What are the best screw tops to use for wine bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdrotos

Reaction score
After doing research online, I have read that using screw caps is superior to using corks when bottling wine. It also seems to be a cheaper option. My question is, which kind of screw top is best to use for long term storage? I have seen Stelvin brand screw caps, which seem to be a good choice. I also have seen the standard 28mm metal screw caps. What made me notice the Stelvin caps, is that they have a quality seal built in. But I could not tell if you need a certain piece of equipment to put these tops on. Has anyone tried this brand? And how do people feel about the standard 28mm screw caps that most homebrew stores carry?

Stelvin caps do need a special machine to attach unfortunately. The 28mm capps are good, but not a substitute for a standard cork , and certainly not a high grade one. Most folks I know who buy them expect to drink their brew within a year. Hope that helps!

Latest posts

Back