What All Grain Method Do You Use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What brewing style are you using?

• I BIAB only

• I Multi-Vessel only

• I have tried BIAB but prefer Multi-Vessel

• I have tried Multi-Vessel but prefer BIAB

Results are only viewable after voting.

Morrey

Reaction score
Being that BIAB has really made a splash in the last few years, just seeing what method most brewers are using these days.

I use multi-vessel only
I use BIAB only
I have used multi-vessel but prefer BIAB
I have used BIAB but prefer multi-vessel.

Currently using BIAB. Used to do multi-vessel, but the last three batches have been BIAB.

Can you edit the poll to include "currently using BIAB but retaining the ability to do multi-vessel to increase capacity or do parallel brews"?

Being that BIAB has really made a splash in the last few years, just seeing what method most brewers are using these days.

I use multi-vessel only
I use BIAB only
I have used multi-vessel but prefer BIAB
I have used BIAB but prefer multi-vessel.

Currently using BIAB. Used to do multi-vessel, but the last three batches have been BIAB.

With three BIAB batches under your belt, do you have a feel for the quality of these beers compared to similar recipes produced from multi-vessel?

I don't notice a quality difference between BIAB or multi-vessel, but I have not tried a side-by-side comparison.

It's just two ways of doing the same thing. Neither one is better than the other, but one method may work better for a specific person, especially when space is concerned.

I use a cooler mash tun to mash and a 15 gallon kettle for my main brews, about 9 gallons. Have been planning to, and will next weekend, use a biab method in my old 5 gallon kettle for smaller, 2.5 gallon, batches. I just need a bag.

With three BIAB batches under your belt, do you have a feel for the quality of these beers compared to similar recipes produced from multi-vessel?

Pretty darned close. I'm still dialing in the volume, but it seems to be just about the same in terms of quality. I don't think there's anything inherent in either method that would suggest either produces a better brew.

I haven't adjusted my grain bill yet; I'm just assuming that I'll get s similar amount of wort w/ a similar efficiency.

I also don't really think there's anything inherent in BIAB that makes it less efficient; you and I had a PM conversation about sparging using BIAB, but I think we ended up concluding you wouldn't get much more if any out of sparging than if you are squeezing.

I don't notice a quality difference between BIAB or multi-vessel, but I have not tried a side-by-side comparison.

It's just two ways of doing the same thing. Neither one is better than the other, but one method may work better for a specific person, especially when space is concerned.

Agreed. Several years ago I saw the acronym BIAB and said what it is that?? Now I believe it is becoming more commonplace than I realized. It would be interesting if we see a 50/50 split, but I figure many who have invested in equipment for Multi V may be hesitant to abandon it. I have 2 mash tuns and a HERMS system sitting in my attic that I feel bad about sitting there.

Pretty darned close. I'm still dialing in the volume, but it seems to be just about the same in terms of quality. I don't think there's anything inherent in either method that would suggest either produces a better brew.

I haven't adjusted my grain bill yet; I'm just assuming that I'll get s similar amount of wort w/ a similar efficiency.

I also don't really think there's anything inherent in BIAB that makes it less efficient; you and I had a PM conversation about sparging using BIAB, but I think we ended up concluding you wouldn't get much more if any out of sparging than if you are squeezing.

Attended a LHBS brewing exhibition showing 3V with a keggle system. Lots of folks seem to be favoring BIAB possibly for simplicity sakes.

You made a strong case that sparging may not be more efficient than squeezing (pressing in my case). I only lost .05G per lb of grains in a Cali Commons today. My BH efficiency was 83% and I consider BIAB with pressing only method quite satisfactory. I suppose old 3V mindset lingers on and on.

I have two different systems, and use them both fairly often.

I have a three vessel system with SS 15.5 gallons kegs for each MT/ BK/ and HLT. I use this for brewing 10 gallon batches.

