Wha-oh!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masampson

Reaction score
some of the dudes went to get some beer ingredients yesterday for brewing today. HOWEVER, they left the yeast (starter pouch) for an IPA in the car overnight. keeping in mind that i live in maine, and it's currently like 75-80 right now, do you think the yeasties are fudged up or will they be fine? we can get more if necessary, just dont want to waste good yeast if i don't have to

Did it go below freezing down there last night? I suspect not so it should be fine as long as it's jn the fridge now. That is unless you're making a starter.

I might be relocating up that way soon (checking on jobs, one in Scarborough, another could be further up the coast).

If they left it in the car during the day as hot as it was, I would be worried. Overnight was pretty nice, I think in the 50's up here so it should be ok if it was just overnight.

Yeast are fine up to about 120F, where they start to fry n' die. I'm sure there is a lower limit where yeast cell walls start to collapse, but it is well below freezing.

I read a story a few months ago about scientists that found a colony of 45,000,000 year-old yeast within the stomach of a bug encased in amber. Of course, what better way to see if the yeast were still viable than to brew beer with them.

So the scientists brewed a pale ale with yeast that had been dormant for 45,000,000 years, and the suckers woke right up, reproduced a new healthy colony, and fermented the brew.

So I'd say if 45,000,000 year old yeast from the stomach of a bug encased in amber are viable, yours that were left in the car overnight in Maine are going to be just fine.

Though I try not to think about it, I have to believe yeast experience worse conditions than your yeast did overnight when they get shipped from manufacturer to distributer to homebrew shop to customer. So, my point is your yeast is probably just fine.

Back