What’s a quicker way to bottle beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keredo

Reaction score
I’m a relatively new home brewer. I have two batches I’m getting ready to start, and I’ll have about 100 bottles to cap and fill. Is there any type of equipment that will help me bottle faster? Or do I just have to be patient and bottle all 100 beers for an hour?

Also, I’ve spoken to a few friends who brew currently and brewed formerly, and they said kegging is the next step if I don’t want to bottle so much. However, I don’t think I’m at that point yet, and I do enjoy having many bottles to give away to friends and family.

I was just wondering if there were any methods/tools that would expedite the bottling process.

I prefer batch priming so I siphon into a bottling bucket and add the priming solution to the swirling wort. I then lift the bucket onto the counter above my dishwasher. I then use a Vinator to spritz the bottles with Starsan and put them on the bottom rack to drain. The bottling wand is attached to the spigot of the bottling bucket and the door of the dishwasher catches the drips. Fill a bottle, place a cap on top and set it on the counter. Fill and cap the rest. I then go and crimp them all. I used a Red Baron wing capper for about 8 years, then got an Agata bench capper. The bench capper is a bit faster.

A helper will speed things up a little. But unless you keg be prepared for an hour or two total time.

Here's how I got started kegging:

k2.jpg

All you need is a refrigerator that will accommodate the height of the keg, a keg, a cylinder of CO2 , a regulator, tubing from the regulator to a quick-disconnect (QD) that feeds gas to the keg, and a picnic tap starting with a QD and ending with the little black faucet which in the pic you can see peeking out from behind the right side of the cylinder.

The cost of such a basic system can be fairly cheap if you're patient in collecting the parts. Used ball-lock kegs cost about $50. (Here's an example from Craigslist). A new 2-gauge regulator costs $50, but you can if you're patient find them for less. A new 5# CO2 tank costs about $65, but you can sometimes find 10 and 20 pounders for less than that. CO2 tanks need to be recertified every 5 years so if you find a screaming deal on a tank, probably it needs recertification. I had a "free" 10-pounder recertified and filled for under $40 where i live, but YMMV. The picnic tap with QD will cost $7-10; the tubing plus QD for the gas side, maybe $6 or so.

A fill of CO2 will vary. I pay under $18 to refill at 5# cylinder. Larger cylinders (10#, 20#) cost proportionally less by buying the CO2 in greater bulk.

So--Used corny keg, $50. New regulator, $50. New CO2 cylinder $65+ fill $20. Parts, $15. that adds up to $198, but you can do better if you're patient. You said you have buds nearby who can help you, there must be someone local who could help with this or, better yet, sell you some stuff used.

I think there's value in starting kegging this way, because you learn about the keg and gas system without the further complication of a kegerator or a keezer. BUT, if you found a screaming deal on a kegerator or keezer, well, you'd buy it. :)

Once you have this basic setup, all of it could be repurposed in a permanent setup. And from there, the sky is the limit. You can control the number of taps, spacing, how it looks, how you label the taps, virtually everything.

So, you've seen how I started. Here's the intermediate version, a used freezer I painted with blue chalkboard paint and wrote on to provide the menu. With that keezer I started with 3 taps, eventually expanded it to 5 later when I had the need and the money.

keezer3tapsmall.jpg keezer5tapsmall.jpg

When that keezer died I bought a new freezer and rethought and redid a lot of the concept. Now I have this, which includes a screen menu and a glass rinser on the left:

keezerandmenu.jpg

So--if I were you, I'd embrace the bottling thing for a time or two, just to get your feet wet. @kh54s10 's advice about on how to do it is excellent. In the meantime, you can continue educating yourself on kegging, browse for-sale sites like Craigslist, FB, and so on so you become informed on prices, and look to move ahead.

FWIW: One thing I didn't like about bottle conditioning is there always is a skim of yeast on the bottom of the bottle. Yes, you can decant the beer off by pouring slowly, but it's a pain (IMO) and if you give your beer away to friends, they may not do that, mixing up yeast into the beer and then...well, yuk. That's why I moved to kegging and forced carbonation, but I still can bottle off the faucets when I want. So it's not an either-or proposition. With bottling only, you can't keg, but with kegging, you can bottle, too.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy the journey!