I also have a 5 gallon cooler converted into a MT and a 3 gallon pot for boil. I make 2.75 gallon batches on this one. I do have to add remaining wort (about half gallon) to the pot halfway through the boil to get a full 2.75 gallons into the fermenter, but the pot works great indoors on the stove.

I use the smaller system more for the sake of convenience, but I brew the "house favorites" on the big system about 6-8 times a year.

Truth be known I sold off most of my equipment and kept my burner and boil kettle. Shifting to BIAB is saving me lots of time and my beers are consistent with both systems.

The beer is the same, but BIAB is faster and easier. There's no reason not to BIAB.

I batch sparge with both systems and noticed that I get better efficiency with the 3 vessel tan I do with the BIAB cooler MT. Average for the 3 vessel - 81%.. for the BIAB cooler MT system... 74%

The beer is the same, but BIAB is faster and easier. There's no reason not to BIAB.

I don't find it to be faster or easier. Same amount of effort and time for me. I don't understand why you would try and start an argument with someone who is not knocking a technique. Maybe that type of attitude would be a reason?

I don't find it to be faster or easier. Same amount of effort and time for me. I don't understand why you would try and start an argument with someone who is not knocking a technique. Maybe that type of attitude would be a reason?

Hey not trying to start a fight. It's faster in that there is less to clean. Just stating the facts though. The vast majority of people also find it easier and simpler. If you're a new homebrewers, there's no reason not to BIAB. The only people who only multi vessel these days are the people who learned to homebrew before biab was popular and haven't bothered to update their practices.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/5-benefits-of-brew-in-a-bag-biab/

Just learning this whole multi-vessel thing myself. My main qualm is keeping my hot liquor hot because my brew-pot isn't insulated. This was my same qualm with BIAB because I'd have to wrap a blanket around my pot and take it off to heat it up and stuff. It was kind fun and felt very DIY, but I always had a feeling that I wasn't controlling the process very well. Upgrading has opened a whole new dimension of brewing to experiment and learn about.

I batch sparge with both systems and noticed that I get better efficiency with the 3 vessel tan I do with the BIAB cooler MT. Average for the 3 vessel - 81%.. for the BIAB cooler MT system... 74%

Are you squeezing the bag when you do BIAB?

I have done that. I did the calculations and found I was virtually identical in terms of efficiency. I think part of what makes that up is there are no deadspace losses w/ BIAB and by squeezing the bag/spent grain, I get out even more than I would have.

Something I want to do the next time I brew (maybe this weekend) is to squeeze that bag, then when I'm done, put the spent grain in a bucket, add maybe a gallon of "sparge" water, and see what I can get out of that.

My theory is that squeezing is analogous to sparging, in that by squeezing we're getting sugar water out of the interstitial spaces between the grain particles. Sparging rinses the sugar out of those spaces, squeezing squishes that sugar water out of there, just in a different way.

It's just a theory, but I'll bet squeezing is fairly close to sparging.

Reading the current results, I was pretty sure we may potentially see appx a 50/50 split between the two AG processes. Not saying either is right or wrong, just interested in what the trends were currently.

Several posted comments eluded to the thought when brewers have invested time and dollars in a MV system, they simply don't choose to abandon what they believe in and know. If someone sees no distinct advantage in one over the other, why change horses in mid-stream? They may so dialed into the MV process it would make no sense to relearn another process and go thru the setup changes. Or the same in reverse shifting from BIAB to MV.

Maybe the rise of BIAB popularity is coming from new brewers who see less of an equipment cost outlay (generally) with a system that "seems" less intimidating to learn from the onset. Both systems have pros and cons, but I wonder if BIAB brewers may be somewhat slanted towards folks starting fresh in AG?

From personal experience and from readings, I don't see our beers being exceptionally influenced by one process over the other. If a national beer judging competition was held in that most of the winners were from a particular process, we may see more of a push to that process. I don't see that as the case.

Something I want to do the next time I brew (maybe this weekend) is to squeeze that bag, then when I'm done, put the spent grain in a bucket, add maybe a gallon of "sparge" water, and see what I can get out of that.

