What are beer laws and beer selection like where you're from?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
city ordinance here: you can't serve boiler makers or any sort of beer+shot combo drink.

its an anti-binge drinking ordinance...college town.

Actually, there's a state law in NE prohibiting the addition of any alcohol to beer inside of any establishment with a liquor license.

The UK`s liscencing laws are now very relaxed since the 24hr laws was applied. Any place that serves alcohol can apply for a liscence (sp) to serve alcohol any time it wants. Gas stations, conveiniece stores, bars, clubs it all the same

I'm in Louisville, KY. Bars are open until 4am except on Oaks and Derby day. . . when they can stay open until 6am. Beer, wine and liquor are sold all kinds of places. There are a few local microbreweries and our selection of craft beers is pretty decent. Only recently did they add the states 6% sales tax to alcohol (which, by the way, was already taxed once). Take a 1 hour drive south past Elizabethtown (entering counties that are closer to the bible belt) and the counties are mostly dry, some of them becoming moist in recent years. As far as dictating what people can and can't do, when I drive to St. Louis, I can carry my loaded pistol in my back pocket through Kentucky, through Indiana, then I have to unload the weapon, keep it in the trunk with the ammo in the glovebox before I get to the great state of Illinois. Upon leaving Illinois I can reload and carry my pistol. Now, you tell me who dictates what.

-Aaron

Utah is not as bad as some have it. There are some local craft beers brewed to 4% ABV that can be sold in the markets. A quite a few are milds and other English style ales, even a few IPAs.

State stores are the only place to get strong beer. They store everything at room temp. The ones here in St. George are open 11am-10pm Monday-Saturday and closed holidays and election days. The selection here is not that bad. There is a fare selection of west coast craft beers and the major imports. I can get a beer of most any style I'd like. The prices are not that bad. Many cost more 30 miles down the road in Nevada. Work often takes me into Nevada and Arizona and I pick up things a can't get here from time to time.

I don't drink out much. Last call is 1am. Most of the bars only have 4% beer. 4% beer is all that can be served on tap. Restaurants can get licensed to sell strong beer from bottles. Selection is usually better from the local crafts on tap.

All and all I don't even care. I'll make my own beer.

Veinman said:
In Alberta, Canada here.
The worst part of our liquor laws are the "anti-binge drinking" laws recently brought in which make it illegal to sell a pint of beer for less than $3.75 or any shot for less than $3, the only effect it seems to have on binge drinking is making it a lot more expensive.

Same thing happened in Halifax about 2 years ago. My campus bar used to have $7 pitchers at happy hour, and they ha an annual birthday event where the bar opened at 7, sold drinks for 35 cents or something like that, and raised prices by a dime every 15 minutes. It was carnage.

Thanks to a couple brawls on dollar-drink nights at the greasy clubs, the city raised minimum drink prices to $2.50. Campus bar now charges 3.25 for a happy hour pint, and 11.50 for a pitcher. Though if you know the bartender, they'll usually sell you a pitcher of "overpour" (beer that leaked out of the tap, excess foam that got dumped off pints and stuff. Flat, warm beer) for around $5. Though it's not a pleasant drink...

Same thing happened in Halifax about 2 years ago. My campus bar used to have $7 pitchers at happy hour, and they ha an annual birthday event where the bar opened at 7, sold drinks for 35 cents or something like that, and raised prices by a dime every 15 minutes. It was carnage.

Thanks to a couple brawls on dollar-drink nights at the greasy clubs, the city raised minimum drink prices to $2.50. Campus bar now charges 3.25 for a happy hour pint, and 11.50 for a pitcher. Though if you know the bartender, they'll usually sell you a pitcher of "overpour" (beer that leaked out of the tap, excess foam that got dumped off pints and stuff. Flat, warm beer) for around $5. Though it's not a pleasant drink...

You can't be serious. :drunk:

Broward County Florida (South East Florida)

When I worked at a gas station they wouldn't let me sell after 11pm and I couldn't sell on Sundays before 12pm. We can't have any containers between 32oz and 128oz (no half gallon growlers). Out brew pubs are far and few between and most that I have been to won't package to go. I heard until the early 2000's we couldn't have any bottles packed outside 12oz, 16oz, 24oz or 32oz bottles/cans. No imports in 11.2oz bottles.

That sounds pretty gross. Are those provinical laws or city ordinances or campus policy?? Here in Alberta the bar owners convinced MADD that binge drinking was the reason people drink and drive and MADD lobbied the government to set the minimum drink prices and the bar owners laughed themselves all the way to the bank. Now they advertise "legal minimum prices" and prices go up from there.

Other annoying laws:
Bars can't offer free drinks as this is against the minimum drink price laws
This also means if you win a gift certificate to a bar it can only be used for food
NO drink games of any kind or any promotion that encourages the consumption of alcohol
a general prohobition on anything that encouraging binge drinking at all

And we're supposed to be the Conservative province.

Considering CO's fantastic brewing industry, their liquor laws suck.
You can only buy 3.2 beer in grocery and convenience stores, and up until a couple years ago, you couldn't buy any alcohol on sundays. Bars close at 2, but that's not terrible. I'm not totally sure about getting pints at breweries, because Odell's lets you get a pint, but New Belgium only does tastes, and then will fill growlers and sell cases/bombers.

For the past (i'm guessing) million years, CO's been debating about whether to put it to a vote to be able to sell full strength beer in grocery stores, but nothing's come of it yet.

Apparently it wasn't legal for restaurants or bars to sell anything less than 3.2 ABW (so long Guinness), but no one really heeded that one.

Our Governor is one of the guys who founded Wynkoop brewing in Denver, so it looks like the beer laws are going to change a bit.

Can I say how rad it is to have a governor that used to own a brewpub? Super rad. That's how.

Back