Weyermann pilsner malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbadal

Reaction score
I just picked up a bag of said base malt for brewing a few hop forward saisons and a few white IPAs
Whilst having a pint at my favourite local brewery after passing through the LHBS i asked the brewer what he did about pilsner malt and DMS his answer went like this;
I have a closed boil kettle so it could be a problem BUT, i have condensation drains which, crazily, drain the condensation containing any DMS.
You as a home brewer with a substantial boil-off and open kettle have no problems with that and 60 min boil is perfect.

That being said this is my first bag of pilsner (i'm a pale ale/maris otter guy) so because I have hop dominated flavour profiles can all you pilsner heads give me some advice for mashing or do i continue with my infusion and sparge like normal and boil for 60 min and hide any possible vegetal flavours with hops?!?!

thanks in advance guys ; )

I boil my pilsner based beers for 90 minutes. My understanding is that a vigorous 90 minute, open boil is sufficient to drive off most DMS precursors.

Mash and sparge as usual (Weyermann is fully modified), and boil as long as you need to. I tend to go with 90 minutes for all-pilsner beers even with a nice hard boil as it can't hurt. If you want to go to 60 minutes, you certainly can but make sure you get a vigorous boil for the entire time. Don't cover the brewpot when chilling (DMS is still formed during chilling), and chill quickly. You won't have any issues.

Latest posts

Back