I think your proposed "test" will be valuable information. I really look forward to reading your results once you read the SG of your "sparge" water from the grains that were going to be discarded. If you get an appreciable SG from the sparge, I'll be rethinking my press plate process.

I only started brewing last June, and I only started brewing with significant quantities of grain this January. I did a few partial mash BIABs and then gradually increased the amount of grain I was using until I didn't need DME anymore for beers that need less than 13 lbs of grain or so. (Maybe this system could take more, but I haven't tried it yet.)

I've always done a 60-90 minute mash at 148-152, then a 20 minute sparge at 170. Tons of squeezing. My beers don't seem tannic or anything, and they're very fermentable if I use a thin mash on a low temperature. I probably get 75% efficiency, since the brew calculator assumes that and I've been mostly on-target gravity-wise.

I'd be happy to use a mash tun, but I lack space for that much more equipment in my apartment.

The only people who only multi vessel these days are the people who learned to homebrew before biab was popular and haven't bothered to update their practices.

Bull****... Sorry to burst your bubble but it's a big world out there, with lots of brewers doing whatever, however they want to... and for various reasons, so using words like "All" or "Only" and making statements like that just makes you sound like a jerk.

I'm always trying new things, I'm constantly evolving my practices, (I think if you've read any of my various threads on here, you must realize that. )And I encourage people to figure out what works best for THEM... and not get all assholey that their way is the ONLY way.

I tried BIAB when it came out after multi vessel, (In fact I prolly was the first multi-vessal ones on here open minded enough to give it a try) and Idecided, with my current setup that I found using coolers easier for me.

That's what I encourage people to do.. try different ways of doing things and decide for themselves- Batch, Fly, rack to secondary, extended primary, glass, plastic, yadda yadda yadda, and decide for themselve not just to follow the herd.

I'm in the process of thinking about building an all plastic E-brewery for winter brewing, and evaluating what will work best in that situation....it may very well be E-BIAB or I may still go multi-vessel- not sure yet, but most assuredly what I will do is try it BOTH ways, before I make a decision FOR MYSELF.

Reading the current results, I was pretty sure we may potentially see appx a 50/50 split between the two AG processes. Not saying either is right or wrong, just interested in what the trends were currently.

Several posted comments eluded to the thought when brewers have invested time and dollars in a MV system, they simply don't choose to abandon what they believe in and know. If someone sees no distinct advantage in one over the other, why change horses in mid-stream? They may so dialed into the MV process it would make no sense to relearn another process and go thru the setup changes. Or the same in reverse shifting from BIAB to MV.

Maybe the rise of BIAB popularity is coming from new brewers who see less of an equipment cost outlay (generally) with a system that "seems" less intimidating to learn from the onset. Both systems have pros and cons, but I wonder if BIAB brewers may be somewhat slanted towards folks starting fresh in AG?

From personal experience and from readings, I don't see our beers being exceptionally influenced by one process over the other. If a national beer judging competition was held in that most of the winners were from a particular process, we may see more of a push to that process. I don't see that as the case.

One thing that just came up in conversation a couple weeks ago with, I think Homercidal the mod when he came to visit me, was that Homebrewing peaked a few years back, and we're actually on the "downside" of that curve.... Don't know if it's true or not, but it does seem like even this place is a lot less active than it was 6-7 years ago.

And I think like with any hobby, lot of "old guard" AG brewers who were multi-vessel (because back then that was the only way) have left it... while the majority of newer brewers are indeed opting for BIAB... SO I'm really NOT surprised there's a shift in how people are dong things... They both work...

It's pretty much the same as when coolers came around, pretty much replacing Zap A Pap or oven mashing as the primary ways of doing things... now I wonder if anyone mashes in an oven... or even knows what Papazians "Zap A Pap" was? Coolers kind of replaced that, and also caused a huge switch from Extract to AG, because it was a cheap, easy way to do things... And then I'm sure a great deal of Oven or Zappers left the hobby. Same is happening now with BIAB....