Bombers or the swing top style goes quicker . However if you share the 12oz might be a better option. A spigot , small piece of tubing and a bottling wand .

Thanks everyone for the great advice! Mongoose33 your setup is amazing! I’ll get there eventually. One of my biggest obstacles is space. I live in a small house with only a bit of space, so getting an extra fridge for a keg is not an option right now. Maybe one day.

Check out the allinonewinepump.com vacuum pump. I have one and love it. It does a variety of tasks for you. Makes bottling quicker too.
Cheers

Bottling sucks, there is really no way around it. My process was pretty much like kh54's.

Boil up your batch priming solution, add to bucket, rack beer to bucket, have a tub of sanitizer with girlfriend to help dunking and draining bottles. Do about 8-10, then cap and repeat.

If you have dry hops, getting your bottling wand partially or totally clogged with them is almost assured.

There is only so much you can do to limit oxygen exposure. However I think the bottle conditioning process might help with this.

I was always afraid I was going to bowling-pin the 8-10 bottles sitting there waiting to be capped. Thankfully never happened.

Personally I was never able to get consistent bottle to bottle carbonation with batch priming, even with moderate stirring.

Kegging isn't entirely labor-free, but it is a vast improvement. I'd find the room. Mongoose has your setup. A dorm fridge and a couple 2.5 gallon kegs should get you started and fit almost anywhere. They aren't really going to take up much more space than 50 bottles anyway.

Personally I was never able to get consistent bottle to bottle carbonation with batch priming, even with moderate stirring.

Why do you think that happens? I have only had a couple in over probably about 60+ batches that had uneven carbonation and I rarely stirred any of them.

I've always batch primed my beers, and never had an issue with inconsistent priming.
My methos was to put the sugar solution (a cup of water with the sugar - usually 4 ounces or so - plus or minus depending on the beer - brought to boiling then shut off) into the bottling bucket, then racking the beer on top of it.
I would try to have the tube at the side of the bucket, giving a gentle swirling / mixing whirlpool action.
I normally bottle into bombers, maybe a 12-pack or so of 12-oz bottles, though I haven't done that much lately.
Unfortunately, there isn't much else to shorten the bottling process, at least at homebrew levels.
In negotiations to get a fridge for beer bottled and kegged - (it'll double for extra food in certain times)
but haven't carved the space / funding yet.

Why do you think that happens? I have only had a couple in over probably about 60+ batches that had uneven carbonation and I rarely stirred any of them.

I don't know... seems to be mostly unique to me, but stirring or not, never made a difference. My only guess is that the sugar layers quickly, and I never got around to try stirring again halfway through before I started kegging.
I bottled probably 5 batches or so, about 1/5th would be overcarbed, 1/5th undercarbed, and the rest somewhere in the middle.

Since then I bought a pack of fizz drops to bottle off a 6-pack or so if my volume comes up a bit high... With those they all come out consistently over-carbed in 12oz for all but the fizziest of styles... I just can't win with bottle condition carb level. :rolleyes:

Kegging is a choice, not a "next step" in my opinion.
I find bottling easy because my bottles are always clean and I've done it enough to get good at it. Flip-tops are fast, as mentioned and the same with batch priming and the swirling method.
On bottling day, I'm left with sanitizing the bottles with the vinator
shopping
which gets filled with a sanitizer like Starsan and letting them drip dry on the bottom rack of the dishwasher.
Having a partner helps but I've seen folks bottle just as quickly without one.

I’m just going to echo what everyone else’s process is and just say that just using a high pressure bottle washer, bottle tree, a bench caper and a vinator cut my time significantly.

And obviously having help cuts the time, when I bottled my kids would help me by the time I started kegging they pretty much did it and I did all the heavy lifting.

My wife actually bought me my first kegging setup and with doing 10 gallon batches I figured I would bottle half and keg the other half because I liked having bottles on hand to take when I go out but I honestly have never bottled another batch of beer, I did bottle some mead a few years ago.

