What’s this blue in my mead? Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ars3113

Reaction score
Hello everyone! First time homebrewer here. I’m making 2 gallons of a spiced mead (2 separate 1 gallon wide mouth fermenters) and I saw this in one of them after about 4 days of primary. Sanitized a spoon, fished it out (broke in two) and decided I’d keep tabs on it. Felt and looked almost like a soft plastic, and decided that something had probably somehow gotten in. Hasn’t returned in that gallon, but a very small one can be seen in the other gallon, about a week into fermentation now, and now I’m concerned. I made sure everything was thoroughly sanitized when I made the must, and I can’t decide whether I should be worried or just attribute it to strange fermentation. Appreciate any advice, I’m doing my best to learn!

Attachments

• FD26B250-A1D2-4F9C-B953-234522F0E226.jpeg
    FD26B250-A1D2-4F9C-B953-234522F0E226.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 45
  • ED5CBC10-6C8F-4FFB-9C1E-71ACFB0AEDF5.jpeg
    ED5CBC10-6C8F-4FFB-9C1E-71ACFB0AEDF5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 43
Looks like a foreign object to me.
That’s what I thought too, but I could watch something similar form in the other gallon over the course of a day, which now makes me wonder if it’s something growing in the must to be concerned about or some strange effect of this particular fermentation.

If it doesnt show up again. Your probably ok. Probably.... Seriously though looks like a piece of sponge or cloth.

Back