So I think a lot of it is due in part to attrition in the hobby. That along with multi-vessel brewers who did find that BIAB fit their process better than the old way...

I wonder what the NEXT leap in the hobby will be... and if THAT will then even usuarp BIAB? Probably... Just like cellphones replaced home phones, beepers and payphones, something else ever simpler will shift the hobby to some other method.

I wonder if it's going to involve sous-vide immersion circulators since they're coming down in prices and some people have begun to use them to mash with.... Or someone will come up with a way to hack something to make an all in one systems like those Krups Beer Machines.... but it will come from us... all the inventiveness that has brought us using coolers, to biab will move us to something esle.

:mug:

I think your proposed "test" will be valuable information. I really look forward to reading your results once you read the SG of your "sparge" water from the grains that were going to be discarded. If you get an appreciable SG from the sparge, I'll be rethinking my press plate process.

I can't really tell any difference between the beers I've brewed using a MLT and those using BIAB. As far as I can determine, both methods produce excellent beer, which is....why I am brewing in the first place.

And you might be interested in this recently-posted exbeeriment from Brulosophy, comparing squeezing and not squeezing:

http://brulosophy.com/2017/05/22/br...eer-character-exbeeriment-results/#more-94422

There are several variables that are influencing what we get out. In a traditional MLT approach, there are deadspace losses (presumably) that go against efficiency; further, rarely if ever do I read about someone squeezing the grain in such a system. So that's a possibility.

Squeezing or not squeezing in a BIAB approach also is a variable, as is potentially sparging; you could BIAB with about 5 gallons of strike water, squeeze out what you can, fluff up the grain, run a couple gallons of sparge water over that grain, squeeze again....

Knowing what I now know, and with a hat-tip to Yooper, if I were doing it over again using a MLT, I'd mash-in-a-bag and squeeze at the end. And find a way to recover the deadspace losses.

One thing that just came up in conversation a couple weeks ago with, I think Homercidal the mod when he came to visit me, was that Homebrewing peaked a few years back, and we're actually on the "downside" of that curve.... Don't know if it's true or not, but it does seem like even this place is a lot less active than it was 6-7 years ago.

And I think like with any hobby, lot of "old guard" AG brewers who were multi-vessel (because back then that was the only way) have left it... while the majority of newer brewers are indeed opting for BIAB... SO I'm really NOT surprised there's a shift in how people are dong things... They both work...

But I do wonder if a lot of it is due in part to attrition in the hobby. That along with multi-vessel brewers who did find that BIAB fit their process better than the old way...

I follow you well on all points, Revvy.

Like many hobbies, folks get all fired up, gung ho and the glitz wears off quickly. That's why I cruise Craigslist for home brew equipment and see deals at a steal. I bought a brand new in box Blichmann 20G kettle for exactly one half of what he paid. Said he just never found time to get involved. Plus attrition rate as you said...is the old guard simply phasing out and fewer new brewers are coming onboard? If or when they do join in, is it BIAB as we suspect?

Taprooms and nano breweries are popping up everywhere. Folks love craft styled beers....but is the fewer home brewer shift due to the convenience of grabbing a quick pint and letting some else do the work for us? Or looking at literally dozens and dozens of every kind of commercially available craft beer on the shelves of our upscale grocery stores? Why brew you own, invest the time and energy when you can buy what was not available 10 years ago? Unfortunately, Revvy, I have a hunch we are witnessing the fallout of a less active society. Am off topic but agree with your ideas.

Bull****... Sorry to burst your bubble but it's a big world out there, with lots of brewers doing whatever, however they want to... and for various reasons, so using words like "All" or "Only" and making statements like that just makes you sound like a jerk.

<Snip>

There's a tendency among some people to want to see others validate their choices; it's as if others, by choosing a different technique, are making a negative comment on their own choice.