Kegging does have some downsides like the upfront cost but that can be for another day.

I've been bottling for years and just started kegging, it really is an awesome difference. If you are paying for bottles, then kegging will reduce your expenses in the long run. You can also split a batch to keg some of it and bottle some, that way you get the best of both worlds.

If you want to keep bottling, the other suggestions here are all good: An extra pair of hands (one person filling while the other person caps), a bottle filling wand, a Bench-top bottle capper.

I disagree that flip-tops are faster to cap than crown caps. I use both types, and with a bench-top capper the crown caps are definitley faster.

I've gotta say though, if you are able to fill 100 bottle in only one hour, including setup and cleanup time, then that is an amazingly fast time for that quantity. If it is 100 bottles in an hour, not including setup and cleanup, then that is still a decent speed. Bottling is a lot of work.

I've been bottling for years and just started kegging, it really is an awesome difference. If you are paying for bottles, then kegging will reduce your expenses in the long run. You can also split a batch to keg some of it and bottle some, that way you get the best of both worlds.

Why would you pay for bottles?
I bought bottles for my first batch. I didn't plan ahead. About $24 back then. Kegs were $45 then and are usually around $50 now. I have 4 kegs at $45, so I have $180 plus all the other equipment. I have a couple hundred bottles, more than 500 at one point, other than the $24 for the first batch I have $0 invested in the bottles. You need caps and priming sugar for bottles but you need co2 for kegs.

IMO, kegging will not reduce your expenses in the long run. Co2 costs more than corn sugar and caps.

You can also bottle straight from the keg.

Invest in some 22oz bombers, they make bottling a batch go much faster. Also, get yourself a good bench capper, that will really speed up your operation.

I stubbornly bottled 33 batches before realizing I need to brew way more often than I can stand to bottle so I'm just now getting into kegging. I've kept all of my bombers and about 3 dozen champagne bottles for big stouts and Belgian ales that need to age. I'll also get a beer gun for filling standard bottles for friends right from the keg.

As @b-boy, @Jag75 and @Jayjay1976, have pointed out, buy some 22oz bombers. I use 22oz bombers for serving at client events and 12oz long necks to give away. As suggested, a good bench capper will save time and will be much easier to use.

I’m a relatively new home brewer. I have two batches I’m getting ready to start, and I’ll have about 100 bottles to cap and fill. Is there any type of equipment that will help me bottle faster? Or do I just have to be patient and bottle all 100 beers for an hour?

I have been using the DeMario semi-automatic for some time now together with Grolsch bottles, see post #40 .
Closing each bottle as the next is filling, I have it mounted to a bench stand where is slides up and down in place above each bottle.
T.W.

Question on bench capper. I dont bottle much but had to upgrade my old one . Never used a bench capper before . I noticed on my caps I can feel the rim of the bottle . Almost like i capped em too hard idk. One quick way to bottle is get ya a couple minions . I had my daughter & son n law help with bottling . Then i slowly back away once they get into a rhythm lol. Next thing you know it's all bottled .

I had my daughter & son n law help with bottling . Then i slowly back away once they get into a rhythm lol. Next thing you know it's all bottled .

This was the approach I took to get my Son to mow the lawn when he was 12. Make it look fun, then sneak away. By the time he figured out it was work, it was too late. He was stuck with the job. :D

Question on bench capper. I dont bottle much but had to upgrade my old one . Never used a bench capper before ..

Use swing top bottles, Grolsch e.g. 16 fit exactly in a standard milk crate and 3 crates to a 5 gal imp (23litres) batch.
T.W.

Use swing top bottles, Grolsch e.g. 16 fit exactly in a standard milk crate and 3 crates to a 5 gal imp (23litres) batch.
T.W.

I use swing tops sometimes . I try not to give those bottles out. I have cases of regular bottles and a ton of caps , that's why I bought a new bench capper.

I have been using the DeMario semi-automatic for some time now together with Grolsch bottles, see post #40 .
Closing each bottle as the next is filling, I have it mounted to a bench stand where is slides up and down in place above each bottle.
T.W.

