what air lock works best for cold crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

entlebock

Reaction score
I could not find this answer in the other threads. So I was hoping for some help, when I am ready to cold crash what air lock do you like to use. Last time I used an air lock I got from B3 that I could close and the pressure in the better bottle sucked the sides in so it sucked in lots of air when I opened it to rack it. I have a blow off tube, or a 3 piece air lock, or an "S" airlock is one better for cold crashing? So I was wondering what you like to use on better bottles for cold crashing? Thanks for your help.

Me personally I bought most of my brewing equipment in a kit or stuff from CL. I threw those stupid air locks in the trash. NO# 6.5 Plug Hose and a gatoraid bottle the only way. IMO

Sanitize a party balloon and stick it over the mouth of the carboy; balloon deflates, inflates and no worries.

What air lock works best for cold crashing?

Technically, the absence of an air lock works best since you're pulling a vacuum. ;)

Sanitized cover or not, you're pulling in bacteria, yeast, and oxygen from the air. Your best option is to use a vessel (e.g. keg) that can withstand a vacuum and/or positive pressure.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I usually use a 3-piece airlock filled with Everclear (grain alcohol). I have yet to have a temp change suck all of the liquid through the airlock. At most a few drops. And any bacteria strong enough to survive the trip through the everclear barrier is going to come get me anyway.

Yeh. But you can't drink a foam stopper. Everclear on the other hand ...

Foam stoppers work too.

i had one on my first carboy secondary attempt for a month and boy did it accelerate the conditioning time! in fact, at room temp, i was barely able to float the keg before it had that wonderful oxidized cardboard flavor...

i would try the balloon, but i would put it on early so it would partially inflate with off gassing co2 and not merely get inhaled.

anymore, i just go right to a keg after 10 day primary then let it age there as long as i need and blow the yeasties on the first hard pull.

I usually use a 3-piece airlock filled with Everclear (grain alcohol). I have yet to have a temp change suck all of the liquid through the airlock. At most a few drops. And any bacteria strong enough to survive the trip through the everclear barrier is going to come get me anyway.
+1. Same here.

Back