That's just not so, of course, but to some people it looks that way. They want others to make the same choice as they did w/r/t equipment, technique, process, ingredients. This at some level is normal and natural; people, in general, aren't loners. They feel more comfortable in a group, and having others make the same choices provides them that membership.

It's even harder when one has invested time, money, and effort in learning a process, only to find out there may be one that is better (and it's clear from this and other threads that what is better depends on individual likes and circumstances).

This sets up a cognitive dissonance in people; they either have to acknowledge that their costs in time, money, and effort in learning a technique are wasted if they switch to a new approach, or find reasons to maintain their sense that the choice they made is the correct one.

Again--not saying one is superior. I've used both, and produced excellent beer with both. I can see BIAB as a way to get newer brewers into all-grain more easily than needing a MLT addition to equipment. But in no way does it invalidate what others are doing, and there are excellent reasons for staying with traditional methods, including ease of lifting, less mess (maybe), ability to fly sparge, larger batches, and others.

So, just to be sure everyone understands what I'm saying: if you're not using the exact same model of PH meter I'm using, you're wrong. :) :) :)

Taprooms and nano breweries are popping up everywhere. Folks love craft styled beers....but is the fewer home brewer shift due to the convenience of grabbing a quick pint and letting some else do the work for us? Or looking at literally dozens and dozens of every kind of commercially available craft beer on the shelves of our upscale grocery stores?

Why brew you own, invest the time and energy when you can buy what was not available 10 years ago?

I think this might be true for some... but I think there will always be beer geeks who find making it just as fun as drinking it, if not more so.

Unfortunately, Revvy, I have a hunch we are witnessing the fallout of a less active society. Am off topic but agree with your ideas.

THIS I think is a huge one.... it's the same thing that is affecting a lot of things... Think about Fraternal organizations like the Moose, or Masons, etc... they've gone down a slippery downhill slide in terms memberships over the last 2 decades.... And I think even Veteran Organizations are suffering in the same way- even though there's always vets, newer generations of people aren't big on joining "clubs" that much these days.

I'm thinking we're becoming a less "active" society? Though I thought that over the last few years we've had a peak in DIY culture.... think Maker's Fairs, etc. I thought everything like this was peaking...

I think it's a multi-faceted issue...

This is a good a topic btw... and I'm glad you included the answers that reflected people trying other methods and sticking to what they did before.

I'm using a 3 vessel, two tier HERMS system. My driving factor was my friends can drink beer, lots of beers, so batch size was the key. I brew 1/2 bbl to 20 gallon batches. They are often high gravity batches. I did not want to deal with a hoist or basket and have to manage lifting 90-120 lbs of wet grain.

It came down to how can I fill a 15 or 30 gallon barrel with the least amount of effort.

I can see the appeal of BIAB. It's got less start up costs and fits in a smaller footprint. You can make good beer either way. So to each their own!

i just have to add my 2 cents. I quickly learned there is no wrong way to do this. With that said, i use a 3V system, but i've used the BK to do BIAB batches, and yes i've done some extract/partial mash batches even after outlaying the money and space for the system. i think it all comes down to comfort & time for brewing. Some days i really need to get more beer in the pipeline but don't have time to plan a full brew day, boom - extract batch. Other times, i may be showing someone the hobby and don't want to overwhelm them with the 3V, so we go BIAB.

But for my styles and my favorite beers, i know i get consistent results on my 3V system, and it's probably because i've spent the most time on it, and not that it's the "best way" to do it. I'm tempted all the time by things like the Grainfather, or all in ones, but i attribute that to my thoughts on the cleanup process of the 3V system. But then again, there are other times where i become a freak about my mash temp consistency and couldn't pull it off (personally) without the HERMs setup that i now know. If your beer on a BIAB system is good, and my beer on a 3V system is good, what does it matter?

It's a craft/hobby that I enjoy the process as much as I enjoy the result. Maybe the decisions on what to brew on are being made on a sliding scale that balances the effort of the process versus the resulting product. Some people may just want the beer to drink, while others may do it more for the enjoyment of a brew day. If you enjoy your system & your product, march on !!