Did you alter the part that goes in the bottle to get it to fill from the bottom? If not how are you keeping the beer from getting oxidized when the beer drops into the bottles?

Vinator to sanitize fast.
Fastracks to hold bottles.
Bulk prime in bottling bucket and put the bucket as high up as you can, maybe a couple milk crates on the counter.
The longer the drop, the faster the bottles will fill.
Get a bench capper, highly recommend the Anvil for $65.

Bulk prime in bottling bucket and put the bucket as high up as you can, maybe a couple milk crates on the counter.
The longer the drop, the faster the bottles will fill..

Definitely bulk prime. But if you're using a bucket with a spigot, the drop shouldn't be an issue. That should only matter with siphoning.

16 fit exactly in a standard milk crate
Standard crate size, in the US at least, is 13" X 13" and square or around 30cm X 30 cm. 500ml is Grolsch size.
Unless you're dealing with very different sizes, you get 14 per milk crate.

Milk crate in Canada measures 12" x 12" inside measurement.
Grolsch bottles are 455ml.
The new style <3" in dia fit 16 to a case.
The old style of 455ml are slightly shorter and a little extra on dia.
So either 16 new (455ml) style or mix and match for both to fit.
I have gradually been phasing the old style out in favour of the slimmer version.
Generally have 10 crates full at any given time (10 x 16).
T.W.

I like these. You can find them on ebay occasionally. I generally pay ~$10 for one.

Perfect for bombers or grolsch style bottles.
Just 12 though?
The milk crates go locally here for an average of Can$5.00 or less, if lucky, and you should fit 16 Grolsch, if new style.
T.W.

Adding a 2nd spigot to a bottling bucket will cut the fill time in half. Attach a spring operated bottle filler wand to each spigot with a short piece of racking tubing and fill 2 at a time. If you have have someone to help you cap, it can go pretty quickly. And yes, a bench capper also helps.

Adding a 2nd spigot to a bottling bucket will cut the fill time in half. Attach a spring operated bottle filler wand to each spigot with a short piece of racking tubing and fill 2 at a time. If you have have someone to help you cap, it can go pretty quickly. And yes, a bench capper also helps.

I have enough trouble watching the one to catch it right at full!!!!!

If you want to keep bottling, the other suggestions here are all good: An extra pair of hands (one person filling while the other person caps), a bottle filling wand, a Bench-top bottle capper.

I disagree that flip-tops are faster to cap than crown caps. I use both types, and with a bench-top capper the crown caps are definitley faster.

I've gotta say though, if you are able to fill 100 bottle in only one hour, including setup and cleanup time, then that is an amazingly fast time for that quantity. If it is 100 bottles in an hour, not including setup and cleanup, then that is still a decent speed. Bottling is a lot of work.

The cost of buying bottles is an excellent point. Depending where you live it’s getting harder to find commercial craft beer in bottles. Bombers are dead, and it’s only legacy craft brewers that still bottle at all.

When I lived in an apartment where I didn’t have room for kegs, I didn’t mind bottling. The key was to rinse my Homebrew bottles immediately after pouring the beer into a glass.

Milk crate in Canada measures 12" x 12" inside measurement.
Grolsch bottles are 455ml.
The new style <3" in dia fit 16 to a case.
The old style of 455ml are slightly shorter and a little extra on dia.
So either 16 new (455ml) style or mix and match for both to fit.
I have gradually been phasing the old style out in favour of the slimmer version.
Generally have 10 crates full at any given time (10 x 16).
T.W.
I figured it had to do with different sizes being used. I double-checked volume (500ml) in case I was mistaken. Not that they don't sell smaller Grolsch sizes here, I just haven't seen one.
Ten crates is a great inventory.

I figured it had to do with different sizes being used. I double-checked volume (500ml) in case I was mistaken.
AFAIK Grolsch don't make the old style bottle anymore, I checked the manuf. stated capacity of the new ones and they show 450ml.
Instead of the fancy exterior pattern they have the vertical word GROLSCH on each side.
(Google shows it).
I still have a few of the original brown ones.
T.W.

Back