What a day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EineProsit

Reaction score
When I was a kid I learned to ride a bicycle at a early age. I remember that on more than one occasion the very moment I thought I had it down pat I would crash.
Today after 25 years experience of home brewing on and off I was up at the crack of dawn getting set to brew a Two Hearted clone. All was well till I under shot my 150 mash temp by 2 points. Hindsight I should have let it be. I’ll spare the details but mash temp jumped to 160......I frantically began stirring in a vain attempt to lower the mash temp and gave it up at a modest 153. Prior experience tells me I’ll still have beer just not what I’d planned on. More to come. Happy brewing

The fastest way to drop your overshot mash temps is by adding some cold water or ice and stir it in quickly. A quart or less of (ice) cold water may have done the job within 30 seconds.

RDWHAHB! You still made good beer.

nothing some gluco couldn't fix....and 148, for even a few minutes probably converted it with mostly beta-amylase....

out of curiosity, what was your calculated efficiency? because i usually do a two step mash at 150f, then 162f....

damn, i didn't get efficiency like that but before i learned to slow down the sparge....

where was the thermometer top or bottom? might have been hotter at the top if at the bottom....
Yeah, I’m telling you....what a day. You’re right tho, I got in a hurry during the sparge My thermometer is integrated just above my manifold ball valve on my circular 10gal water cooler mash-tun.

I'm sure that's the last time you'll make a mistake in brewing.....:)

I like the bicycle analogy. Seems like every time I think I have this all figured out, something comes to the fore to bite me. I need to cultivate a feeling of mild anxiety while I brew, worrying about what I might have forgotten. That's when it should all go fine.

I hope. :)

My thermometer is integrated just above my manifold ball valve on my circular 10gal water cooler

it probably was hotter at the top then...you might want to consider gluco for this batch and call it a Brüt....i'm not sure if you're going to get very good attenuation with out it....just a thought...

Don't panic and get in a rush for undershooting your mash temp. I would much rather undershoot than overshoot. Next time either forget about it and let it ride... 2° low is next to nothing in the scheme of things. Or just add small amounts of heat slowly until you get to where you want.

Or just add small amounts of heat slowly until you get to where you want.

easier in a kettle then a round cooler...i have to either, add boiling water, or drain off some wort and bring it to a boil to add back when i do my step mash.....i play it by eye....

I would much rather undershoot than overshoot.

+1, i'd rather get 1.006 FG, then 1.024, any day......

easier in a kettle then a round cooler...

Since your OP didn't specify how you were mashing I didn't specify how to add heat.

i have to either, add boiling water...

There's your answer. Add boiling water. Just do it slowly a little bit at a time.

+1, i'd rather get 1.006 FG, then 1.024, any day......

Mashing at 148° instead of 150° isn't going to make that much of a difference. Leaving it be would have been the better choice considering.

i don't get your post? mashing at 148f instead of 160f would......

Follow the OP. He says "I undershot my 150 mash by two points". He didn't hit 160 until he tried to adjust. I'm saying he should have left it alone if he only missed that low. I assumed you had read the post as well and knew the original error was only 2 degrees low.

Follow the OP. He says "I undershot my 150 mash by two points". He didn't hit 160 until he tried to adjust. I'm saying he should have left it alone if he only missed that low. I assumed you had read the post as well and knew the original error was only 2 degrees low.

lol ??? isn't that what i said in my post? "i'd take 1.006, over 1.024, and would have let it ride at 148f"

Took a hydrometer reading of my
nothing some gluco couldn't fix....and 148, for even a few minutes probably converted it with mostly beta-amylase....

out of curiosity, what was your calculated efficiency? because i usually do a two step mash at 150f, then 162f....
I believe my worry was in vain. I took a hydrometer sample today and FG @ 1.010 .......It’s young at 1 week but already perfectly balanced and already drinkable.

I believe my worry was in vain. I took a hydrometer sample today and FG @ 1.010 .......It’s young at 1 week but already perfectly balanced and already drinkable.
RDWHAHB was the best strategy. Glad it turned out very well. Chances are you'll never be able to replicate this, no matter how hard you try.
:mug:

Back