Cheers

Aside from the issue of lower efficiency, I don't see a significant difference in the final outcome of the product. I actually brewed a small batch Czech Premium Pilsner with the biab method that took second in the first round of the NHC this year.

As for whether or not I squeeze the bag, I do not. I pull it out and run about 2 quarts of sparge water over the top of the bag, then let it drain while sitting on a colander for about 10 - 15 minutes. That may account for the lowered efficiency in my biab

Aside from the issue of lower efficiency, I don't see a significant difference in the final outcome of the product. I actually brewed a small batch Czech Premium Pilsner with the biab method that took second in the first round of the NHC this year.

As for whether or not I squeeze the bag, I do not. I pull it out and run about 2 quarts of sparge water over the top of the bag, then let it drain while sitting on a colander for about 10 - 15 minutes. That may account for the lowered efficiency in my biab

This was an interesting read that Mongoose33 shared with me:

http://brulosophy.com/2017/05/22/br...eer-character-exbeeriment-results/#more-94422

This article compares squeezing vs non-squeezing using the drip method. I was interested in astringency and the article's author noted none that was detected in a taste test.

Only concern was a bit of haze in the squeezed version. Seems he tested the beer fairly young and my experiences are that most beers will drop clear given adequate time being cold stored/lagered.

I BIAB, I have no plans to go 3V because I've built my system around BIAB, it's what I could afford to do when I moved to all grain. I will say this much, if I had not gone all grain, my stuff would have ended up on Craigslist, because in my opinion, the extract beer I was producing sucked.

Other times, i may be showing someone the hobby and don't want to overwhelm them with the 3V, so we go BIAB.

I can't agree more. My brother in law expressed interest in brewing after he discovered home brewed beers can be as good or better than commercial beers. (That's another subject for sure) I have insulated mash tuns and HERMS kettle/system but have favored BIAB for a couple of years now. So I showed him the BIAB setup in operation and he loved it.

Just so he could have a flavor for the 3V system, we went to a brewing exhibition at a LHBS where they used a 3V keggle system. He felt it was a bit intimidating and he quickly asked about the expense factor.

He already bought a nice boil kettle and burner for BIAB, but the good thing is he can use these items for virtually any process even if he adds on to go 3V. But like you said, getting someone started simply is the best idea, and where they go or expand from there is totally their choice.

It's pretty much the same as when coolers came around, pretty much replacing Zap A Pap or oven mashing as the primary ways of doing things... now I wonder if anyone mashes in an oven... or even knows what Papazians "Zap A Pap" was? Coolers kind of replaced that, and also caused a huge switch from Extract to AG, because it was a cheap, easy way to do things... And then I'm sure a great deal of Oven or Zappers left the hobby. Same is happening now with BIAB....

So I think a lot of it is due in part to attrition in the hobby. That along with multi-vessel brewers who did find that BIAB fit their process better than the old way...

Hey Revvy- sorry to have offended you with the type of wording I used. I probably shouldn't have worded it like that.

But you realize in your next post you go on to say the same thing I was saying But using a lot more words? Most new brewers are choosing BIAB (Who know biab exist anyway). There's still a lack of awareness of biab at LHBS, because they're often ran by old guys plugging the old multivessel way... plus it makes them more $$$ than simply selling a pot, burner, and and bag.

The main reason why a lot of the old guys and even new guys quit Homebrewing is because they don't have time, $$$, or dedication to stick with the multivessel system. There's a handful of people at the local club who were intimidated by the 3 vessel method, closed to giving up or only brewing a couple times per year until I showed them BIAB.

I was only giving reasons why BIAB is becoming so popular.... I'm not in the minority even. Follow the link I posted for more info! I never said one method produced a higher quality beer.... Just that biab is simpler, easier, faster and cheaper for most people who aren't already used to brewing the old way.

