefully) start mashing in a heated stainless steel vessel of some sort soon.

Back