I think this might be true for some... but I think there will always be beer geeks who find making it just as fun as drinking it, if not more so.

That would be me. :)

OT warning: OT coming

THIS I think is a huge one.... it's the same thing that is affecting a lot of things... Think about Fraternal organizations like the Moose, or Masons, etc... they've gone down a slippery downhill slide in terms memberships over the last 2 decades.... And I think even Veteran Organizations are suffering in the same way- even though there's always vets, newer generations of people aren't big on joining "clubs" that much these days.

I'm thinking we're becoming a less "active" society? Though I thought that over the last few years we've had a peak in DIY culture.... think Maker's Fairs, etc. I thought everything like this was peaking...

I can't let this go without adding a comment. Why are people less involved today? My view is that in times past, there were simply fewer things competing for people's time....and there are more ways to connect to people than there used to be.

Take this forum as an example. I get to have discussions with other like-minded people here that would be impossible without the internet. There just aren't very many people locally doing this beermaking thing, to say nothing of doing it at the level I am doing it. The only place to find people, knowledgeable and imaginative people, is on the web.

Same goes with things like Facebook and other social media platforms; in some ways, they replace the need/desire for face-to-face interaction. People used to connect with each other at gatherings, and that was largely the only way they could easily connect. Now, I'm engaging in conversations with people across the globe, and have less need to interact in face-to-face environments.

The same thing goes for entertainment. At a time 125 years ago, how could you hear good music and song? It had to be played and sung live. What about drama? Had to be done live. Much of what people did for entertainment required personal interaction and connections at gatherings often held explicitly for the purpose of entertainment. Not any more.

We are no longer geographically limited in our associations. My local homebrew club isn't local; it meets 25 miles down the road in Dubuque. I have one local brewing friend; the rest are online or in Dubuque. Most brewers in that LHBC are extract brewers; few can engage me in a conversation about all-grain, to say nothing of the effect of PH on finished beer flavor (a discussion I'm having with Morrey via email right now). They don't read HBT, don't read Brulosophy and the exbeeriments, don't buy the books I do. The only place I can find people to engage on these topics is HERE.

Whereas once people might be limited to joining just a few local organizations, now the menu has expanded drastically. It's one reason why, locally, our community theatre struggles. Back in the day, it's what there was. Now, it has to compete with Netflix, cable TV, Dish, etc. And it can't do it.

It isn't so much that people are less active, I don't think, as they are less active locally. But often still, they are active.

My 2 cents.

I have a "hybrid" approach. I have a 3-gallon cooler with a false bottom that doesn't work that great, if I try to mash in more than 4.75(ish) pounds of grist or use a "sticky" adjunct I get stuck sparges, so I'll often put the grain in a mesh bag just in case I need to lift it out and get the wort flowing again.

I'd prefer to not use a bag, but I got tired of the false bottom being awful. I do like that the cooler holds the heat, and I am getting dialed in to consistently having 73%(ish) efficiency.

biab is simpler, easier, faster and cheaper for most people who aren't already used to brewing the old way.

This is a huge selling point in getting new brewers into the game. With the hectic lifestyle that many folks have, the most simple process is potentially more attractive.

And certainly a new brewer would not be accustomed to brewing the old way, so these new folks are prime candidates to try BIAB.

For selfish reasons I'd hate to think our home brewer base is shrinking. Possibly means more LHBS will close and make driving distances for supplies even greater. Also harder to find local brewers to meet and brew together. Mail order suppliers reap the rewards I suppose.

Hey not trying to start a fight. It's faster in that there is less to clean. Just stating the facts though. The vast majority of people also find it easier and simpler. If you're a new homebrewers, there's no reason not to BIAB. The only people who only multi vessel these days are the people who learned to homebrew before biab was popular and haven't bothered to update their practices.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/5-benefits-of-brew-in-a-bag-biab/

Totally untrue. I just started all grain in March. I use multi-vessel. I find your comment insulting.

Back